Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

new website and logo is launched!

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

check out the front page of DC and let us know what you think about the new layout and new logo.
Many new features are coming with the new design, we'll talk more about them as they appear on the site.

#2 baiskee

baiskee

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 915 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

Bold and neat! some typefaces are kinda big though but overall design is great!

;)
LOGOWORX

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you don't have; rather remember that what you have now was once among the things you only hoped for.”

#3 Dawn Shepard

Dawn Shepard

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

check out the front page of DC and let us know what you think about the new layout and new logo.
Many new features are coming with the new design, we'll talk more about them as they appear on the site.

I'm new to Design Contests and have been to the site maybe a dozen times so...when I came today to log in I thought I had the wrong site. I checked and it was right. I like the new look. I love the top "Need a Design", "Love to Design". right away it leads you in the direction you want to go. Some of the icons next to the buttons in the navigation bar didn't show up, just a question mark icon. In general it feels brighter and more friendly. The green color used for the prize amounts and the overstate position on the navigation buttons is too bright, too "highlighter" color and is hard on the eyes. I like it better than the old one.

• Guests

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

baiskee, Dawn Shepard, thanks for your comments!

Dawn, you must be using Safari? We are aware of this problem and we are working on it. If you want to see what site should look like, try Firefox it works perfectly on Mac too.

Everybody, please, post! Exceptionally in this thread even one liner comments (it's good or it's bad) are welcome. We want to know what you think. You can develop your thoughts but just your impression is very important for us!

#5 onesummer

onesummer

Guru

• Designer
  • 804 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

i have a tendency to be overly critical (and often picky), so take my suggestions with a grain of salt...

i like the main banner (need a design...love to design..), the additional content sections, and general layout

I don't care much for the usage of the lime green color for text, nor for the navigation rollovers...or the choice of various graphic elements (greyish background images, nav. arrows, black and grey border lines, contest/thread icons). I feel like the overall graphical elements don't flow well together.

And not that potential customers are likely to view the page source, but I'm strongly against the usage of tables for layout.

it is better than the previous homepage though.
- onesummer (paul)

visit my portfolio website at: www.pauljobson.com

#6 T Graphics

T Graphics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Finally I am not getting a virus alert anymore from AVAST! Good job on that at the very least haha.

Don't mind the new look. But kinda looks like one of those site that appear when you type in a domain name wrong and just contains lists to simiar topics...

#7 onesummer

onesummer

Guru

• Designer
  • 804 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

Don't mind the new look. But kinda looks like one of those site that appear when you type in a domain name wrong and just contains lists to similar topics...

Yes, exactly! that is the same feeling i got from the look as well (just didn't know how to explain it in my first post).
- onesummer (paul)

visit my portfolio website at: www.pauljobson.com

#8 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

as stated above I like the top portion. but everything under "need a design" "love to design" feels kinda tossed in there.

perhaps have the Welcome right under or above the Need and love area. It might help give a feeling of what I'm here for. because after the need/love selection it could loose a new person as what they are actually here for.?

have you thought about dividing the page into two halves to follow the two main toppics and seperat with colors either the same or close to those two choices, like maybe a % transparency.?.
like under "Need a design" then have your contests and under love to design have the forum threads. ?? just a thought.? And possibly have the blog at the bottom and the ads by google just under that?

The overall look is better and more easily navigated than the previous home page.

just my $.02

• Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

Finally I am not getting a virus alert anymore from AVAST! Good job on that at the very least haha.

that's one of the main reasons behind the update. it concerns not only the layout but also security and functionality.

onesummer, T Graphics, Coy, thanks for your comments. That's true, the site is work in progress and there a lot of things that will be improved over time. So if you have other ideas, please, feel free to share with us!

#10 Dongerz

Dongerz

• Designer
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:11 PM

that's one of the main reasons behind the update. it concerns not only the layout but also security and functionality.

onesummer, T Graphics, Coy, thanks for your comments. That's true, the site is work in progress and there a lot of things that will be improved over time. So if you have other ideas, please, feel free to share with us!

I am simply trying to download the logo canvas to submit a logo but the link just brings me to the new home page which I like incidentally. Easy to get to current projects. Anyway, please help asap. Contest closes today.
Thank you!

• Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

I am simply trying to download the logo canvas to submit a logo but the link just brings me to the new home page which I like incidentally. Easy to get to current projects. Anyway, please help asap. Contest closes today.
Thank you!

Yes, it's my fault. Sorry! I will upload the file later today. Meanwhile if you see any designers online, could you ask them to send you a copy (they might have it on the computer) via email.

#12 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

I like it better then before (good functionality, nice color scheme) but in my opinion the top banner design has nothing to do with the rest of the page.
I think you could use blue and orange at the bottom of the page as well
the overall design does not seem balanced on vertical
hope this helps:)
regards
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 Meretrix

Meretrix

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

I'm really enjoying the front page layout -- it reminds me of a similar site, 99designs.com? If you've ever heard of it? It's a good thing really, the short updated listings are very efficient! The new logo I feel looks like half a heart, and doesn't read 'D' or 'C's like the original logo can, but it does look more uniform and less like abstract curves or something (weirdo here, I see kissing angelfish in the original black and green DC). Blue and orange look appealing, but well, I hope over time somehow it looks less 'blank'. Maybe more graphics, user icons or anything to keep it from looking like a parked template...? Hope I'm not sounding too insulting, don't mean to.
Will the forums be next to be modified to match the look I assume?

#14 ideamaker

ideamaker

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:55 AM

the font size, look & feel should be neat & clean...right now it feels like i have slow internet connection hence the website has been launched in basic HTML format...that i feel personally

new DC logo is great!
- IDEAMAKER -

• Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

robert777, Meretrix, ideamaker, thank you, guys for the comments!

#16 Guest_Gerhard Schlee_*

Guest_Gerhard Schlee_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

The new site is quite better than the old one, but I didn't like the new logo very much. It is better than the old one, but it is not great. Looks like it was done with just a few hours of development, and its concept looks half baked. The old one was remarkable, at least. This one looks quite generic.

#17 Dawn Shepard

Dawn Shepard

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

I've spent some time here now and I find the existing site really hard to navigate. Here are some areas I feel need improvement.

There are several different design contests. A Community Contest, An Elite Design Team member Only contest and A Design Team Contest. I have trouble finding any of them. If I was a Design Team member and trying to compete I would like to have easy access to the contests. Maybe a CONTEST button on the navigation bar that then has the three (or more that I may not know about) contest links. I've been to what I think is the Community Contest link only to find Archive contests. Does that mean there are no Comminty Contests right now? I would guess this sort of process may be happening after you push the "Love to Design" button on the home page.

Then there is the general discussion/blog forum, which I think is the main reason most designers come here considering so few make it on the Design Team and again, I really have a hard time finding discussions. Then when I find one I want to jump into I don't know which "reply" button to push. There's one inside the box of EVERY post then there's one on the outside of the box of the last post. I've pushed both and ended up "Replying". I'm confused. Make it simple to talk to other designers and give feedback.

I tried to become a Design Team Member. There are statements posted instructing you to following the LINK labeled "Become a Design Team Member" which is no where to be found. When I click the link in the Q&A section about becoming a design team member and I get shot back to the new home page. I think a applied for an Elite Design Team member out of sheer confusion. Later I find that an Elite Design Team member is actually separate from a Design Team member. Make it easy to apply. Have information that explains the different levels of teams you can apply for and what you are looking for in design ability.

I have enjoyed meeting the new people here and I like what you are trying to do but it has to be easy to navigate.

#18 graphicandweb

graphicandweb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

Is the new logo the one with the half heart shape? i'm new here so I don't know if what's old and what's new

#19 robert777

robert777

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:47 PM

yes..that's the one:)
my projects
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 stjom

stjom

Apprentice Designer

• Designer