Paint Shop Pro Vs. Photoshop

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 LukePettett

LukePettett

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

How does Corel PaintShop Pro compare to Adobe Photoshop? (Besides the fact that it is a lot cheaper.)
  • lalelemu likes this

#2 PeachyKeenWeb

PeachyKeenWeb

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

I use PaintShop Pro (because it's cheap), and I haven't encountered any problems -- basically, if I can sketch something on paper, I can reproduce it in PSP. I honestly haven't used Photoshop enough to make a good comparison, but so far, for basic logo design, PSP works for me.
  • lalelemu likes this

#3 rajagee

rajagee

• Designer
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Every new CS version of PhotoShop, I make it a point to download the trial and see if there's anything new that could possibly justify the cost, and I've yet to find it. Is it more powerful? Yes. Have I ever found myself in a situation that would need that sort of power? Not really. I do both graphic design and commercial photography, with a few weddings here and there. As a photo editor, it is more than capable of corrective work, and with the ability to use PS plugins, I have just as much creative control as the Adobe user. One thing that stands out though, is its ability to generate 100% original artwork in an absolute snap... Working with PSP/CorelDraw is SO much faster than using Photoshop/Illustrator. The only caveat to all of this is that Corel sortof lost sight of why PSP was so popular. My upgrade path ended at X2, after being a fervent supporter since the mid-90's. X3 is slightly unstable, and lacks the quick and easy usability that previous versions had... X4 takes this even futher, unfortunately.

Well, I recommend Paint Shop Pro because it's so easy for me to edit pictures that Photoshop. I just learned how to edit (all kinds of edits) in just one month. Now Photoshop users, what are you gonna say?
  • lalelemu likes this

#4 StarDesignz

StarDesignz

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

First of all let me say hi..!

I am new to the forum and Design Contest. Looks like a great place so I am really looking forward to getting more aquainted with the site and wonderful community.

As a continuous user of both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro I have encountered pros and cons in both sides...as with any other software.

To begin with, Paint Shop Pro is much more user friendly than Photoshop. Paintshop Pro is fairly simple, when it comes to editing graphics or editing photos. It also includes a variety of very useful editing tools and you can pratically find a work around to any Photoshop effect in Paint Shop Pro. I have acomplished complete Photoshop tutorials using work arounds in Paint Shop Pro with complete ease.

Photoshop on the other hand has a steeper learning curve I also feel that the editing tools and effects are scattered and hard to locate.

Also, most of the filters I use are compatible with both programs. There are a couple of awesome filters in the market that are not compatible with PSP, but again, there is always a work around for the same effect.

Now when it comes down to extra layer effects, brushes and layer styles then this is where Photoshop is a winner. There are many more styles, brushes, and effects for Photoshop than Paintshop Pro. There are tons of styles and brushes you can download for free to use with Photoshop. You can find a few for Paintshop Pro, but nothing compared to Photoshop. There are two main things I use Photoshop for and that is when I want to work with or create brushes and layer styles. Other than that I use Paint Shop Pro for all my editing needs.

Actually, I can not be without either program. I constantly switch back and forth.. as what one can't do the other will. So I guess it all depends on the editing needs of each individual rather than which one is best. As I stated earlier, both are wonderful and both have there ups and downs but if you are looking directly in creating professional graphics with modern and unique effects then I would go for Photoshop but for any other graphic editing need than Paint Shop Pro is more than capable of getting the job done and much more cheaper too..:)

I would also like to add that for my logo design I use Corel Draw or Illustrator and do not use Photoshop or PSP. I may be wrong but I have never found a way of exporting a vector file from either Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop without the file being rasterized upon export.

Edited by StarDesignz, 21 July 2012 - 04:50 PM.

• lalelemu likes this

#5 LukePettett

LukePettett

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

I use PaintShop Pro (because it's cheap), and I haven't encountered any problems -- basically, if I can sketch something on paper, I can reproduce it in PSP. I honestly haven't used Photoshop enough to make a good comparison, but so far, for basic logo design, PSP works for me.

Can PaintShop Pro export vectors?
  • lalelemu likes this

#6 Cassel

Cassel

Contest Holder (P)

• Client
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

Just as an added information, there is an easy way to convert Photoshop brushes into Paintshop Pro brushes. The process requires two free downloads and then can be executed in batch mode so you can convert hundreds of PS brushes in minutes. I have a complete tutorial here on my Campus.
  • lalelemu likes this

#7 LevelOne

LevelOne

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Paintshop Pro, is a good tool when used for images, Photoshop its amazing for foto editing but weaker for image working. That's my opinion.
  • lalelemu likes this

#8 Eraser

Eraser

• Designer
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hi Lukepettett
Both Corel Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop perform a variety of image-editing tasks and can help you design flyers, posters and other visual media. Both programs include tools to adjust color, saturation and tone, and can also be used to distort, crop, retouch and layer images. In photographs, both programs can remove red-eye and allow you to airbrush blemishes away. Adobe Photoshop has a wider array of features, although newer versions of Paint Shop have added more advanced editing techniques such as Fill Light, which brightens dark areas of a photo.
  • lalelemu likes this

#9 Almeida

Almeida

• Designer
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

Ótimo!!
  • lalelemu likes this

#10 PeachyKeenWeb

PeachyKeenWeb

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

PSP can save files in .emf and .wmf formats as vectors, but all layers flatten, and you lose quality.
  • lalelemu likes this

#11 Cassel

Cassel

Contest Holder (P)

• Client
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

As an added bonus, PSPX5 can now import abr brushes directly.
  • lalelemu likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users