• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:44 PM

What's up? This place used to be humming. Personnally I think some of your new restrictions have turned people off.

Specifically the one about not talking about other sites like this one. Some of your new mods actually came from other boards. I heard about this place on Flashkit. I know it's not one of the boards you have restricted mention of, because they don't hold contests...they used to, but the legal department shut them down.

I saw a great influx of designers from one of the other boards happen in January or February. Now I am hardly seeing any activity here at all. That board is still pretty active ask Shyflower.

I think one of the best contests I took part in was the Summer Fruit one, and it wasn't guarranteed. But I know you have already taken the leap to all guarranteed.

I am just wondering how you plan on bringing the excitement back here.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#2 JakSmit

JakSmit

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:01 PM

I came from flashkit.

I think it is crappy not to be able to talk about other sites
also, should be free speech.
-- --- - -- ---- - -- ---- -- ---- --- - -- ---
My site: Freelance webdesign

• Guests

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:57 PM

the excitement is coming back :) Just allow the admins and mods work for you and maybe once in a while give them ideas to think about and everything will be better than ever. Actually a great amount of work has been done and is still being done behind the stage it's just not always visible.

As for switching back to non guaranteed, well, we can do it any moment, but I doubt that the majority of designers would like that.

Speaking about our competitors... We do not want to allow that for several reasons. First of all, it is in the rules. Whether you like the rules or not, you've got to respect them or leave the board. And this point is in the rules because we, admins and mods, are working hard to make this forum the best contest related website and a great community for designers and it is not fair, in my opinion to go around making people leave the community. It is disrespectful to our work. If you personally do not like what's going on here, you are free to go any time. Or you can always join our effort and take part in our evolution, this is far better!

#4 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:22 PM

I think the big point you are missing is that we are looking out for the designers now, where as before we weren't. Nobody will get ripped off anymore, and nobody will have to sit around and wait for answers. We are working to make things better, and it will be slightly slow in the process.

As far as other sites go - do you advertise other designers on your site? Its common sense to not allow other sites be shown or discussed here. Maybe it could be acceptable in the hangout - but anywhere else I don't think it should be allowed.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#5 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:01 AM

I heard about this site from another site. And I do recommend other sites and designers on other boards. I just feel a free exchange can be open and inspiring. Trying to pretend there aren't any competitors I think can cause a myopic viewpoint sometimes.

I didn't intend this thread to be a insult to the mods or administrators I was just wondering what's in the cards.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#6 belladonna

belladonna

Designer/Admin.

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:08 AM

Hi Penguinpedia, just wanted to tell you that I agree with you... a couple of days ago I was about to give up with DC, after some death contests...but now with all the changes taking place I feel much more confident on the site, and much more protected as a designer .
Hope this helps, I really apreciate the effort you guys are doing, after all, if the client is willing to pay, he should have no problem on doing it before =)...

What I also think, is that we should find a way to atract more customers and tempt them to open their contests in here, maybe by a better way of showing the previous designs made (they have an amazing group of designers working for the price of one, that´s a MAIN advantage for them).

The only thing they might fear is that they make the payment and then they can´t find a design they like... but we can solve this by changing the way of showing the previous designs, this way, they will know in advance the quality of the designers here =D. I´ll think on something that can help, I´ll try to bring not only problems but also a solution!

take care
Bella
Julieta Garcia .:view my work:.
Stop animal abuse & killing --->HERE

#7 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:26 AM

Thanks Bella :) I am glad you decided to stick around - I consider you to be an excellent designer and it would be a shame to lose you! You have made a great contribution to the community as a whole.

I agree with you as well as far as the design gallery goes. I think I will make it my new project to produce a nice HTML version of the gallery for easy access and viewing. I have noticed a few contest holders have referred to previous contests that they have liked, and if we can make this easier it will attract new contests.

This site has really picked up in the last month with all the changes, and I am happy to be a part of it! I am also really glad to hear that it has changed some opinions.

Thanks again,
- John
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

• Guests

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:48 AM

Bella, thank you for your trust in DC! As you can see, the development of the community doesn't happen on its own. It reqires a team work of people who believe in what they are doing and are willing to help others. You've got some good ideas and I would very much appreciate if you would keep sharing them with us and thus helping the community.

#9 Ruben@Run2

Ruben@Run2

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:18 AM

Well, quick thoughts:

1. Talking about other sites
Well, if i talked to my gf about my ex or other gurls, she prolly slaps me. So, as long as i dont like being use as a kickboxing bag, i dont say a word...lol. So, i think that a single question about other sites aint a problem: of course will be one if u pick a running contest to do it with 5 or 6 posts... if u want to know use a PM, that simple. Or, you dont need a highly IQ coefficient to go to Google and search for "design contest".

2. To Guaranteed or not?
Well, for those who really live from this can tell that if you invest time, as least you want to be sure that at the end you are going to receive what you was told to. Thats what i like from it. Non guaranteed contest? well as long as nobody put a gun on us to participate was a risk taken by members. But, having a lot of contest without a winner, or not hearing a word from the contest hosts, change of dates, change of concept (that one was funny) didnt give DC.net a good looking. And Admins have to be worry about their makeup... j/k

3. Free Speech
I think theres free speech here. I didnt *beep* believe that beign part of this *beep* site cuts your freedom of speech. But like any *beep* place, to be admitted you must follow some simple and *beep* rules.

4. 10% over the prize
Well i know that keeping this site alive demands time, money and patience! So, getting some extra money from contest is ok for me. But recently i was contacted by a couple of guys (they told me they did the same with others members, not sure) who wanted to host contests but declined to do it guaranteed because of that 10%. I must agree with them. There must be another way like: spliting that percentage between the host and the designer (at the end, you are giving a service to both, right?).
:: Ruben ::
www.RUN2Corp.com

#10 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:58 AM

10% over prize? Haven't heard anything about that, but I do know that on other sites a percentage is deducted from the original amount. It's like a retail merchant accepting credit card transactions...part of the deal. 10% seems a little high though. 2% is closer to norm.

I hope I haven't come off as negative, that wasn't my intention. I've been burned a number of times by contest holders so I am careful where I enter now. But it just seemed to me since the new restrictions, that contests have dwindled.

Maybe that's for the good. I am just wondering how DC hopes to spread the word.

Maybe it's just me, but since DC doesn't want other sites mentioned, I hesitate to recommend DC on other boards. I used to spread the word, but I don't know when I am overstepping now or not.

#11 davidude

davidude

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:23 AM

I think theres free speech here. I didnt *beep* believe that beign part of this *beep* site cuts your freedom of speech. But like any *beep* place, to be admitted you must follow some simple and *beep* rules.

That was a *beep* awesome example Ruben :)

#12 will

will

Designer / Technomancer

• Designer
  • 763 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:49 AM

Hi, Guys. How are all of you doing ? Hope excelent.

I don't have much to say but THANX for guaranteeing the contests. I left DC.net a month ago with a bad taste in my mouth since so many customers left a lot of contest without a news and I wasn't going to return if it weren't for the testimonial of great friends that are great designers here. Their words in pro of DC.net were so respectfull that I wanted to give it another shot.

I think this place can be an excelent provider of talent as well as jobs so as you have decided to give the designers the tranquility of knowing that they are supported somewhere in the "high command" you will see me around and my "shinny pearl" distracting you from the messages :D

On the 10% discount, well every place has diferent taxes and there is nothing that can be said (Administrators deserve some rewards after all for they support and timing, come on men !!!). So don't like it, don't post here. "Free Will"... live with it :D

On the "Unmentionables" I would say as it was said before: open your eyes, train your mind and type "Design Contests" in Google. That is all... (oh and don't forget to press "send" or the search won't start)

No more to say but: "RESPECT NATURE", "LIVE ACCORDING YOUR EXPECTATIONS", "BE TRUE TO YOURSELF" and "If you want to critize other designers USE THE *BEEP* PM".

That's all folks...

Peace
Will
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it" (EDITH WHARTON)
-- NEW Portfolio --

#13 jlinds72

jlinds72

Administrator/ Designer

• Designer
  • 1461 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:26 AM

10% over prize? Haven't heard anything about that, but I do know that on other sites a percentage is deducted from the original amount. It's like a retail merchant accepting credit card transactions...part of the deal. 10% seems a little high though. 2% is closer to norm.

I hope I haven't come off as negative, that wasn't my intention. I've been burned a number of times by contest holders so I am careful where I enter now. But it just seemed to me since the new restrictions, that contests have dwindled.

As far as the administration fees, 2% isn't enough to cover the amount that paypal charges just to receive the deposit (anyone can check the fees for themselves for a premium account if they don't believe me on this). It's simple math though - if a contest holder doesn't want to pay the additional 10%, then all they have to do is subtract it from the prize amount. For example, say a contest holder is willing to pay $100 for a design. All they have to do is say they'll pay $90 for the design tack on $9.00 for the admin. fee - and voila - they're only paying $99.00. So it surprises me that there really are contest holders out there that are deterred by the 10%. That leads me to believe that they may not have been serious about holding a contest in the first place.

It seems to me that there was a period of time when all the designers were complaining because they were being ripped off, and most of the contests weren't leading anywhere. I think that it was time for the management of this community to step up and take the necessary steps needed to cover the designers in this area. It certainly didn't look good for future contest holders to visit the boards, and all they see are dead contests - that wasn't saying much about the community.

Now that the rules have changed, I do think that we will experience a small "rebuilding" period, which is only natural when a restructuring process occurs. When it all comes down to it, this community wouldn't be possible at all if not for resurepus, and I really don't think that he's given enough credit for starting the community to begin with, as well as trying everything possible in order to improve it for all those involved.
Jenn Lindsey - Freelance Graphic Designer
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" - Joseph Chilton Pearce

My website: jennlindsey.com

Please review the new rules for DesignContest.net here

#14 JakSmit

JakSmit

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:14 PM

do you advertise other designers on your site?

Yes, I advertise two other designers on the main page of my site,
one who I consider to be better than me, but I give my clients
a choice

• Guests

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:20 PM

JakSmit, however this is rahter an exception than a rule.

#16 browncat

browncat

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:48 PM

1. Advertising other sites--Look at your Google ads. Today I noticed ads for other contests and cheap web templates.

2. I think serious business people would be discouraged by seeing so many recent "icon buddy" type contests. There need to be more contests like the 4London.info contest.

#17 JakSmit

JakSmit

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:18 PM

not really sure what you are trying to say brown cat.
Are you saying my point is true or false?

• Guests

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:26 PM

JakSmit, Browncat, this is one of the few points in the rules which is not to be discussed. If you keep pushing this question, we'll have to suspend your accounts.

#19 JakSmit

JakSmit

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:23 PM

I wasn't pushing it, just didn't understand what she was saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users