• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 rucker

rucker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:27 PM

I was just wondering...how many of you have the privilege of being a designer only (either freelance or for a firm/company). Most of us either work multiple part-time jobs or are jobseekers...what are you doing?

#2 mx753

mx753

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:05 PM

I did a lot of free lance work during college but I was fortunate to land a full time graphic design/marketing job for a big performance clutch manufacturing company. It is a lot of fun but after two years of designing for the same company it gets hard to keep the creative juices flowing. I am hoping I can become a design team member on here soon to allow for some fresh new creative outlets! HMM, just a few more posts. lol ;)

#3 jhewit22

jhewit22

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:38 PM

i'm going to be graduating college really soon, and i just do a bunch of freelance work now, i just recently found this site, and it seems to be really cool (once you're allowed to submit things for "designer only" stuff, that is). hopefully i'll get that status soon so i can start working on some more freelance stuff. i'm working an internship right now with a local magazine. i'd love to find an internship on the printer side of things, just to build a nice relationship with someone in that world so it doesnt come back to bite me in the ass by not really knowing a good one once i get out of school. where are you guys from? and/or what state are you designing in?
www.creativehotlist.com/jhewitt

#4 mx753

mx753

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:05 PM

From California. Designing in Montana.

#5 sipher69

sipher69

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:25 PM

If i didnt manage the database of the Social Care Office i could say im a designer only. I like to work in Corel and AdobePhotoShop, and i think, if you have patience with, Corel is the best option for a designer .
Design to life!

• Guests

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:55 PM

If i didnt manage the database of the Social Care Office i could say im a designer only. I like to work in Corel and AdobePhotoShop, and i think, if you have patience with, Corel is the best option for a designer .

Corel Draw or Corel Painter? ;)

#7 sipher69

sipher69

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:15 PM

Corel Draw Graph Suite. What do you use Resurepus?
Design to life!

#8 JFS Design

JFS Design

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:31 AM

I'm a full time designer. I'm the staff designer at a loco sign franchise. The best thing is that your working on something different each day so you don't get bored. Logs design, vehicle graphics, trade show graphics, banners, various signs... It's always something different. I'd suggest a sign shop to anyone looking to land a first design job.

#9 turner050

turner050

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:43 AM

I have the luxury of full-time freelancing. I took me a while to get enough contacts for business to flow smoothly but I've reached it. I'm lovin life.

#10 Paasch

Paasch

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

I'm happy to relpy I am a full time Graphic Designer for a major hunting/fishing company. And I doo alot of free/cheap freelancing on the side. And I'm awlays looking for work to do!

#11 cdngrl333

cdngrl333

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

I've been a full-time graphic designer for two different firms now..first in Canada, and then in the Caribbean. I'm now looking at trying to go full-time with freelancing, but I may need to get back out in the industry again (full-time) to subsidize my income until I can really get things rolling.

#12 joseph

joseph

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:01 PM

for the moment, i am... have dabbled full time in numerous other things at various points of time, though: band manager, concert lighting guy, gig organizer, webmaster, wedding decorator...

#13 bryantali

bryantali

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:19 AM

Let's see...worked at Kinko's in Santa Maria, greeting card company in Santa Barbara, multi-media lab for goverment contractor in California, sign department at commercial real estate company in Seattle, and now doing some freelance logos for a web design company in Bellevue from my home in Albuquerque, New Mexico. (I go where my husband goes - he's in the Air Force & we move every 3 years!)

#14 Radaman

Radaman

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

Most of my time i ma doing design, workin for a compalny that is makeing me sick.. so trying now 2 get a more freeelane jobs.. hope 2 get soon the membership) - "how many of you have the privilege of being a designer only" - im not only a designer, also I am a musician and Icould never chose between design and music, thats all art and I am mad about it, and alittle skateboarding =) ..
I try to express myself in inapropriate manner and my signature was changed by the administrator :(

#15 kvasaclimited

kvasaclimited

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

Sadly, in my country, designers tend to be seriously underrated and exploited. At the moment it doesn't pay up to be a full time designer.
Hence, I am freelancing..
Dragan Ciric
AetherScapes

#16 WebDesignGold

WebDesignGold

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:52 PM

Unfortunatly, I'm unemployed at the moment. Although I'm able to do a much better job (IMHO) then many of those that got a job or are self employed in the field of web design, it's really hard for me to get a job or customers.. simply because I'm an immigrant. And as such I'm only supposed to do cleaning work (belive me, even such work is hard to obtain nowadays) or if you're lucky enough, sell pizza and kebab. This is the tough reality in this country. The worse thing is that many will oppress you even more when you complain like this.. they just hate to hear you complain over the situation claiming you're being discriminated because you're an immigrant.. but had they been in my shoes, they would feel the same as I do.

#17 raghav

raghav

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

I am working in india as a designer ( DTP )

#18 darb

darb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

Hey all, Well I just joined and going over some things here. So Im technically a draftsmen, but I do design oilfield buildings and equipment. So I havent really used to much in the way of corel or any "good" design programs. Although I do work with AutoCad and spend all my downtime working on some wicked renderings and really wanna move more into the Advertising side of designing. Gets really repeditive drawing the same stuff every few weeks.

#19 Aalexandra

Aalexandra

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

uhmm well I am currently studying architecture.. so I do some freelance work now and then, I really like designing.. but I prefer architecture design ;)..
In the future if I don't find a job as an architect :p then I'd be happy to work as a designer.. :)

#20 Morriconei

Morriconei

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:31 PM

I work freelance for a television station, it's decent money but I would like to just be on my own. Just got to keep working I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users