&nsbp;

#1 rucker

rucker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:12 PM

The new thread can be found Here.

I understand the thread is new and may experience growth/interest challenges. I also understand that this is a public forum where views and opinions can be openly discussed. However, I don't understand why we as a community have...degraded, in a sense, to mock other artist's work.

So far, in the thread, I haevn't seen any good analytical and "inspiring" review of the work presented. It's really cheap jokes and a sarcastic approach to one person's opinion. Do we really need to devote an entire thread to such a show?

Most designers, especially those specializing in Logos/Branding, know of Tony Spaeth. His wonderful site, Identity Works is a model for great criticism and education. He writes short reviews that showcase identities with both their pros and cons.

If we were to look at Tony Spaeth's site as an example, we could say that all posts in Designs That Suck should include the following:
  • Date of the Work
  • Origin of the Work (artist, owner, or simply 'unknown')
  • Description of the Work
  • Pros of the Work
  • Cons of the Work
  • Reason for both Pros and Cons
  • Suggestions for Change
  • Tips for Implementation (if you were to encounter this type of client try doing a, b, and c)
I think we could move in a more positive direction with this approach. By positive, I mean as an educational resource and humorous guide.

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

Thank you for your comments, BJ! Yes, the forum is new and Matthew is not an experienced writer. What we wanted to do is to give a start to the new forum and encourage others to post messages with constructive critisism and tips on how the work could be impoved. A place where we could discuss common design mistakes. Well, not everything working out as I originally planned. So I am adding a poll to your thread. We should decide whether we should keep the forum and try to imporove it or just remove it. Comments, just like yours on how we could make an interesting and educational forum without insulting anybody are appreciated.

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

update: the poll doesn't work. so, please, post here your thoughts about the new forum.

#4 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

yea it needs a little cleaning up over there :p
www.uniment1.com :: Design Services

#5 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:46 PM

I agree with bjrucker....it seems to negative, not constructive(and it is only nes opinion, :))...:)

#6 grimsqueaker

grimsqueaker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

I think the person who writes it should at least follow the basic rules of english grammar. Especially if he is representing the forum. (You put a disclaimer there saying he does, but c'mon. ANYONE who is given an ENTIRE SECTION to play with is representing your forum.) He talks about why logos are an eyesore, but it's the way he types that gives ME a headache. :p
Also, his style is extremely unprofessional. While I understand it's comedy, it doesn't belong on this website (I think, anyway). This is supposed to be an artistic, encouraging atmosphere. If we start bashing other people's logos with no good reason... (His posts are mostly sarcasm, I'd understand why a thread like that would be valuable if there was any good information there).
Most of the members who respond to typo's thread are RIGHT on track. I say give them the charge of the section, not typo.

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:03 PM

Guys, I got it! Matthew is not the best critic in the world. The questions are:
1. do we keep the forum or delete it?
2. if we keep it how do we make it more educational? 2.a.are there any volunteers to post threads in the forum?

#8 rucker

rucker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

Guys, I got it! Matthew is not the best critic in the world. The questions are:
1. do we keep the forum or delete it?
2. if we keep it how do we make it more educational? 2.a.are there any volunteers to post threads in the forum?

I think we can keep it - perhaps tweak the name (Case Studies; Designs Needing Improvement; Design: Critical Analysis; etc). I offered suggestions in my opening post about how it can be made more educational. If we focus on a balance bewtween pro and con, while researching and applying design principles, the thread can be more of a resource and 'inspiration'.

I'm willing to volunteer.

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:35 PM

I have changed the title and the permissions of the forum. It is now premoderated, which means that anybody can post new threads there, but they will pecome public only after moderator's approval. You are welcome to share your observations of others' designs.

#10 rucker

rucker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:45 PM

Ok, cool :-)

#11 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:08 PM

Wow. I just saw this thread. I am glad I am not the only one that felt this forum didn't belong in our community.

Just so everyone knows: not everyone wanted this put up in the first place.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#12 grimsqueaker

grimsqueaker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:43 AM

Wow. I just saw this thread. I am glad I am not the only one that felt this forum didn't belong in our community.

Just so everyone knows: not everyone wanted this put up in the first place.

Lol, good to hear that.
:D

Not sure if I'll get a reply, but I'll ask anyway. How exactly did this come about? How did a new member to the forum get his own personal rant section? Did he volunteer, did he pay for it, etc.

#13 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:57 AM

Lol, good to hear that.
:D

Not sure if I'll get a reply, but I'll ask anyway. How exactly did this come about? How did a new member to the forum get his own personal rant section? Did he volunteer, did he pay for it, etc.

I was kind of wondering the same thing??

#14 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:41 AM

I believe this question has already been answered, if you just read the posts very carefully. Also, please include your vote for or against the continuation of the forum.

#15 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:06 AM

...AGAINST.......Sorry, start on the wrong foot, well;), you'll always land in it(or step in it:)).......

#16 DtRiCk

DtRiCk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:09 AM

Against...

#17 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:02 AM

FOR ..... all this talk about "constructive critism" lets make it that then we all can learn something ......

#18 Kalin

Kalin

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:44 AM

FOR.... I think that the form has the potential to be something beneficial to designers. #1 It encourages us to take a look at the designs around us and learn from other people's mistakes. #2 It helps us to understand that as designers, we must put our work out on a limb and be willing to realize that not everyone is going to love everything we make. #3 It is helpful based upon the fact that it encourages us to separate ourselfs from what we create in order gain some beneficial criticism. #4 It allows us to realize that there is a lot of bad design out there and that clients need our help to improve their dreadful design situations. #5 It encourages us to raize the standards for our own designs

However, I do not believe that the way that the designs have been critiqued thus far are becoming. A little restraint must be shown in some areas. It has become a fude over opinions and I don't feel that anyone is getting any of the benefits that could be possible out of this forum at the moment. Someone that is willing to see both sides of the story and encourage others, rather than discourage them would do a world of good as the critiquer.

#19 digitalmunky

digitalmunky

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:04 AM

FOR... I believe with a little bit of respect from our community we can make it work. I discovered this forum, myself, last night... I too felt that it was a bit negative and reflected poorly on the entire DC.net community. Therefore, I posted in response to the negative side of the discussion, as well as to some of the postives, and shared how I felt the issues should be handled. I understand the title of the forum was "Designs that Suck", but since I didn't agree with the concept of the forum I shared my own ideas and hope that at least some of you saw that someone else was thinking as you do.

Maybe the name "Design Critique" would be a better name; that's my opinion.

;)

#20 seawise

seawise

Guru

• Designer
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:27 AM

Against

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users