• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 DesignsbyD

DesignsbyD

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:14 PM

I would really like some feedback. Its a bit low on material, but its my first site. Thanks!
ChapmanMultimedia.com

#2 chromeguy

chromeguy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:47 AM

Pretty cool. I would see if you can get the background images to load a little quicker. Maybe optimize the jpgs a little.
Sometimes you feel like a nut, other times, you just look like one...

• Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:13 PM

I didn't find "back to homepage" buttons on any of the pages. I think they wouldn't hurt...

#4 DesignsbyD

DesignsbyD

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:58 PM

Thanks, I put the home buttons on, thanks for the reminder. I am a bit unsure about optimizing the backgrounds. I will try and figure it out, thanks for the feedback! :)

#5 Innov8

Innov8

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:05 AM

Woow very impressive work, the only suggestion I have would to be maybe limit the amount of content it kind of hits you in one go and is abit disstracting. all-in-all a job well done. :)
INNOV8MEDIA.NET

#6 pukkadesigns

pukkadesigns

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:17 AM

Hey D,

not a bad attempt for a first time.

1) how about studying the relation of the placements of elements on the site. is there another way you could have laid out the main page?

2) as someone chrome mentioned, the images could use compression for faster loading time.

3) i checked out the layouts of the concept cereal boxes. have you got a finished mockup of the cereal box? sometimes, more often than not, non-designers are not as 'mentally visually gifted' as we designers are, and have a hard time visualizing things, even if it is laid out flat before them.

It would be a good idea to present a mockup of the box in 3d, or in real life.

Best of luck!:-)

I wouldn't mind turning into a vermilion goldfish//Henri Matisse

#7 cibgraphics

cibgraphics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:44 PM

Interesting concept. Not to keen onthe city background or the logo. I think a nice navagation system would do it well. Also taking down the font size as well for your links.

#8 DesignsbyD

DesignsbyD

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:30 AM

First of all, thank you for all of the suggestions! I was a bit swept up by my first site (thank you for all of your patience) so now i am going back and improving it. I have only done the first page, but at least you can see what I've done. That should hopefully show you the direction I am going in, and also to stop me if i am too far off base. Thank you again for all of your help!!!!

NEW AND IMPROVED (sorta)

Feedback is great!! Keep-up the advise!!!

#9 cibgraphics

cibgraphics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:50 AM

Everything is way too big!! I needed to expand my browser just to see it!

#10 Akcium

Akcium

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:12 PM

this site have no design ..... sorry

#11 crashgraduate47

crashgraduate47

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:54 AM

When i first saw this page i looked and saw the least bit of text until i moved my mouse around the screen and then the images changed to text images. There's an interesting article about these kind of links, he calls them mystery meat navigation.

Article:
http://www.webpagest...navigation.html

You'll find this site very helpful for first starting out, i know i did it had almost everything to keep you going in the right direction.

Second, when I navigated through i noticed that the website is meant for a larger moniter, not a 1024x768. What you might want to do to fix that is just center everything and make the images a little smaller. Now if someone is useing the larger moniter, they'll see all the images dead center just with alot of background. and the person with the shorter moniter will see less background, but get all the information without having to scroll left to right.

It needs some work but its not bad for a first time.

I wish you the best of luck with it.

-Tyler

#12 Urbanpk

Urbanpk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

One of the pages had a much larger resolution than the others. I think people prefer sites which dont require scrolling. Good job with the art work though!

#13 hooperman

hooperman

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

Hi DesignsbyD,

just from a usability point of view, it's a good idea to somehow label your links. That way users will know what to click on to get where they want to be.

The 'theme' on the photography page is completely different to the other pages - I think keeping the look and feel consistent is a good idea.

But saying all that, it's still pretty good for a first site!

#14 colordesign

colordesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:38 AM

Not bad for a beginner.
I can see there is place for you to grow.I wouldn't say that is pro work yet.A steep road you have to follow but if you want to learn you will get better with every try.

#15 DesignsbyD

DesignsbyD

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:08 AM

Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I made another whole new mock up, with more obvious icons, and hopefully a cleaner more artistic looking site. Again, I have only done a bit of it, but, because of your suggestions, i think it looks a lot better. I'd love some more feedback though,
Thanks, DesignsbyD.

ChapmanMultimedia.com

#16 cibgraphics

cibgraphics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:14 AM

everything is still way too big. its pretty bad, when I have a widescreen computer on hi-res and everything is still way to big. What resolution are your designing it at?
Quality Graphic Design
Cibgraphics.com

#17 DesignsbyD

DesignsbyD

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:48 AM

Around 800X600, i tested it out on all of the computers in my house. I know the background repeats, but the main page should not be too large. I will try to fix it tonight though. Thanks,
DbD

#18 cibgraphics

cibgraphics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:48 PM

For reference, here is a screenshot of my computer, so you can see what I am seeing.

http://img56.imagesh...picture18ad.png

and this page

http://img73.imagesh...picture16rg.png

see the difference?

This is a 17in widescreen monitor to let you know size.
Quality Graphic Design
Cibgraphics.com

#19 DesignsbyD

DesignsbyD

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:47 PM

Ok, so I tried to make it smaller, hopefully this works. Again, I checked it on all computers, so this should be good. Also, let me know what you think of the white background, should I keep it, or change the color? Thanks, especially cibgraphics, for all of your input!
DbD

#20 jonboy

jonboy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:26 PM

you have some nice photography there.

suggestions:
why do you need to say "website created by" and "copyright". I think you should have one or the other, and if it were me, I would choose copyright. But tone it down a bit, make the font way smaller... and maybe a grey less intrusive colour.

definately need to tone everything down, particularly once you click through the pages. just gets too full on. perhaps sticking to one width for the whole site?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users