&nsbp;

#1 MissUnderstood

MissUnderstood

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:09 AM

Hello!

i'm new to this forum, and thought it might be a good idea to pop in here first and introduce myself....

I am interested in design; all different types, and try to learn new things about it all the time.

My good friend google helped me find this site. I was hoping to participate in some of the contests. I don't have a portfolio, but i was wondering: if there was any other way I could register?

If you have any questions, just let me know. Thanks!

• Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:29 AM

well, you can still take part in the community contests and if you show some good skills it will help you to get into the team. Besides you can use your works there to showcase what you can do and maybe even form a portfolio. Good luck! There are people who originally came to DC without any skills and in the process of contests developed themselves into very talanted designers.

As for the introduction, where are you from? What do you do in life?

#3 apresico

apresico

Guru

• Designer
  • 1210 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:06 PM

Hello! Nice to meet you as well and I am happy you found design contest. These are the exact requirements for getting on the design team:
1: You must have your own online version of a portfolio
2: You should be a registered member of the Contest Forums
3: You must be an active member of the DesignContest.net community for one week and have at least 10 forum posts
4: You must be able to receive Paypal payments

These can be achieved through entering our community contests, except of course for paypal which is something you need to have for getting funds when you start winning contest. As well, I know that there are some designers who are not web designers, so I will be making a how to make your portfolio using HTML tutorial very shortly for beginners and as well as have a couple of tutorials for advanced users too. As well, while you are entering community contests, it is a very good idea to look over our rules and guidelines so you can get comfortable with them. They are very important as we need to maintain a certain amount of professionalism here at DC.net. Please feel free to take a look around and if you need anything or have any questions, you are welcomed to PM me or anyother mods and we will be glad to answer. The problems and suggestions forum is also always opened to ask questions and someone will definitely answer. I am on everyday and so are pretty much all of the mods and admins. It is definitely good to start practicing and you found the perfect place to start off as a designer. If you feel that you have what it takes and you already have an online portfolio made, you can always send your application in for the design team. If not, take some time to get acquainted with things, and definitely look over our tutorials when they are up. You can also post anywhere else in the forums right now, except for the forums that paid contests are posted in and of course anything marked mod only, design team only, committee only, etc. I hope this has been a help to getting started along with resurepus' answer, and I hope to see your work posted when you start making things!

#4 MissUnderstood

MissUnderstood

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:00 AM

Hi,

Thank you so much for the replies.

I am currently living in Alaska. I am studying design part time. The other part of my time is spent pursueing other activities, (which mostly include working deadend jobs) Design has always inerested me though, and I'm pretty sure it's a direction i'd like my life to go in.

Of course I was hoping to just 'join the group' and jump in on the contests, but the rules here make sense. (I can imagine you meet people like that all the time!)

Anyways, I will deffinately be working on putting together a portfolio, and i will get a paypal account as well. I'll probably take place in a few of the community contests too.

I hope to be seeing alot more of you guys, and thanks again for taking the time to welcome me!

#5 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

Alaska?! It must be fridged up there now! It's a really nice place though as far as scenery, I hopefully am going to visit there next year and am quite exicted about it.... But how do you like it?
www.uniment1.com :: Design Services

#6 MissUnderstood

MissUnderstood

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

Alaska is.....well....a very big state! And pretty diverse. Depends which part you're taking about. Southeast, where i'm at, is pretty moderate actually. Not too cold, about mid to upper 20s today. The climate here is pretty much like Seattle. I'm pretty lucky to live where i do. It's nice here, anywhere else in Alaska, and it's brutal!

Which part of Alaska are you going to?

#7 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:43 AM

I am actually going to spend 4 weeks there and evry part that has roads ....well I am going there... or at least try ..... Me and my Father are also considering the march across the pole ...(a walk from Alaska to Russia across the North Pole......Brrrrr...1 week long) I think it will be cool ...I am into Photography so I hope to bring back a few good pictures as well....

#8 xidesign

xidesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

Hii welcome, another designer :)

Im bit new 2, still not in design team because i dont have 10 posts hihih :p

#9 MissUnderstood

MissUnderstood

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:09 AM

Hi Uniment, four weeks driving on the roads in Alaska....that will be quite an experience! My family drove up the Yukon a few years ago. Lots of muskeg and not alot of scenery on the route that we took, but alaska has lots of different roads, and some are definately much better then others! Four weeks is enough to go alot of places. Deffinately bring your camera! Where are you from anyways?

Xidesign, thanks for the welcome. I saw your thread you started, and checked out a few of the links. Nice use of pictures in the webdesigns.

I can't join the design team yet either....still working on getting together a portfolio, and yes...i still need more posts too!

#10 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:49 AM

I am from just outside of Philadelphia in the South Eastern corner of Pennsylvania....USA of course :D

#11 Max

Max

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:58 AM

Welcome, MissUnderstood! When I hear world Alaska I think about beautifull nature and the rivers full of salmon. It's because I like sushi! Would be nice to see some pictures of your city.

#12 MissUnderstood

MissUnderstood

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:19 PM

Pennsylvania....a ways from Alaska, I've never been anywhere that far east

I'll try to get some pictures up, tomorrow or the next day maybe. I'm not a photographer, but I'll look around and see if I have any decent shots. You're right though, Alaska is such a beautiful place, even 'bad' pictures look nice!

#13 MissUnderstood

MissUnderstood

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:47 PM

Ok, pics are up! In the 'what does your city look like' thread. I loved looking through the pictures you guys have up, it's neat to see where everone's from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users