• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 entz

entz

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:25 PM

Hi all graphic artists. While i am a fan of illustrator to create vector graphic, i've just discovered that Adobe InDesign can be as powerful as any other graphic software. I use it to create logos. And i can use muptiple pages to create my proposals in a single file.

Anyone out there uses InDesign as well? if yes, tell me some good and bad things that you've encountered :) so far, i haven't encounter any major problems in creating my artworks.

#2 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:45 PM

Hi...I recently switched from quark to indesign....I love it:)
I use it for menu design, brochures....anything that requires multiple pages, I use indesign for.
I use illustrator for my logo/illustration work...:)

#3 entz

entz

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

I see.. i use to use pagemaker.. a "dinosaur" software as well :p Indesign is good for publications, i mean very good. But have you ever tried to create logos/illustrations in indesign? I've tried it, and the tools are kind of similar as illustrator. Except for the effects part.

#4 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:01 PM

Tools are very pretty much the same both can output a eps file. Only very important tools are missing. Outline, livetrace, gradient net and some more. But what is handy in Indesign CS3 there is a color mixer. You can actually get 2 colors and mix them, even pantone colors. That function is missing in Illustrator cs3.

If you want to do a only 2 pantone color print, you can mix the two pantone colors to get more colors.

What is bad in Indesign when you save the logo into eps you can't open in it Indesign to edit it.

#5 TommyGun96

TommyGun96

• Designer
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:18 AM

Adobe InDesign is the successor of Adobe PageMaker (Previously Aldus PageMaker). It is proofed that it overrun the issues concerning Quark XPress. But you don't have to misunderstood two different things: 1) Fidelity & 2) Functionality.

I started designing brochures in an early pre-release version of InDesign 2, and I found it much more easier to use than Quark, because of the familiarity of the Adobe family. Later on used InDesign CS and CS2.
Then I began working in prepress production, and let me say... there's nothing copared to Quark for the stability and fidelity. For some reason all works I received that were designed in Quark where most errorless ... but on InDesign I found the worst made work ever!!
That's not that Quark is better, the reason is people who uses Quark has always used it and knew how to design safe for imagesetting, the wide range option InDesign introduced for the time what not completly compatible. Issues like Transparencies in print work always brings trouble ... things that Quark never had to fight with.

By the way, what concerns drawing ... in completely shitty in Both InDesign and Quark... and that's because they ARE NOT ILLUSTRATION APPLICATIONS! For some reason the removed some drawing capabilities that were available in InDesign 2.0 and then not from CS on. InDesign 2 was almost as good as Illustrator for drawing, those who used it know what I say! ;-)

Don't you all prefer to draw in Illustrator and "copy-paste" artwork over into InDesign? Or link an vector EPS afterwards? :)

"It´s better to die for something ... than to live for nothing!" :cool:

#6 JasonLarche_Com

JasonLarche_Com

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:07 AM

yep.. keep it easy, these programs are designed to work with each other. Photoshop for raster work and imagery, illustrator for vector graphics, logos, etc. Indesign for layout of said objects.

#7 Guttlesswonder

Guttlesswonder

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:07 AM

[I]
Don't you all prefer to draw in Illustrator and "copy-paste" artwork over into InDesign? Or link an vector EPS afterwards? :)

It is definately preferable to do your vector based work in Illustrator. It is much more flexible and allows for much quicker fixes than InDesign. The interface is just so much more vector specific in Illustrator that your work flow will be alot smoother.

That said, I am so glad that they added the "Pathfinder" tool to InDesign. It makes me cry when I have to get things ready for the printer in Quark and have to go and measure everything "by hand." That tool is my favorit in both Illustrator and InDesign.

#8 Kramer

Kramer

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:06 PM

TommyGun,
I think the important point you make in your post is that the Quark audience, on average, has been using Quark longer, and preparing digital prepress files longer, than your average InDesign user, at least at the time of the ID2 version you're discussing (keeping in mind, allot of those users were probably PageMaker users, who likely did not have the prepress experience that your average Quark user at the time did). I've used everything from PageMaker, to Quark, to Word, to FrameMaker, to InDesign for layout. I find InDesign's prepress functionality every bit as good as Quark....as long as the files are set up correctly. And I see an awful lot of poorly prepared files.

And to address the original question, I definitely would keep rastar images in Photoshop, vector graphics in Illustrator, and merge the content with InDesign...just has been suggested elsewhere in this topic. And I would follow that with any layout application of similar functionality (i.e., Quark).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://www.jdkds.com

#9 bman78

bman78

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:37 PM

I would have to agree that InDesign is a great program and Adobe is starting to blur the lines on what application does what. Illustrator can do some raster effects, PhotoShop can do some vector artwork and Indesign can start doing a little bit of each.

However, I think they are still better at what they are designated to do. If I were doing a logo, I would still use Illustrator and then If I needed to bring it into a brochure, I would use InDesign for it's strong page layout and typography tools.

#10 Design_aLa_Mode

Design_aLa_Mode

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

yep.. keep it easy, these programs are designed to work with each other. Photoshop for raster work and imagery, illustrator for vector graphics, logos, etc. Indesign for layout of said objects.

This is so true, especially since CS3 came out, the programs are very well integrated and meant to work out with each other. I know from my experience I use InDesign for all my layout work whether its a simple brochure or 20 giant display boards. I bring in all my logos, graphics, maps, ect. from Illustrator or Photoshop and place them into the layout.

InDesign works by linking to the files you place so that they are not embedded into the actual file which keeps the file size small. Once you finish a project you just package the whole thing up and it makes a nice neat little folder with all your fonts and images used.

And a nice little tip is that if you want to edit an image that you have placed in the InDesign file just right click on the image and click on "edit original" and that will open up the logo for example you created in Illustrator. Once you have made changes and saved all you have to do in InDesign is Relink that file in the Links pallet

#11 MICHAELMANASSEH

MICHAELMANASSEH

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

Yea I started using indesign not to long ago, I however am kind of struggling on a lot of issues. does any body know where to find any good video tutorials on line? I have googled but all to no avail, and yes I prefer video if possible, its easier for me to catch on that way.
But over all I dig the 3 way adobe combo mentioned in previous posts, I am still strongest in PS and am currently striving to increase my skills in the other two.

#12 thomas raj

thomas raj

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:46 PM

The term graphic design is referred to a number of artistic and professional disciplines which mainly focus on visual communication and presentation of web pages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users