• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

I was working in my parents hardware store the other day. And I was talking to a customer and some how we started talking about design and then about logo design. The customer said that they were needing one and then I of course said "oh I can do logo designs". Then the proceeded to say that one question that is kinda hard to answer for me that is............."How Much Do You Charge".

Well Since I never did a logo for a customer that was not online thru here at DC or any other design site. I didn't know what to say. So I thought I would ask here on the forums to see what you guys here would have to say and maybe give me and everyone else some insight on how you all price your logo design work.

Thanks In Advance,
Squewheet

#2 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36647 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Well, I guess you should take a tips only from US designers.
You could say to the client an average price (DC prices for example) of logo designing you do.

#3 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

hmmmmm, i was working with some american clients, they asked me how much i'd charge. for some banners designs. i first didn't know what to say. but we agreed to work on hourly bases. so for example if we agreed on 20 USD per hour & it tooks me 2 hrs to finish it, i'd charge 40 $ per banner.

you should put a rate for your hourly work i think.. and also make it fair depending on your level of experience/field of design & according to your location.. as it really affects rates.. from country to another.

do some research about fair hourly rate in ur country, estimate how many hours you'd need to finish the job & let your client know about it. if you agreed on that start working.

Also, note from me: don't compare logo prices here in contest sites to your work out side.. If the client had 200-300-400+ dollars to spend on their logo, they'd make a contest and receive hundreds of designs instead of one.. "i was told that by a friend who was in such situation before ..when he told client to pay him 250$ per logo."

and finally, Consider your clients business. i do not put very high rates to small/starting businesses, also local projects.. as in my country design work can be not as appreciated as other places.. so my rate will be Very high to them.

edit:
-check local designers personal portfolios also and see how much they sell their logo work.
- if you have a friend working on regular job as a graphic designer.. you can get a good idea about hourly rate if you know how much they are paid monthly.

Edited by like an angel, 08 January 2013 - 12:15 PM.

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#4 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36647 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Selma, It is a good point you brought out - hourly rate.

I have/had a problem with that. How we are supposed to know how many hours are going to be spent on the design (and estimated time delivery)? 'Cause, client might not be satisfied after 10th attempt or could be after a single, final design. Also, how do you calculate spent hours? How do you justify your spent hours?

I would always go for set price of design and work it until it is finished.

#5 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36647 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

And you are right about

Also, note from me: don't compare logo prices here in contest sites to your work out side.. If the client had 200-300-400+ dollars to spend on their logo, they'd make a contest and receive hundreds of designs instead of one.. "i was told that by a friend who was in such situation before ..when he told client to pay him 250$ per logo."

It makes sense, but still do not go a way down with the price.

Well, you could always say to the client the average price on the sites and price in the agencies (so he could get a picture), and then meet him with reasonable price there.

#6 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Sandra, in my case i was working with a fellow designer & we tried to find the average rate for working on 1 banner for a designer with some level of experience.. 1 hour was too little & 3 was too much.. if it takes me three then i'm not what they needed.
and also that's only what they we able to afford.. so it was up to me to agree on that.
so you should consider your client's statues & see if it works for you.

For your question, as i mentioned, it depends on your location/local rate. and also if you know some one works on the field try to divide their salary on working days /then divide them per say 8 hrs aday or whatever hrs/day they work for.

i did some research on that & asked some friends & came here also to ask fellow designers about it.

i can't say how long YOU would take.. but you can.
you can set a number of proposals for examples 3-4 deferent concepts. (like ideas you discuss with client) not finished work you spent hours and hours on.But like sketches on paper may be.. or some font choices/colors...etc.

and once the client likes any of them you can start the real work on. And you also agree to do modifications if needed (but up to certain limit)..like for certain times & not to change the design from the core.. anything besides that should cost more.

and of course you shouldn't go way down with the prices.. but to put a fair average rate between this and that.

Edited by like an angel, 08 January 2013 - 01:25 PM.

♥ Selma ♥

#7 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36647 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Oh, so you are starting counting time (hourly rate) after the idea approval, right?

#8 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Right Sandra, But that's how i do it, others might do this other ways.

♥ Selma ♥

#9 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for the great info you guys..........I recently had some people looking for some logos. And I think I got a nice base of prices to work off from.

#10 JonG303

JonG303

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

I charge a flat fee, allow up to two revisions, then I charge by the hour.

#11 manila

manila

• Designer
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I charge around $10-$20 per hour, depending on the type of work. For my loyal clients I charged them a flat fee and sometimes I give them some incentives like a flat fee of $50 - Buy 5 Take 1. (buy 5 design job they will get 1 design job free!)

#12 lkpryand0000m

lkpryand0000m

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

No matter how much you charge, never try to provide FREE work. My tutor said.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graphic communication, logo design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users