• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 wig1989

wig1989

Banned

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:13 AM

Hi All, im new to this site as was recommended by a friend. I have tried reading up on all rules for competitions that im able to enter in and additional site rules aswell. I would like some help with some questions i have. I am currently using GIMP, a sub to photoshop and understand that this may be an issue as clients require vector images on completion, is that right???? secondly to enter competitions do i have to have a paypal account?? say for instance if i somehow won, lol. lastly sorry to bore, i have not at present a online portfolio and would like some feedback on designs if possible please....

thanks all for reading,

:)

#2 aset

aset

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

Welcome to DC.

Yes all logos should be made in a vector program eg. Adobe illustrator.

To enter competitions you don't need a paypal account but if you do win one you should sign up to paypal. I would sign up anyway just incase :).

Post some of your finished designs in the 'Finished work showcase' section of the forum. You can post some in progress designs in the 'Works in progress' section.

Hope this helps.

#3 wig1989

wig1989

Banned

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

Hi aset,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will post a piece up i designed couple of days ago after looking at the contests running at the moment. This is for the My Foam contest, open to elite only i know, but just wanted to have a play and see what people thought.

thanks

#4 aset

aset

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

As I said before, post this logo in the 'Works in progress' or 'Finished work showcase' section as the 'introduce yourself' section is not the place to post logos for critique.
Another thing if you are active in a contest eg. doing designs for it, it is against the rules to post your design in the forum when that competition is still open.

That being said, your logo has some nice elements to it. I would try and use effects as least as possible though. Might look better without the drop shadow.
The bubbles seem to dominate the logo a little too much, I would make them smaller so they are about the width of the word 'foam'.

Enjoy your time on this site.

Edited by aset, 05 July 2010 - 10:08 AM.

#5 wig1989

wig1989

Banned

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for all the help today, plus the prompt reply and comments on the logo, im not activly taking part in the contest as i said above its open to the elite designers, obviously not me, lol. will take the comments onboard and will have a play around with the logo, one more question before you go, at present tying to load info to the work in progress thread but as i uploaded to this thread, it wont let me upload it again, how to i go around this??? refer people to this thread???

#6 wig1989

wig1989

Banned

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the help today, plus the prompt reply and comments on the logo, im not activly taking part in the contest as i said above its open to the elite designers, obviously not me, lol. will take the comments onboard and will have a play around with the logo, one more question before you go, at present tying to load info to the work in progress thread but as i uploaded to this thread, it wont let me upload it again, how to i go around this??? refer people to this thread???

Dont worry, done it. Thanks again see you around.

#7 Quim

Quim

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Hi D.C.
Dont use GIMP as its raster. Use Adobe Illustrator. You can download a copy ion bit torrents

#8 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hi D.C.
Dont use GIMP as its raster. Use Adobe Illustrator. You can download a copy ion bit torrents

I don't think that is a good idea;).....Adobe is available for purchase(at adobe.com, and many other places)....copied software,:eek:, big no-no;-)
I believe there are some free vector programs out there.....

#9 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

Hi D.C.

I don't think that is a good idea;).....Adobe is available for purchase(at adobe.com, and many other places)....copied software,:eek:, big no-no;-)
I believe there are some free vector programs out there.....
I've heard designers discuss inkscape
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

#10 Quim

Quim

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Im with you Rinaldi, but the cost of the CS suites in British pounds is over £500 (£900 USD). Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do until you can afford it. I know of places on Ebay where you can get student editions for about £150, but they are missing some vital components, but if you're just starting thats fine

EDIT: just noticed your located in Hampton Roads, you dont know a Chris Ambrosino at Nancy Thomas gallery do you?

Edited by Quim, 07 July 2010 - 03:46 PM.

#11 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

(sspppt, the student versions are the same as full versions, I used both, no difference, support is the same, etc)
I've heard designers rave about inkscape, its free!

I don't know Chris;-) I am in Norfolk

#12 wig1989

wig1989

Banned

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys to the thread, will look into the Student versions but did mention inkscape in the vector designs threads to see if that is ok as got that system to. so guessn that it ok then to use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users