• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 dzares

dzares

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:58 AM

just wondering what does everyone use for designing a desktop or laptop?
feel free to give spec about your computer or laptop.

i need a new computer and was thinking about getting a laptop... but have a limited budget and was just just wondering the pros & cons everyone experience.

theSTRUGGLEScontinue...

#2 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:13 PM

I prefer working from a PC personally, because I like to just sit down and work. I have a Laptop that I use when I am away but not much when I am home. Chances are when you get a Laptop you will probably end up using it like a desktop, and just think trying to use your laptop with a tablet away from your desk ... lol but If you think you wil be traveling a lot and need a computer at all times , get a Laptop if not I would stick with a Desktop.

As far as specs go get something with at least these specs (if it fits your budget ;) )

2.5 GHz CPU
1 GB of RAM
80 GB Hard drive (more if possible)
19" screen
CD burner (DVD burner if possible)
128 mb Graphics card (speeds up program refreshing)

Thats what I would look for, I think I got everything in there.
Anyway Hope it helps!
Nate
www.uniment1.com :: Design Services

#3 dzares

dzares

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

Yeah and i was thinking that a desktop pc would be easier to upgrade. and far as spec i was thinking:

CPU: AMD (Athlon 64 3500+)?
512mb memory
120gb hd
combo drive (cd burner/dvd rom)
video card 256mb (NVIDIA Geforce)?
17in lcd
WinXP (home edition)

budget: $300-650 i might go with a custom pc... because i already have some of the parts.

** is it smarter to get more memory or a better video card for performance? **

theSTRUGGLEScontinue...

#4 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:23 AM

The Athlon 64 3500 is a fast enough processor (a little faster than a Pentium 4) so that is good, you should consider getting a Gig of RAM (two 512mb sticks) because that processor will be able to utilize it.

You probably don't need a Graphics Card that fast (but it does'nt hurt! :D )

So if it meets your budget drop the Graphics Card to 128mb and up the Ram. Then once you have the system start saving for a bigger screen (you will want it.... BAD :) )

But overall it looks good!
www.uniment1.com :: Design Services

#5 Ruffio

Ruffio

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:02 PM

I use laptop when I am on the road or on bed and desktop sometimes.

@Dzares,
If you only going to use the PC for designing, then the specs of your last post is more then enough.

Not important: When the new Windows Vista is coming out and you want to install it, you will need at least 1024 mb memory :D

#6 sipher69

sipher69

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

Computer is better in every way for a designer. I use the laptop only for presentations / slide shows.
Design to life!

#7 Alexandru

Alexandru

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:10 PM

If you don't travell a desktop is your best solution . Laptops are expensive and have lower power

#8 lilypad

lilypad

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:36 AM

Desktop... I would think that your workspace would suffer greatly on a laptop. Plus I really find laptop keyboards annoying.

My rig:

MAC - G5 1.8 DP
1.5 GB ram
160 GB HD
2 monitors
- 22 inch Lacie monitor for workspace
- 15 inch Sony monitor for application pallets
9x12 Wacom Tablet

- jon

#9 JFS Design

JFS Design

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:12 AM

I use a desktop both at home and work. I've just found it to be MUCH easier to use than a laptop for design purposes.

#10 colekins

colekins

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:09 PM

dell dimension desktop :)

#11 Winter artwork

Winter artwork

• Designer
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:03 PM

i need a new computer and was thinking about getting a laptop... but have a limited budget and was just just wondering the pros & cons everyone experience.

I'm in the same predicament! I was going to start a thread but I found this in search :D

my desktop is dying a slow and painful death and I'm thinking more and more about getting a laptop...It'd save me some space in my room which is quite small :(

#12 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

Laptop and Tablet PC laptop.

Might be buying one of those mini laptop and see how they work. They are handy to carry arround. Plus as freelance designer you get allot of urgency or last minute jobs. So carrying a laptop plus phone is handy so you can work everywhere.

However depending of certain jobs I would advice a fast computer. Cause laptops are getting faster , but a steady computer still got a upperhand.

At the moment I am also looking at 2nd hand Apple G5. And why a second hand because they actually are cheap while they are really still very good and fast. At the moment allot of people are buying the newest version and getting rid of the old one selling them at very low prices around 500 euro. Which is not much compare to a brand new G5.

#13 Winter artwork

Winter artwork

• Designer
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

I was thinking about an Alienware laptop...I'll have to ask my boss about it since he recently bought one

#14 JasonLarche_Com

JasonLarche_Com

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:49 PM

Finally satisfied with my setup:

- Started community college with a Hp notebook
- Continued education with Powerbook G4
- Graduated with the latest iMac
- Use a G5 with 24" Cinema at work

All still working.. All still in use

After all that I prefer working on my iMac - It's faster, bigger, more space, and it was cheaper then the laptop, so that would be my recommendation.

#15 adammonk

adammonk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:09 PM

Currently using a second hand G5, not the intel version. Very pleased with it so far, runs nice and quick between apps.

#16 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

Cause depening if you would working on a big wall banner of 3 meter by 2 meter for something even with 72dpi in photoshop it need a really fast computer to process it. Even on mac g5 it will take several minutes to save this file instead of few second.

Or if you never do posters or wall banners and only do small stuff like logo and web banner and no big thing that need to be printed. A laptop will do well. However would ramp the ram up to 2048 so you are sure it can handle multiple programs. Cause having all the programs you need already open will make the process of designing faster.

Still something on the whole other side. I would go for a Mac cause yeah just never happend that a Adobe program crash when I worked behind a Mac and often have crashed while working with Windows.
  • Winter artwork likes this

#17 purple

purple

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

My desktop is old and slower, but it has better picture than my laptop's screen which is, of course, a major advantage in color scheming. There's nothing worse than designing what you think is an amazing logo, only to find out that on every other screen you seen it on the colors are too vivid or dull. Bleh.
I usually go with the laptop for convenience though, I'm a full-time student and it helps to be able to get some designing done between classes.

#18 blakeissuarez

blakeissuarez

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

i us an old gateway for most of my design work, but since i've been home i've been using my sister's G5 Mac. I strongly suggest buying one of the new Mac desktops if you are going to be using it for design or creative work.

#19 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

My desktop is old and slower, but it has better picture than my laptop's screen which is, of course, a major advantage in color scheming. There's nothing worse than designing what you think is an amazing logo, only to find out that on every other screen you seen it on the colors are too vivid or dull. Bleh.
I usually go with the laptop for convenience though, I'm a full-time student and it helps to be able to get some designing done between classes.

Buy a pantone huey that will make any bad screen to have correct colors.

#20 magaly

magaly

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

I have a laptop now and though it is handy for when I leave the house, I usually don't leave home to work. PCs are inexpensive and you get twice what you would for a laptop (twice the memory, better vid card, twice the HD space, etc). Unless you travel a lot, which I am prone to, I'd invest in a nice PC.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users