• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

hello everyone,

i've just about finished my first online portfolio ever! it's all flash, too, which was interesting to work with since i'm still a bit of a newbie. anyway, here it is:

http://nightstand.org/portfolio

looking forward to your feedback!

brandy

#2 nyxxie

nyxxie

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:20 PM

I like it a lot. It's simple, clean and fun. :)

#3 Yuniqa

Yuniqa

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:38 AM

i see you're good in flash...

i think the main menu is a bit distracting. It's hard to remember all categories once they dissapear. also the font is a bit too small. Other than that, it has a clean and fresh feel.

#4 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:11 PM

thanks guys! i will see what i can do about the font size..

#5 Jayberz

Jayberz

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

I am not a fan of the mystery navigation. People will get frustrated and click away. Some of the black text is hard to read on the darker colors as well. You also have arrows that do not work next to piece being displayed.
Red Letters Studio
Blending the Word with the Web!
www.redlettersstudio.com

#6 ukp

ukp

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:16 PM

nice idea! its good....

#7 ukp

ukp

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:17 PM

if I rate it on the scale of 5 it would be 4

#8 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:22 PM

I am not a fan of the mystery navigation. People will get frustrated and click away. Some of the black text is hard to read on the darker colors as well. You also have arrows that do not work next to piece being displayed.

thanks for being openly critical. mostly i like my navigation as it is, although i am considering slowing down how fast the pinwheel turns, or maybe making it stop on a rollover. the arrow problem i discovered yesterday; they are actually meant for scrolling text, but are unnecessary in most cases because there isn't enough text to scroll.

#9 dingaling II

dingaling II

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:30 PM

I agree on the speed of the pinwheel, although if you are doing something with it my preference would be not to do rollovers as I think they look like people just put them in to say 'Look what I can do, aint I great'. Keep it simple and let the artwork speak for itself.

#10 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:39 PM

I agree on the speed of the pinwheel, although if you are doing something with it my preference would be not to do rollovers as I think they look like people just put them in to say 'Look what I can do, aint I great'. Keep it simple and let the artwork speak for itself.

i completely disagree about the rollovers. the whole point of a portfolio is to showcase my work and my abilities as a designer, so i don't see why saying "look what i can do" would be a bad thing, as long as it is still functional. i appreciate your comments, though.

#11 whit72

whit72

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:30 PM

I believe its simple looks great I like the idea of the rollovers.

#12 TurtleX

TurtleX

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

I didn't like chasing the navigation menu and as previously mentioned mystery navigation is a turnoff.

Unexpectedly opening links in new windows is a turnoff too, how about a little notice saying a new window will be opened? ;)

I like how everything opens in the little rounded box and your rollovers, but again they have no descriptions until clicked upon.

Sorry, if I sounded too harsh.

#13 whit72

whit72

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:52 PM

I like it a lot it is readll different from the norm, I like the spinning wheel.

#14 Antwawn

Antwawn

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:53 AM

Nice animation, but the navigation isn't easy enough to keep me around very long, and you should try to buff up the portfolio with more stuff.

#15 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:42 PM

thanks so much everyone for your feedback, both positive and negative--i am already working on ways to make the navigation clearer while still maintaining the current style. and of course i would like to have more content--that is part of why i want to be on the design team here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users