#1 mahdiduri37

mahdiduri37

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:56 PM

Hi DC.

I just curious about the abandoned contest prize split policy. the question is:

1. What if after the prize has been splitted, a week later CH returns to choose the winner? can that happen? If so, what does DC do? does the prize have to be returned by the designer?

2. What if the prize has been splitted, then suddenly, a month, a year, two years later, there is a CH using one of the entries in the contest that he abandoned (considering he/she already paid for the contest). What should we do? what will DC do?

3. What if CH has chosen the winner (Guaranted / non guaranted), but then changed his mind. Without permission, he uses one of the entries as his logo (with a few changes). What should we do?

Regards.
Love DC

#2 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

HI there

1. What if after the prize has been splitted, a week later CH returns to choose the winner? can that happen? If so, what does DC do? does the prize have to be returned by the designer?       If contest prize has been sent/split with designers/transaction made  then  it stays, client is then told the prize is gone and has been split with designers. The only option now would be to buy the entry you want from the designer in a  1on1

In the past  when we voted on winner in guaranteed winner   we had  a small handful of clients wanting the source files  for the voted on winner in the contest. Most designers happily would send those source files. I have only had  "1" designer that was  uncooperative with this.

2. What if the prize has been splitted, then suddenly, a month, a year, two years later, there is a CH using one of the entries in the contest that he abandoned (considering he/she already paid for the contest). What should we do? what will DC do?     There is nothing designcontest can do. This would be up to the designer to go after the ch for using a design not paid for.  Once we mark the contest abandoned the contest no longer show for the ch or designers 

3. What if CH has chosen the winner (Guaranted / non guaranted), but then changed his mind. Without permission, he uses one of the entries as his logo (with a few changes). What should we do?     There are specific requirements for a ch if they change their mind. If winning entry was marked by accident, within minutes they notify  us, We correct this, this has happened only a handful of times.  If designer fails to upload source files the ch then can choose to  pick new winner. If the designer can't make the requested edits, the ch can  choose new winner.  I'm not sure a ch has ever used a non winning design  if they have  we are not aware.  again if a ch uses a non winning desing then the designer should go after that client 

• Babba and weiesnbach like this

Like us on facebook

#3 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:53 AM

A few times, a contest holder has come back to me in a 1on1 and offered to buy a losing design, even though he never used it. I think he just wanted to take the concept off the market. The amount offered was a fraction of the winning award. Emotionally, it felt like an insult. If it was good enough to buy, it should be at a fair price. I believe I am not alone in this experience.

Discussions this week in the Forum have shown me that there are other options for recycling logos.

Chasing...

In the event that a CH is using unauthorized original art of your making, you need a lawyer in the family. Some designers have had success with standard "cease and desist" letters. In general, the legal fees are prohibitive. I uderstand that European law is better about intellectual property than American law. The Far East is in effect, lawless.

Note Sharie's last sentence. It is up to you to act on this, not DC. Justice in these matters often goes to those with the deepest pockets. You can bleed to death before reaching a verdict.

#4 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:06 AM

A few times, a contest holder has come back to me in a 1on1 and offered to buy a losing design, even though he never used it. I think he just wanted to take the concept off the market. The amount offered was a fraction of the winning award. Emotionally, it felt like an insult. If it was good enough to buy, it should be at a fair price. I believe I am not alone in this experience.

Discussions this week in the Forum have shown me that there are other options for recycling logos.

A little secret here... clients that do this are not really buying the design to use or take off market. They are trying to pay you a little something for all the work you did in a contest. I have clients tell me  and ask how they can give the non winning designer money,  I give them the options we have I also tell them (suggest)  that if they are not going to use the design to let the designer know so they may7 recycle it if they choose

Note Sharie's last sentence. It is up to you to act on this, not DC. Justice in these matters often goes to those with the deepest pockets. You can bleed to death before reaching a verdict.

The reason we can't do anything or much of anything is because we do not own the design.  even reporting to other contest sites they want the  owner of the design.  I went to report  many designs on a competing contest site ( no not the large one)  I couldn't send in report because it was not my design or DCs design.  I was so upset about this. I had to trace down the owners of the design to let them know  a fraudster had stolen their designs.  These were not DC designers that had designs stolen, it was designers from behance, deviant art and other gallery type arts  very frustrating situation.    So it isn't that DC doesn't want to help a designer... we do what we can to help  like with this last issue of  a fraudster taking many designs from our designers here. I was able report  that as was Babba.  and that designer is now gone for the time being from that site. Sad thing is they always have a way of resurrection 

• HerbertNordal, Babba and Kristina2912 like this

Like us on facebook

#5 mahdiduri37

mahdiduri37

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 12:50 PM

A few times, a contest holder has come back to me in a 1on1 and offered to buy a losing design, even though he never used it. I think he just wanted to take the concept off the market. The amount offered was a fraction of the winning award. Emotionally, it felt like an insult. If it was good enough to buy, it should be at a fair price. I believe I am not alone in this experience. Discussions this week in the Forum have shown me that there are other options for recycling logos.

Recently I have this experience. When He/she contact me 1 on 1, CH  want to buy my entry from his/her contest that already closed. In this case, I don't know whether CH unsatisfied with the winner entry or he/she want to give me something (as Sharie say), CH wont tell. In the ends I have to decline the project because the price offer below standart. 

#6 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:50 PM

I've sold my non winning entry for USD 99 once. The contest holder offered such amount. Sorry to say...that will be the last time I ever sold my logo that low because now I sell my non winning designs as ready-made logos. I can put whatever price I think reasonable :)

#7 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:39 PM

Once we mark the contest abandoned the contest no longer show for the ch or designers 

Do you mean the designs and abandoned contest are completely removed from DC server?

Can DC please leave the abandoned contest as it is (showed for the client and designer) because sometimes we need to recycle our logo, so we should have the logo upload date proof (when it was used for the first time)...just for standby, in case our design from that abandoned contest has been copied by someone and used somewhere else before we had a chance to recycle it.

BTW, I just submit a design in a contest (after long hibernation hehehe)...but I seems can't find where is my contest design entry upload date is stated (unless I made a comment to the design)...Am I missing something?

Feature Request: If it is not implemented, can we have each design upload date stated somewhere. Thanks

• Frankie-Soo likes this

#8 Frankie-Soo

Frankie-Soo

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:29 AM

Hi, morabira 

I agree with you, the date indication is a proof to trace which is the original design and which is the copy. I hate copy-cat :((
We all love DC, to me, DC is the best design contest website.

• morabira likes this

#9 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:17 AM

Some prefer their designs being deleted, some prefer to stay. 

Among "My designs" you would be able to find your design. It would be really helpful, if date/time would be visible to designer. So at least a screenshot can be done as a proof. 

• morabira and Frankie-Soo like this

#10 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:30 AM

Agree with Babba...at least designs should be left at "My Designs" page....and we can screenshot with date proof...
As long as we can have proof, I'm okay with that.

Hi SCH

#11 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 05:38 PM

Agree with Babba...at least designs should be left at "My Designs" page....and we can screenshot with date proof...
As long as we can have proof, I'm okay with that.

Hi SCH

Your designs from abandoned or refunded contests are already in My Designs, but at the moment there is no date on entry. 

• morabira likes this

#12 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 05:49 PM

i thought the designs are deleted. Sorry for my absence  :)

Yup..we need date there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Abandon contest, Split Prize

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users