Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

is it allowed to use photoshop in logo making?

clean inspiring web designs

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Keosh

Keosh

Banned

• Banned
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

I'm just a new on this community... and i find it great... but i just want to know if it is allowed if i make my logo into photoshop... i don'tknow how to use coreldraw, illustrator or other programs, but i really make logos in photoshop before...

#2 numbersix

numbersix

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

You can ask that to the Contest Holder. They usually prefer vector logos because it can be resized to a large scale size. photoshop layouts however become pixelated ones enlarged. but you can still ask the Contest Holder if they will accept a photoshop format logo. I strongly suggest that you learn hoe to use CorelDraw or Illustrator if you really want to join logo contests. hope that helped..=)

#3 numbersix

numbersix

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Learning COrelDraw (for me) is a lot easier than photoshop. You just have to try it and you'll get used to the program in no time. goodluck!

#4 maxx

maxx

• Designer
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

You could use Photoshop for logos that are supposed to be used on web only, but in most cases here CH ask for logos in vector form.

#5 maxx

maxx

• Designer
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

And I agree with numbersix, start to learn Corel or Illustrator, it's not that complicated ;)

#6 numbersix

numbersix

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

I usually go over photoshop only for mockups. because i use coreldraw and it's not giving me the exact color i want. =(

#7 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

All logos are required to be vector. You can create vector files in photoshop but it is complicated also large and complicated files for the contestholder

Like us on facebook

#8 Mabding

Mabding

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

You may ask the contest holder ..
But it's better to learn Illustrator ; it will give you more options and of course will give the contest holder more option if he wanted to edit anything ..

#9 sc06tty

sc06tty

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

i used to use photoshop all the time for creating logos then started using illustrator now i rarely use photoshop illustrator is much better to use i would say anyway

#10 Keosh

Keosh

Banned

• Banned
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

thanks for replies, i am now using Illustrator, I just learned it last night. as i know photoshop in advance. thanks for the suggestions.

#11 benwick

benwick

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

thanks for this! gotta learn illustrator pretty sharpish!

#12 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

You may not ask the contestholder if they want vector files....ALL logos are REQUIRED TO BE CREATED as vector files, it doesn't matter if the ch says this is only for web. The rule still applies, all logos are required to be created as vector files, you can then format as the ch needs but all source files are required to include the vector eps or AI file

Like us on facebook

#13 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

You should ALWAYS provide client with a vector (eps or ai) format of their logo. What if for example, their logo needs to be printed on a billboard? You can imagine how large that logo will need to be. EPS files are scalable (and editable), so you could use the same logo for a business card to a billboard without losing any quality or resolution - it will always look crisp and clean.

#14 matthewdownton

matthewdownton

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

#15 biili

biili

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

Well i use photoshop for logos to but i make them on high resolution but if the client request an AI or EPS files you will need to work with Illustrator or Corel draw . Illustrator its not that hard imagine is like photoshop , before you star working with iluustrator , play around and see where the tools are so it will be much easy for you to work , then search for some tutorials and it will be all good. :D

#16 PAVIAN

PAVIAN

• Designer
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hello I know this thread might be too old but Im gonna share something because all of my logo's we're originally made in photoshop and just create an AI or EPS format with the PSD File.

Alright Lets Get it Started:
* Make sure when making Logo's using a pen tool. Apply any color or gradients.
* When done creating the Logo. Make a Copy of it in PSD Format.
* In the copied File of the Logo clear all gradients since you need to redo it in AI. (But its gonna be pretty simple you just have to apply all
the colors you used in photostop check in RGB or CMYK colors and the points placed. You can exactly apply them im AI)
* After clearing all the effects on the vector files you can open the PSD format in AI and you will see all the shapes you created.
* Apply the colors you used in photoshop.
* Save it as an AI File or EPS.

~ I know for starters it seems to be so hard or a lot to do but if you get used to it, it wont take you 5 mins to create your AI or EPS File out of the PSD File of your logo.

Hope it Helps :)
Cheers

#17 DenzelH

DenzelH

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:07 AM

It's not a vector based program, therefore, what you create cannot be scaled infinitely without loss of information (or without it becoming blurry & pixelated). Illustrator recommended

#18 Keysoft

Keysoft

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

I recommend to use software Illustrator or Coreldraw as logos should be in vector format. Even things which are going to print that should be design in Vector Software and for web like website design you can use Adobe Photoshop.

#19 castertatta

castertatta

Banned

• Banned
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

All logos must be created in vector format, I recommend you to use Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw.

#20 ammer

ammer

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

You can find a tutorial corel draw or adobe illustrator on youtube

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clean inspiring, web designs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users