• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#1 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 09:47 PM

Have all you been over to the guarranteed section (http://www.designcon...d=6186#post6186 ). Soon only certain designers will be allowed to submit entries for guarranteed contests.

Sound like DesignOupost.com to you? When I found Designcontest.net I thought it was an open, freestyle forum, but looks like it's going to follow the tried and true marketing system of other sites.

I liked competing with and helping new graphic artists, but it seems like that is going to be limited in the future.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#2 karl472001

karl472001

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 352 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:04 PM

It does seem like designoutpost.com. But, I believe they will still have the other contest sections for people who do not want a guaranteed contest.

#3 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:16 PM

That's what I thought originally. But follow this thread. http://www.designcon...s=&threadid=432 They ran this guy off. He openly said he didn't want to guarrantee this contest, but would consider it in the future.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#4 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:09 PM

We respond to what designers and clients want.

Designers want guaranteed contests for decent $$$

Clients want quality designs to choose from. They also have complained about some designs, and point to those as a major reason for not offering more money, depositing prize funds or not starting a contest in the first place.

Low Quality Designs = Less Clients
Not all/many potential clients will go through hundreds of posts. They will scan a few pages and make a decision. I don't want them to base their decision off bad designs. And usually bad designs stick out more then good designs (in the clients mind)

Here is the proof: Logo Contests started out with about $100 prizes... now recently there were $50-$75 and even two $20 ones.

#5 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:20 PM

I don't think anything you stated proves a point Onvx, go to "rentacoder" or any of the other sites and the original bid/quote starts low. But the quality of the design can bring the price up. I've seen that happen in a couple of contests here, when the contest holder was impressed with the entries. That's before your criteria...whatever that maybe was instituted.

And when a contest holder states a price and starts a contest, why give him flack and try to find something to disenchant entering designers.

You want to be part of DesignOutpost, go there. It's hard to break into, but I thought this site was open to new talent. Guess not.

#6 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:39 PM

I mean this in the kindest of ways.. but if you don't like it then why not just leave?

Your work, in my opinion, is good enough to become one of the designers who gets to participate in the guaranteed contests. I think what they are trying to do is weed out the VERY bad designers, the ones who you can tell have no idea whatsoever what they are doing (and when I say that I mean they have no idea what a vector image is) and that use only tacky photoshop filters on everything.

And just so nobody feels offended by my comment, I am not pointing fingers at anyone or even saying anyone in these forums are like that, but I do know those people are out there, and could very well scare away a client if they happened to post a design.

#7 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:42 PM

Because Penguinpedia, I think everyone deserves a chance to put it out there if they want to.

If this site is only for people like Basicconcept, Creativemeasures, Lucidic, DDD and Onvyx. They should have made that clear from the beginning.

Beginning designers have to start somewhere. And sometimes their ideas are fresh.

#8 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:49 PM

I just told you the reasons for us wanting pre-approved designers. If they don't add up for you, I can't help you.

During what "couple of contests" were prices raised due to high quality? I only pretty much follow the logo contests so maybe I missed something... but only the furniture logo raised their price after me and res asked them to. Motorcycle logo raised it by $10 because I think he realized his logo would take more time/talent from designers.

This site is open to new talent, it's not like we don't want talented designers to be a part of this. All you have to do is submit a portfolio with 10 designs; I don't think that's too much to ask for from a talented designer.

I am getting pretty tired of your negative propaganda. As I asked you before. and I am asking again.... suggest good ideas instead of complaining all the time.

All the changes that we are doing were suggested to us.

#9 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:51 PM

People that were posting contests here in the past knew there was a wide variety of skillsets.

And they weeded through or ignored the worst. That's what made this site unique in the beginning.

#10 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:52 PM

Begining designers can start at the non-profit contests. Then re-submit their portfolio.

Res also plans to offer many tutorials to help designers out.

#11 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:56 PM

Doesn't mean that the worst designer didn't give inspiration to a pro.

Would be hard to prove but it does happen.

#12 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 12:05 AM

I was going to reply... but then forgot what you (phacker) were complaining about... well I am off to start celebrating the new year... and happy new years to everyone...

and I leave you with this: (maybe if you read it often enough you will do it)

suggest good ideas instead of complaining all the time

#13 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 12:10 AM

I think what I have brought up is relevant. Happy New Year Onvx. Some of us are tied to our computers trying to make a living. Maybe you got an Xbox for Xmas.

#14 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 12:15 AM

Sometimes comments meant to be positive reinforcement for some are deleted by those that don't agree. It's a matter of relative viewpoint onvx.

#15 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 12:20 AM

Onvx you outlined a couple of times when prices were raised you made my point. The "imported furniture" logo, and the "motorcycle" logo.

And that's before designers were screened for whatever capabilites you plan on screening them. Maybe you should give us a check list of things we should include. Or maybe it's who we know. Maybe you should provide an outline for new designers.

#16 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 06:32 PM

You said the prize was raised because "the contest holder was impressed with the entries" that did not happen in those 2 cases. They were raised for different reasons. So why would you spin the truth?

Well since no one else crares enough to voice their opinion I am not going to go back and forth with you about this.

#17 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:26 AM

I think those submitting portfolios should be aware that logos submitted will be open to critique, and if you can't show anything but what you have entered here you may be excluded.

#18 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:32 AM

LMAO, thank you for your public service announcment.

#19 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:58 AM

I don't mind clients offerring critiques of my work, but I do take offense to some snot nose kid telling me my work needs to improve. Get over it Onvyx.

#20 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 02:04 AM

Originally posted by phacker
I don't mind clients offerring critiques of my work, but I do take offense to some snot nose kid telling me my work needs to improve. Get over it Onvyx.

Does that mean you didnt get accepted?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users