food photography

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 sjkelly07

sjkelly07

• Designer
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Out of curiosity, how long or how many designs did it take for you to win your first Gold Medal?

#2 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

There are no rules.
I'm here for more than 2 years off & on, and no gold medal yet. :-)
Just the other day I was so close to it. A minute before closing the contest I saw myself rated first. I thought I would get an heart attack. ;););)

#3 redspidey

redspidey

• Designer
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

ya no rules about that..I win my fist gold medal at 2 weeks after I joint this site..

#4 Javed

Javed

Banned

• Banned
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

I get my first Gold in 4th month :)

#5 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

For me, after 1 month :) ..but as everyone said. it's not a rule. it happens when you make the right design for the right ch ;)

good luck

Edited by like an angel, 26 July 2012 - 12:28 PM.

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#6 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

You have to be constantly on top of the competition to see which direction CH want, is a useful hint. not just make a logo or any design and wait for the final decision, but pay close attention to the tips left by ch in chat.

#7 Jera

Jera

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

The CH have his/her own taste of picking depending on your design. Sometimes they want simple, but mostly they want design that is so unique. Got my 3 golds now. Hoping to win many golds soon. Goodluck to your DC journey :)

#8 lperwas

lperwas

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

You definitely want to stay ontop of what the CH is looking for...sometimes they change their minds near the end of the contest. In my very first contest, the CH was looking for a lot of scroll work on a frame around the company name...then, on the last day, she wanted to see very simple designs. I ended up winning gold with one of the simple designs I made at the very end of the contest!

Sometimes, you work with the CH throughout the entire contest and you think you are going to win, and at the end, someone else gets the gold...it's frustrating, but you have to take the experience and move on!

#9 sjkelly07

sjkelly07

• Designer
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Interesting to read peoples comments, thank you. As everyone says design is purely about peoples taste. I have only been a member for about a month and speaking from experience the 2 medals I have received to date, have been what I thought were the weakest of my designs. But each to there own I guess. Also I find, as some of you have mentioned, when you enter a contest and you receive your first bit of feedback, you become hooked, you find yourself reading the comments page morning and night, comparing your designs to others. It is so addictive and really enthralling. I don't know if anyone else feels the same. I guess its just the passion for design.

Anyway keep up the fantastic work guys and good luck.

#10 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

There are no rules.
I'm here for more than 2 years off & on, and no gold medal yet. :-)
Just the other day I was so close to it. A minute before closing the contest I saw myself rated first. I thought I would get an heart attack. ;););)

:) @ Babba, keep it up! Keep on learning and improving your work and soon you will get your deserved gold!

--
Same to all designers ... learn / improve (not jus designing but dealing with CH / clients .. give a GOOD SERVICE) how to give the CH what he/she is looking for ....

I use to say to my relatives: "The winner is not always the BEST QUALITY or ACADEMIC/TECHNIQUE design .. but the one which fully satisfied the expectations of ContestsHolders ... "
Their wishes our commands :-P that is how it works ... LOVE ALL, SERVE ALL

On the other hand .. skills + techniques + typography + experience + design software is the other half ... LOTS of AMAZING design haven't won .. and they have even been deleted ... :-O I sometimes use to scream "WTF!" ... because of some amazing logos that didn't get the gold ... mine or not mine (there are amazing designers around such as: morabira, baiskee, ZukiH, cclark, eximius, moimemme ... and many more).

Finally, I just wanted to say (to all of you: beginers and pros) ... "FEEL" THE CLIENT ... READ THE BRIEF & FEEDBACKS ... RESPECT OTHERS ... BE ORIGINAL ... DO YOUR BEST ... and POST ONLY THOSE DESIGNS THAT YOU REALLY LIKE ... and you will soon get those medals .. and even better: you will see your work used in unimaginable places around the the world! ... uh and last but not least ... you will get some money ..

All the best!
Good luck and success.
--
jjyepez

Edited by jjyepez, 28 July 2012 - 03:57 AM.

• NakamuraToki likes this

#11 sjkelly07

sjkelly07

• Designer
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

jjyepez, Fantastic comments and some really good points. So glad I found this site, hopefully it will improve me as a designer

#12 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

May I sign your post bellow?;)

Great words!

#13 SpyMouse

SpyMouse

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:02 AM

I won my first 2 gold medals today after 6 weeks and 60 entries. :D

#14 Javed

Javed

Banned

• Banned
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Lovely advice give by jjyepez, it gives a lot of encouragement to all of us

#15 hang

hang

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi, I also suggest about medal for the contest.
I think DC should pay even for the second prize and the third ones. Because if they are on top 3 designs, that means quality of them is similar. Money is very small comparing with the first prize but it encourages designer much. The winner which is selected not only good but also fortune.
That is my idea.
I hope DC community think about this.
Thanks
Hang

Edited by hang, 27 July 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#16 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hang,
We make and sell designs, DC provide sell services, so it is retail concept. Why would DC pay other 2?!
BTW, admissions for sites like DC are not big comparing to winning designer price.
DC very often set internal prize competition or split money if contest is abandoned, which is far enough and keep up with DC community.

#17 NakamuraToki

NakamuraToki

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

Yes, it depends on your pace :) and even there's a component of luck when you connect to the right client.

#18 crabios

crabios

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

all remain dependent on the ability and how precise and good ideas for your client.
great ability but the idea did not fit these expectations = useless :(
so did the opposite.

#19 Suleman khan

Suleman khan

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

my First Gold Medal after 3 month and those days i was very very happy. and Now i have 3 gold medals

#20 sjkelly07

sjkelly07

• Designer
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

I've been a member since the beginning of June (almost 2 months). I have so far gained 5 Bronze medals, but cannot seem to make that next step. Hopefully the feedback within this thread will help me to progress.

Thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food photography

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users