Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

milliondollarhomepage and its clones

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

Let's face it, the dude has made his $1 000 000 on the world famous The Million Dollar Homepage (plus a couple of hundreds thousands more since he is selling the last thousand pixels on ebay). The question "what do you think about it?" would be too simple. We all envy him ;) What really interests me is that the clones of the page have sprung up in great number - most every day you can find a new request for the script that runs it on scriptlance.com And some clones make real money on their websites. Not hundreds of thousands, but thousands of dollars which is still isn't bad. So what I would like to ask is whether you think this will become a new sector of web advertising or the trend will die in a few months?

#2 KorteX

KorteX

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:07 AM

Eh, not sure. Im planning on setting up one just for the heck of it. If it does well then good, if it doesnt, well its only $50 loss(cost of a pixel site).

• Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:23 AM

I know what you are talking about. I have registered milliondollarchat.com which will be a little bit more complicated than just installing the pixel script. It will be a kind of guestbook with paid messages. Right now I am working on the concept and when I am done will hire a programmer to make a custom script for me.

#4 KorteX

KorteX

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:56 AM

Oh, so they pay for a spot, and they write a message about their company? That sounds like a really good idea.

#5 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:50 AM

MAN! thats crazy! that dude must be glad as heck lol what a cool idea...
www.uniment1.com :: Design Services

#6 KorteX

KorteX

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:10 AM

I just looked at the bid so far for that kids last 1000 blocks and it was at like 150000.

• Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

Oh, so they pay for a spot, and they write a message about their company? That sounds like a really good idea.

yep. a kind of a guestbook with paid spots. They will be able to post a message about themselves and have a small avatar to display their logo or whatnot.

#8 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

wow...smart idea:) BUT w/so many copycats, I think the hype will die down.....;(

#9 ShadesofBrian

ShadesofBrian

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

Wow! I hadn't heard about this. The script would work almost perfect for an idea I had for my comic book site, though. Now I have to go find that script! :D

#10 grimsqueaker

grimsqueaker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:58 PM

I think unless there's a new 'twist' to it, it will definitely die down. Advertisers aren't going to pay to be on a page of... advertisments. Lol!
The only reason it worked for that lucky kid, was because he had a tug-at-heartstrings, humerous story that got picked up by newspapers. Once he was famous, then his site started to prosper.

• Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:47 PM

I just looked at the bid so far for that kids last 1000 blocks and it was at like 150000.

that's strange... I've seen the 150,000 bid too, but for some reason the pixels were sold for $38,100.00

#12 grimsqueaker

grimsqueaker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:54 PM

that's strange... I've seen the 150,000 bid too, but for some reason the pixels were sold for $38,100.00

They probably withdrew their bids, or hte owner may have cancelled it (if the bidder was not serious or something). Auctions like that ususally attract false bidders. :(

#13 C Wheeler

C Wheeler

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:22 AM

So that's where it came from. I saw something like that on Horrorfinds, and thought, "Wow, that's unique." But I didn't really expect it to work. And god, what an eyesore! In other words, I don't really like it, and I doubt it will last too long considering the time it takes to load. And the fact that my eyes are still buzzing from looking at it.

#14 Sylense

Sylense

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:02 PM

yea that's crazy... although I think it will die out soon with all of the imitation sites and the over exhaustion of it all.
http://en.wikipedia....Dollar_Homepage

#15 Crazy Bat

Crazy Bat

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

This idea ticks me off...because I didn't think of it myself. Kudos to the person(s) for coming up with this and making some good coin.

I figure this will be like the other trends we see. It'll spawn many many copycats, CNN and/or Attack of the Show will highlight this story, it will die off, and then come back in about 5 years where it'll happen all over again in some other weird form.

My $0.02 :)
Crazy Bat Designs
Home of the phpBB WASO
Helping You Reach The MOST People Possible

#16 C Wheeler

C Wheeler

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:50 AM

Actually, I did think of something like that a few years ago, but didn't think I could pull it off. Bargh.

#17 exo

exo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

I want to start one called milliondollarnipples.com and you can pay a buck to display your nipples to the entire internet.

#18 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:56 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of "resumania.com", where you display your resume to the entire interweb for some price.

P.S. This post is also my patent, if anyone makes the site I get the royalties ;)

#19 leito

leito

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

That was a genious move! I hope one day, I have an idea like that! Who wont!

#20 pxs

pxs

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:13 PM

It was a good initial idea but as every new clone is released the value of the idea decreases, so no I don't think it will become a new sector, especially taking into account all the grief with DOS attacks he got on the site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users