Anybody use Photoshop?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Ericax

Ericax

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

I have Photoshop Elements 8.0 and I'm pretty sure it isn't the best program for this kind of thing. I haven't had any training or anything in using it, so I'm kind of just winging it. There's a few things that I'm not really sure about, like is it possible to convert text to outlines using Photoshop? HELP please!

And also, how much would it cost to get Illustrator, CorelDraw, Fireworks or Flash?

Thanks so much

#2 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hi Ericax,
I don't actually have Photoshop Elements 8, but I think I can help you. There actually isn't a "create outlines" option in Photoshop. The closest thing to that would be Rasterize Type. Just a warning though, once you use this option, the text converts to pixels and is no longer vector based... so re-sizing the text will cause pixelation.

Here's how to rasterize text—it's for Photoshop Elements 5 but it should be similar to 8: How to Rasterize Text in Photoshop Elements 5 | eHow.com

#3 Ericax

Ericax

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

But it said if you rasterize, or "simplify" I don't think you can use it for contests, can you?

#4 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

It depends on what your rasterizing and what the contest entails. If the text needs to be edited at a later date, then the text should not be rasterized. But if you're creating a logo for example, you should be using Illustrator over Photoshop.
Hope that helps :)

#5 Diab

Diab

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

First of all, Photoshop is very very different than Photoshop Elements. Photoshop Elements has about the usefulness of MS Paint. It's a very limited program.

All these programs can be very expensive, but if you are an art student, you may be able to get them for free or for a large discount from Adobe.
Look here:
Student discount software, Student edition software | Adobe

#6 Ericax

Ericax

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

Psh. Ms paint. I know I'm not that good at designing things, but I've been a member on this site for 4 days, and I placed 2nd in a contest already.
I don't mean to brag, but I believe you've greatly underestimated the merits of ps elements.

#7 Ericax

Ericax

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

(Thank you GD. That does help a little)

#8 HaHDesigns

HaHDesigns

• Designer
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Hopefully you figured it out and it was the same as Photoshop. :)

#9 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

I would not use Ps for making any logo unless your sure it is not going to be resized larger than 2x.. But that is very unlikely. I do not recommend that you attempt to convert your raster image to a vector one due to pixilation even in a vector state... Use the right tool for the job... Square pegs dont fit in round hole and never use a hammer to fix your harddrive lol... so why use a raster app to make a vector comp.. Just saying lmao

#10 BenONE37

BenONE37

• Designer
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

Photoshop 8? I would suggest updating before doing anything else..

#11 cfmenz

cfmenz

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Photoshop elements is a stripped down bare bones version of photoshop. It is probably good for learning the basics but photoshop is better. For logos, using a vector based program is better, such as illustrator. Both are more expensive than elements but you get what you pay for

#12 stubie2

stubie2

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Agree with using right tool for right job. Photoshop is an immense program, not sure about Elements, so there are workarounds for most things if you don't want to fork out for the whole CS set. I think the closest to outline type would be to select text, convert to shape and preserve vectors. On output everything gets rasterized anyway so just make sure resolution is good enough.

#13 coprophagus

coprophagus

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

as simple as right click, and indicate rasterize text, more than enough.

#14 prabhuganga

prabhuganga

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

Dont use Raster based softwares for designing logos...
they have limitations in rescaling and similar purposes, so most of the contest holders wouldn't prefer them.
Use vector based applications like Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw. Once you start working with these programs, you'll certainly enjoy creating logos in the right way...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users