• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:26 PM

If "administrators" and "moderators" can enter contests, what prevents a conflict of interest? I am beginning to have second thoughts about this forum.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#2 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:55 PM

How is it a conflict of intrest if the client chooses the design?

#3 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:59 PM

Because Administrators and Moderators can have an impact on what is submitted, and on the direction of threads. And perhaps even delete and move items submitted.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#4 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 12:55 AM

There is no way to stop people from entering contests in an open forum like this.

Would you perfer to see a mod/adm post their design or would you perfer they get a second secret username and post their design?

Just about everyone on this forum is here becasue they love to design. Giving people a chance to enter their designs is what this website is about.

#5 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:07 AM

I would prefer that mods and admin's were not entering contests. If you have the power to delete or comment and stop posts, you shouldn't be posting entries in contests. Is you name "Bush" by any chance?

#6 rtbenson

rtbenson

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:13 AM

I think mods/admins should be able to enter contests, but under a different username that does not have mod/admin rights. Also, when mods/admin edit/move a post, they should identify themselves in the edit, and tell the reason for editing the post.

#7 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:19 AM

Perhaps, under the terms where you recuse yourself's from the current competition, but I see no evidence that is being used. In fact I have no idea who the admins and mods are. They change daily. It used to be we knew who was in the upper level, but I see new names all the time. And if I am competing with them that's just not on the up and up.

#8 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:31 AM

If they change identity to post entries, but have the authority to delete posts, under another identity, does that make it alright? That's what I am questioning. If you have the ability to delete and move posts, you shouldn't be entering contests. Want the power, give up the right to enter.

#9 rtbenson

rtbenson

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:43 AM

good point, I never really thought of that. On that note, I would have to agree with your position.

#10 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:47 AM

what if one day the admins said: "Phacker, we want you to be a mod!" and you graciously accepted.

Would you then stop making designs just because of a silly title?

I highly doubt any mod or admin would delete a post just so they could win. I think that these contests are (and always should be) fair game for anyone in this forum.. despite their title.

#11 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:49 AM

Thanks Rtbenson, know you from other boards, and know you are fair. I just recently became aware that admins and mods here also were posting enteries. It just seems to push the balance off center. Not sure I am going to stay here much longer.

#12 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:53 AM

I would never agree to a title and power. I would rather be just a designer and be free to enter competitions.

#13 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 02:37 AM

It's much ado about nothing. As far as I know only 2 people on here are allowed to delete posts, Me and resurepus. Mods can not delete posts, they can not even edit posts. Only admins can (as far as I know)

Maybe you would have a valid point if designs were being deleted or if admins were winning logo designs, but that is not happening.

I brought in a client (posted in logo design forum) if I was really greedy I would of never suggested a logo competition and did the logo myself. In fact its the first "guranteed pay" logo contest on here/

So instead of debating this subject we should be thinking on how to get more clients. Becasue that's what really matters. No clients no design contests.

#14 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 03:07 AM

But Onvx you are one of the people also entering contests.

#15 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 04:36 AM

Yes I know that, and what is your point? have you noted anything that I did that would somehow favor my design to win?

#16 karl472001

karl472001

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 03:55 PM

Why shouldn't they be able to participate? Mods participate in contests at many other boards, and I don't see why that wouldn't work here.

#17 Fred|AccountDeletedAgain

Fred|AccountDeletedAgain

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 09:50 PM

Originally posted by phacker
Because Administrators and Moderators can have an impact on what is submitted, and on the direction of threads. And perhaps even delete and move items submitted.

The first thing I thought when I red this was LOL.
How can you even think we would do that...?

#18 Lucidic

Lucidic

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 03:21 AM

I hate stuff.
I design Flash and HTML sites
as well as full Identity Brands and more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users