Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Designs with no Feedback - Critique Please :)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#1 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

Attached File  logos-no-feedback.jpg   52.22KB   97 downloads

I've attached some designs which were either eliminated or did not receive feedback (not all from DC). I have a good idea why the contest holders may not of thought them right but I would love to get critique from DC designers.

Please be completely honest and don't hold back. I love to learn!

Thanks,
Gary

#2 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

The upload quality is rubbish so I've put them here:

https://dl.dropboxus...no-feedback.png

#3 prabhuganga

prabhuganga

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Your work perfection is really good but most contest holders doesnot think too much about how well finished a design is,rather they just see how appealing they are...
maybe contest holders want basic shapes integrated into their logos...
and sometimes CHs doesnot get the conveyed message rightly...
btw my designs are not even near to what I told you about visual appeal and perfection...

#4 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

Thank you very much for your Feedback Prabhuganga, it is much appreciated and very helpful.

I know what you mean about basic shapes. Unless I think I have a great idea I avoid contests with very simple briefs because it is easier for me to stand out in contests where the CH wants something more complex. Perhaps this is a weakness of mine. I know for sure that for 2 of the contests my designs were too complex. I do get carried away sometimes!

You have a point about the perfection aspect, often the most appealing designs are not the most perfect.

BTW, I think your designs are good and I'm sure it won't be long until you win your first gold.

Best Wishes,
Gary

Edited by GJR, 15 September 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#5 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

I love your PSCA - I would rate it with 100 points :)
*FIGHT LIFE - 10 points - too much going on, i dont like the face (it is scary) :) and to much gradients (it would be better with solid colors)
*firefly - 80 points - i love icon but font is too much SF - other font and it would be better :)
*pointe - 60 points - too much shadow on female figurine - it would be almost invisible in small size i think :) and i dont like the font :)
*centaur - 70 points - i dont like colors and slogan is not centered with name :) (first s is out of the line) :)
* programmer - 40 points - i dont like font maybe it would be better with some text effects, guy is good but shirt is to plain if you compare with face :)
*caveman -85 points - guy is good but something is just wrong with circle and square :)

#6 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

Thank you very much Operhal :)

I wish you were a ch - 1 win in 7 submissions would be good. I wish I always had that win rate!

Can't believe I missed that misalignment on the Centaur one!

I do struggle with font's, I'm trying to improve by studying typography, modifying fonts and gathering a wider collection of good quality ones but it really doesn't come naturally to me :(

The circle and square caveman logo was a bit rushed to be honest. I didn't have much time left to submit and the prize wasn't very big for the amount of work. I Probably should have tried harder on that because it does let the character down.

The fight life face was supposed to be scary but I get what you mean, I have actually already removed some of the gradients - you still wouldn't like it though!

Thanks again Operhal, it's really valuable feedback for me :)

#7 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

Btw - I really like your submission #5 for Rock gimbal. I thought mine looked OK until I saw that!

#8 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

You are welcome! :) I hope I wasn't so harsh on you :) I do struggle with a fonts sometimes too..and I am trying to avoid common fonts (like trajan for lawyers company :D ) and I am always in search for new ones. I am not sure how many fonts I have on my comp but it takes time to found right one :) anyway, keep doing a good job! ;)

#9 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

No, you wasn't too harsh. I welcome honest feedback, I'm pretty new to this so it really helps.

I confess - I like trajan!

#10 prabhuganga

prabhuganga

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

Thank you very much for your Feedback Prabhuganga, it is much appreciated and very helpful.

I know what you mean about basic shapes. Unless I think I have a great idea I avoid contests with very simple briefs because it is easier for me to stand out in contests where the CH wants something more complex. Perhaps this is a weakness of mine. I know for sure that for 2 of the contests my designs were too complex. I do get carried away sometimes!

You have a point about the perfection aspect, often the most appealing designs are not the most perfect.

BTW, I think your designs are good and I'm sure it won't be long until you win your first gold.

Best Wishes,
Gary

Thanks Gary,
Im glad that you took my point in the right way...
and thanks for the compliment too...
:)

#11 zac315

zac315

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

Centaur looks niice. They all look good really im guessing you just need to understand what the CHs is looking for

#12 take11

take11

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

Your designs are beast and you are an epic designer.
Well done

#13 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

Well Gary, your wrote this in September... how many golds have you got now!! lol Have a super sunday... and Operhal... where are you... missing in action... we miss you!

#14 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

Well Gary, your wrote this in September... how many golds have you got now!! lol Have a super sunday... and Operhal... where are you... missing in action... we miss you!

lol - I still get plenty of not rated designs though.

I would like to give big thanks again to Operhal and Prabhuganga! Both helped me to realise ways in which I was going wrong. This is why I always try to give critique when others ask for it. It can be extremely valuable. I am always surprised this forum is not heaving with requests for critique.

#15 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

Hello my dear fellow designers :) I am here, from time to time..i am working on one big projects outside DC (6 logos and wallpapers for restaurants) so i am pretty busy :( and in the meantime i am changing kitchen in my apartment...so you can imagine the stress :)

but i am happy that you miss me ;)

#16 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Hooray she's alive!! and even better... she is working and having a new kitchen... woohoo! : )

#17 Jaraigo

Jaraigo

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Hi, your work is pretty good, I like it a lot, the only one that didnt looks that great is the fight life one because when you design a logo you also have to think about the applications of the same, image how difficult would be to engrave the logo with laser or sewing the logo in a cap or any other aplocations, is important to think this trough :)

#18 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hi, your work is pretty good, I like it a lot, the only one that didnt looks that great is the fight life one because when you design a logo you also have to think about the applications of the same, image how difficult would be to engrave the logo with laser or sewing the logo in a cap or any other aplocations, is important to think this trough :)

Hi Jaraigo.

Thanks for your feedback. I posted this a while ago and like to think I've improved a lot since I made these logos. Looking back - The only one I would submit now (without significant modifications) is the PSCA logo.

You are completely right about the Fight Life design- If I were to make it again i would use no gradients whatsoever and I would simplify the image. I probably wouldn't go down this route at all though - given the same brief, I think I would design something entirely different.

BTW - I love your spaceman logo. Great job there - a well deserved win :)

#19 aandrei_24

aandrei_24

Guru

• Designer
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

Hello my dear fellow designers :) I am here, from time to time..i am working on one big projects outside DC (6 logos and wallpapers for restaurants) so i am pretty busy :( and in the meantime i am changing kitchen in my apartment...so you can imagine the stress :)

but i am happy that you miss me ;)

We miss you allright, but i am glad you got work to do. And i am not talking about the kitchen.
BTW, I am terrified by the thought of changing my bathroom. My lady constantly bugs me, i promised her to do it in the spring. Will take a good friend, wrenches and large hammers, some beer and it might work....

#20 gina999

gina999

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:07 AM

nice work. In which software you created these logos? Illustrator?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users