• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 squarelogo

squarelogo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

I just rec'd an e-mail denying my application to the DC design team. While my initial reaction was to get a little ticked off, I thought I'd better seek some feedback from other designers. The feedback I rec'd was that only a few of my designs were considered "OK", and the rest didn't meet the DC standards.

I'm not upset about not being a part of this site, but what really gets to me is the vague feedback. I'd really appreciate some help in figuring this one out.

Please take a look at some of my work at www.squarelogo.com and give me your HONEST feedback. Whether it is general feedback or specific to any one of the logos currently posted, I'd be very grateful for your thoughts....good or bad.

Thank you very much!
Dave

#2 entz

entz

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:54 PM

Honestly! i think they've made a mistake. I've seen your work and i must say that you are very creative and talented. Creativity doesn't just happen, it is a process that take a while to master, and you have master it. Dont give up! i'm sure your next application will be accepted ;)

#3 ~V~

~V~

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

Hey there,

I think your design are better than OK, some of them had some really simple and clever concepts and in general your logos are executed well. However, I felt that some I might have seen before, they weren't necessary attention grabbing, and maybe require just a bit more work to make them stronger.

Maybe you could get in touch with one of the admins directly and ask what you can do to help your application next time? And just because you didn't make the design team this time doesn't mean your not part of the site, hopefully you'll stick around and still contribute to the discussion forums. :)
"Why?"
-------------------------
http://vdesigns.livejournal.com/

#4 Sour

Sour

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:45 AM

You are heading in a good direction with your logo designs. As far as ideas, spacing, layout, you seem pretty much on the same level as the bulk of the design team members.

I guess it is just to do with the range of work you are presenting. Redesign your site and show some print work (business cards, leaflets, posters).

Also remember that their backgrounds are in art so some illustrations are a must. Not that I agree that designers must be perfect artists.
www.sour.co.nz
Logo Design

#5 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:31 AM

I just want to clear up the fact that some of those designs are new (i.e. they were not in the portfolio when it was reviewed). Coincidentally enough, they're the better designs of the ones currently displayed.

Squarelogo, if you could produce the kinds of designs that were recently added - on a consistent basis - then you would certainly be welcome on the team. However, thus far you've shown that you cannot, since most of the other designs are still in line for improvement.

As is the recurring theme in the above posts, this is not the end of the line. Grab your favorite logo and typography resources for inspiration and start trying to close that quality gap. If you practice enough, then by the time you re-apply, you won't have anything to worry about. There's no such thing as being too good, right?

Concerning the length of the reply e-mail, I don't think its reasonable to expect a book-review-sized evaluation. It's late at the moment, so I don't have time to go into a deep explanation, but suffice to say that I used to do it and I stopped for good reason.

Sour, I also must correct a few of the things you've pointed out. The assessment is based solely on the work within the portfolio. The portfolio design itself has no bearing on the result. Also, there are no requirements as to how many categories should be presented; logos only, websites only, etc are all ok.

The only requirement is that you present good work for whatever types of contests you wish to enter. If you want to enter logo contests, then you need only present logos; same with websites for website contests and so on.

#6 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

Yea,you have some good stuff, nice stuff too! Some of your logos are a little "clunky" the fonts are maybe a tad to big, or they are not really graphically engaging, but I like most of what you have done.

lol Have fun if you make the team!
www.uniment1.com :: Design Services

#7 squarelogo

squarelogo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:19 PM

I just want to clear up the fact that some of those designs are new (i.e. they were not in the portfolio when it was reviewed). Coincidentally enough, they're the better designs of the ones currently displayed.

Squarelogo, if you could produce the kinds of designs that were recently added - on a consistent basis - then you would certainly be welcome on the team. However, thus far you've shown that you cannot, since most of the other designs are still in line for improvement.

As is the recurring theme in the above posts, this is not the end of the line. Grab your favorite logo and typography resources for inspiration and start trying to close that quality gap. If you practice enough, then by the time you re-apply, you won't have anything to worry about. There's no such thing as being too good, right?

Concerning the length of the reply e-mail, I don't think its reasonable to expect a book-review-sized evaluation. It's late at the moment, so I don't have time to go into a deep explanation, but suffice to say that I used to do it and I stopped for good reason.

Redrum, I appreciate your response, but frankly I still don't understand your comments. You say that thus far, I've shown that I cannot produce quality work on a consistent basis. How do you possibly come to that conclusion? You are able to judge my abilities from glancing at my site a couple times? You don't know me, and you don't know what I'm capable of.

As with every other designer, I am improving every day. I've been doing this for a long time and I am confident in my abilities, but your comments are harsh and without backing it up with some actual examples, I'm not going to take you seriously. Pick a logo example or two and tell me what is wrong with them. Explain to me why they are so poorly executed. I'd really like to know.

The vast majority of the examples on my site are the final product. The final version of the approved artwork by the client. Some clients request things that I do not agree with, but the client is always right....right? Which brings me to another question...When I display my work, should I display the version that I prefer, or the final version that the client purchased? Personally, I find it odd when I see a logo in a designers portfolio that isn't actually being used anywhere. I feel that it loses credibility.

#8 squarelogo

squarelogo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

Hey there,

I think your design are better than OK, some of them had some really simple and clever concepts and in general your logos are executed well. However, I felt that some I might have seen before, they weren't necessary attention grabbing, and maybe require just a bit more work to make them stronger.

Simple and clever is what I strive for. I worked in the promotional products field as an art director for over ten years dealing with various logos every day. Many of the logo designs I have had to work with are horrible. Not always because of bad design skills, but some logos that are just plain impossible to use. Text that is imposible to read when imprinted at 1/4" high, or multi color gradients that can't be imprinted on most products. Logos so complex that they can't be embroidered on a polo shirt, etc.

Most designers don't take these things into account when designing.

I almost always make sure that my logos work well when printed in one solid spot color in small sizes.

It seems that logo designs are too often judged on how complex and colorful they are, how many cool effects they have, and if they look 3D or not. In my opinion, that stuff is all great, but if it can't be reproduced in one color and look consistent with the rest of the branding, it is worthless.

Thanks for the comments V.

#9 squarelogo

squarelogo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:38 PM

Honestly! i think they've made a mistake. I've seen your work and i must say that you are very creative and talented. Creativity doesn't just happen, it is a process that take a while to master, and you have master it. Dont give up! i'm sure your next application will be accepted ;)

Thanks entz!

(see you over at SP)

#10 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

Squarelogo....

The vast majority of the examples on my site are the final product. The final version of the approved artwork by the client. Some clients request things that I do not agree with, but the client is always right....right? Which brings me to another question...When I display my work, should I display the version that I prefer, or the final version that the client purchased? Personally, I find it odd when I see a logo in a designers portfolio that isn't actually being used anywhere. I feel that it loses credibility.

I'd display whatever one YOU feel is best (you could also display the final one as well)
As far as a logo losing its credibility that isn't being used...what?
My logos are all examples of my skills as a designer, some of my favorite work, is work that was rejected by client..........they go right in my portfolio.Alot of logos that are being used, 'real', I don't have in my portfolio;)

The top logos, look really different that the ones further down on your page .........were the first ones earlier works?

#11 squarelogo

squarelogo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

Squarelogo....

The top logos, look really different that the ones further down on your page .........were the first ones earlier works?

No, actually there is no rhyme or reason to the placement of the logos on the page.

I'm working on redesigning my site, and I'll also showcase some of my other work that I'm proud of but did not get used by the client. Thanks.

#12 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:06 AM

Redrum, I appreciate your response, but frankly I still don't understand your comments. You say that thus far, I've shown that I cannot produce quality work on a consistent basis. How do you possibly come to that conclusion? You are able to judge my abilities from glancing at my site a couple times? You don't know me, and you don't know what I'm capable of.

When I write "thus far" I mean "from what I can see in your portfolio". The very purpose of a portfolio is to display what you are capable of, so I shouldn't have to know you. If you're capable of more, then you should make your portfolio reflect that.

It's ok to post personal work, as long as it's marked appropriately. As rinaldidesigns mentioned, there's also nothing stopping you from showing both the final result and your favorite alternative(s). If those alternatives prove that you're a better designer, then I wouldn't even consider it optional to include them, I would think it to be an absolute must.

I'll offer some feedback when I get the chance. In the meanwhile, instead of me going through your portfolio and picking out random designs, why don't you present two or three pieces that you feel might use some improvement and why. That way I'll know you're willing to accept criticism on those designs, as well as what kind feedback will be useful to you.

#13 onesummer

onesummer

Guru

• Designer
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

@squarelogo, you may want to also include some background or explanation information for your logos. While I think "clever" logos should not need explanations to make them understandable, sometimes providing some background information on the client can help support design elements in a logo. just some thing to think about.
- onesummer (paul)

visit my portfolio website at: www.pauljobson.com

#14 xonic

xonic

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:44 AM

i think you are qualified for sure. but as everyone knows it is up to the judge. and everyone has different tastes. maybe they dont want you to steal the logo contests. but i think the better competition, the better the site. i was looking at other logo sites, i saw u there too, it shows you are committed to designing, i would vote for you.

#15 entz

entz

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:54 AM

agree.. design is subjective. I think the judging panel should consist of at least 2-3 people. Only one guy is not really credible as like xonic said, different people have different taste.

#16 ~V~

~V~

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:21 AM

I think _Redrum handles the applications for DC but the portfolios are reviewed by more than one person. And I really don't think that they'd reject someone to remove a competitive threat, like you said competition is good for the site and contest holders.
"Why?"
-------------------------
http://vdesigns.livejournal.com/

#17 onesummer

onesummer

Guru

• Designer
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

V's right, portfolio's are reviewed by multiple DC admins.

@Squarelogo, i mean this as constructive criticism. The logo's in your portfolio are mostly clean and professional looking, but they just don't stand out from the crowd. They remind me of the kind of stuff you'd get from those logo sites like logoworks. Just don't be afraid to add your own 'style' or creativity to your designs to make them more interesting and clever. I'm sure you're aware of logopond inspiration site; check out the featured designers there and see how their designs are so very original and many very clever. Sorry, it's hard to describe what I'm trying to say. Please understand I say this only to give you another point of view so you may improve your skills; not to put you down. You're very good, and I'm sure you'll get accepted the next time around.
- onesummer (paul)

visit my portfolio website at: www.pauljobson.com

#18 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

_Redrum is solely in charge of application process, AND portfolio review......
the team welcomes all new members, we need them, but still a process needs to be followed to keep the level of design team........that is why there is an application process/portfolio review.

#19 hackdesign

hackdesign

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

i am not sure about that -V-
i am very qualified but i was rejected
it really amazes me
i remained quiet
i just posted a request for people to comment on my work
i didnt want to say anything about rejection
cause i know the administration are probably tired getting yelled at
i didn't want to be one of those people

but it has been a week now
and after reading this
and seeing squarelogo's work
and looking at other design team members work
i really dont see how i can get rejected
i do agree people have different tastes
like i said before the client never picks my favorite
because they dont know what a really well designed logo is
just what logo they like
so to me, some of my logos are ok
but the client loved them
i show them all to show my diversity

i am actually a pretty well-known designer
just now getting better acquainted with the web
i wanted to be apart of this site
and i showed alot of interest and spent alot of time reading
and i was rejected like a slap in the face
for wanting to be a part of a team
you should be so lucky to have dedicated people like me involved
i do the same job as redrum in taiwan
as an editor of an art magazine
sometimes i am a little bias to my tastes
but when people show real interest
i love to help them
i didnt even get a vote

i have been designing for 15 years
i worked as an art-director with designers working for me
i have worked for many large agencies
and i have run my own design business for 7 years
who wants to see a picture of me and Paul Rand working together?

i really don't think i am the best or anything
really, i respect other artists and love to see their work
the reason i started the art magazine
everyone has their own style
but what i do know
i give my life to designing and being an artist
and i try to be apart of this site
and i get rejected
it hurt maybe worse than a girl breaking up with me
i know i shouldn't worry about it like that
and i don't really, just talking

i just want to know the real reason
if someone thinks i am not qualified to ENTER A CONTEST
then please let me know

this is just some of my favorite logos
http://logopond.com/...e/showcase/7400

this is my design site
there are hundreds of examples
site still needs work
i have alot to add and fix
sorry it loads a little slow at first
http://www.hackdesig.../work/work.html

i have nothing against redrum
he does a nice job
and he is good at responding
which is great
i know his job can be tough
but it just baffles me that i got rejected

can anyone put me in my place?
thank you
hack

I think _Redrum handles the applications for DC but the portfolios are reviewed by more than one person. And I really don't think that they'd reject someone to remove a competitive threat, like you said competition is good for the site and contest holders.

#20 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

I feel a bit insulted by the lack of faith. I know quite a bit more than you guys might think about what a good logo should be. I may not be correct 100% of the time, but my goal is to get as close to that as possible. Furthermore, I am much more dedicated to conducting a thorough evaluation of a portfolio than what some seem to think.

FYI, I have never rejected a portfolio because I just "subjectively" didn't like it. Matter of fact, I've rejected portfolios that I liked subjectively, but they lacked in meeting certain objective criteria.

Yes, I do use my initial reaction to gauge the quality of the designs, but in the end my reasoning is objective. Over the last few years I've looked at more portfolios than I can count (and not just for DC), so I do have...oh just a few hundred of them...to compare with in my mind.

As a matter of fact, having two or more people judging is not that much better. For one, they may not all agree to judge objectively. Secondly, they may not have the same criteria in their minds when judging. Third, they will most likely feel less responsible for being 100% sure of their vote because there will always be others to outvote them if they are wrong. Placing the responsibility on one person provides consistency and dedication, and has potential for a much shorter turnaround time.

I feel that some of you are missing the finer details of logo design criteria: That is the subjective approach, which I do not take. If you look closely at criteria such as consistent style, flow, brandability, effective message, etc, then you will see many more flaws than if you just look at the design and decide whether you like it or not. Once you look at those details about 100 times, you will begin to have quite a good eye for them. I'm not saying that no one else has a good eye for those things, but it appears that at least some here do not.

I'd like to remind those of you making comparisons based on designs seen from current Design Team members that:
1. I didn't accept all of the current members.
2. Not all Design Team members design logos for DC. Some are limited strictly to other design categories.
3. Those who I did accept had good work in their portfolio. Obviously, I can't see into the future, so I cannot guarantee that all of their work will always be 100% consistent with what I was shown.

I want to make something clear: Squarelogo doesn't have as far to go as many of the other portfolios I view regularly. Some of you seem to have the idea that I completely dislike most of his logos; this is not the case! The same goes for you, Hack.

As I mentioned above, there are (often overlooked) subtleties that I must consider in order to make an objective decision on a portfolio that isn't all bad. Those subtleties often reveal that a designer isn't ready, because he/she doesn't see his/her own mistakes, which makes me wonder what other mistakes that person might overlook.

So it's not all black and white with me, guys. If I just glanced at the portfolios and said "yeah, ok it's not bad, I'll let 'em in", then I wouldn't be doing a very good job. With our prices increasing soon, the current criteria is quite fair, if not a bit slack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users