does it irritate you ...

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 lockjavv

lockjavv

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

as much as it does me ... when the contest holder is constantly online but never rates any of the submissions. No comments on what is working for them and what is not ..... just zero feedback until contest deadline.

#2 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

I think sometimes it shows online because the ch has not logged out, just guessing on that

Like us on facebook

#3 benwick

benwick

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

i do find that annoying, really want my work critiqued so i can improve it for future entries/competitions. think upon logging in/refreshing the CH should get a pop up from each entry and be forced into rating+writing something, that would benefit both parties.

#4 BenONE37

BenONE37

• Designer
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

Worst ever!... just help us out please... In the end they will get a better logo for it.

#5 iNoesis

iNoesis

• Designer
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

Hi,

benwick is right if the CH gives feedback it will be great to improve the design much better. some time it make us confuse that the CH like our design or now. :(. anyway we can't force them to give ratings or feedback.

#6 Amezarak

Amezarak

• Designer
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Also... it feels like a brick to the face when a design is rated as winner, but no silver or bronze medals and no other desing rates, thats a downer, i mean, even if i try and fai,l the work deserves a raiting point, that way we can progress in our abilities...

But hey, i agree with the above.

#7 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

yeah, it's a bit demoralising. I don't understand why there is no feedback at all on some contests - not even eliminations. If the CH gives feedback they are likely to get more designs from the designers they like, more designs overall and ultimately a better winning design. I don't think the CH understands this so maybe it could be made clearer when they start a contest? Perhaps it is made clear but they choose to ignore it? Most contests do however seem to get some feedback at some stage - so that's a good thing :).

#8 indreamo

indreamo

• Designer
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

I agree with you GJR. However, I'm looking for a reason CHs do so. Perhaps sometimes they don't exactly know what they want, so they give up rating to prevent designers from going one particular direction. Most of designers tend to get influenced by the winning design - drawing style, king od font, whole logo composition. I don't know, just guessing and trying to justify it somehow :)

#9 indreamo

indreamo

• Designer
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

Of course, it irritates me too. But the worst thing is the lack of feedback in blind contests.

#10 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

I agree with you GJR. However, I'm looking for a reason CHs do so. Perhaps sometimes they don't exactly know what they want, so they give up rating to prevent designers from going one particular direction. Most of designers tend to get influenced by the winning design - drawing style, king od font, whole logo composition. I don't know, just guessing and trying to justify it somehow :)

I've changed my mind about this now I have a bit more experience. Mostly the CH doesn't rate because they don't like the designs on offer. there are some exceptions - a small percentage - who don't rate at all. They have their reasons and we can only presume that somehow it works for them. I agree with you indreamo about ratings influencing designs, that's a particularly valid reason for the CH not to rate.

In my experience, ratings mean very little - I have won with 0 points and lost with 100 points. At the end of the day the CH knows nothing about design so their feedback on your designs is less important than it initially seems - what is most important is that with every design you are growing in experience and learning. There will be feedback at the end of the contest (either you win or don't) and from that you have everything you need to know!

#11 freakyphil1

freakyphil1

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

Often I just don't spend more time on a completely new or revised design if the CH gives no feedback at all. For that I find my time way to precious.

#12 serexzo

serexzo

• Designer
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:53 AM

what i do is i just move on to other contests... well, hoping something would happen... ;) :)

#13 castertatta

castertatta

Banned

• Banned
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

A big YES.

#14 jmaya

jmaya

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:49 AM

I hope so because its a pain! More so when your work is not critiqued at all and other work is yet you put effort into it obviously.

#15 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

These are typical problems.
The CH doesn't know how to talk about design.
The CH doesn't really know what they want. The CH will "know it when they see it".
The CH is holding the contest for a committee or their boss and doesn't really have a say.
The CH put up the contest just to test the waters for a business idea. (it will be abandoned)
The CH is running the same contest on multiple crowd source sites.
The CH has decided that conversation is not helpful because ALL the designs are substandard.

The CH is paying for what they get, mostly.:)

#16 dunkastic

dunkastic

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

its damn annoying , we put in a lot of efforts not for a few $$ but sometimes appreciation is the thing that gives the award -feel.
There must be some protocol for that ,like if you want entries you need to feed back them.

#17 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

It is hard for designers to understand that the site is for the Contest Holders, not the designers.
He who pays the piper calls the tune.
The failure of the CH to provide direction, feedback, and guidance means he will get just an unguided, random group of designs.
Garbage in, garbage out? Who knows?
Yes, there is a high level of frustration by designers trying to work in a vacuum. The contest, however, is not about YOUR feelings, sorry.
Designing is voluntary, just move on to a different contest.
Put it behind you and just deal with it.
Such is the nature of a service business.:eek:

#18 RarefiedAlien

RarefiedAlien

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

What I find very annoying is when the CH would critique a design, but offer no direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users