• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Qbee

Qbee

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:33 PM

the logo right here: http://www.deviantar...iation/7322652/.. I drew it and stuff but I'd like to get some feedback on how I could make the logo look better.. the lines aren't symmetric right now and more of that stuff..

Maybe there's someone here who's got a great idea bout that? Would be cool! :)

Basically I'd like to know what prog you guys would suggest and the tools in there.. not that much of a ps fan, rather psp coz it's easier :p

#2 jlinds72

jlinds72

Administrator/ Designer

• Designer
  • 1461 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:11 PM

Hi QBee -

Here's my suggestions...

First of all, i'd work on the dolphin more, the shape needs a little tweeking for it to resemble a dolphin more. The lines around it obscure it too much - i'd either change them to a different color (probably blue...) or make them less prominent so they don't detract from the dolphin as much. As far as programs, I would think that Illustrator would be the best so that it's a vector file, but that's up to you.

Good luck :)
~Jenn
Jenn Lindsey - Freelance Graphic Designer
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" - Joseph Chilton Pearce

My website: jennlindsey.com

Please review the new rules for DesignContest.net here

#3 browncat

browncat

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:16 PM

Illustrator could easily make smoother curved lines. Design looks too busy--would be better to simplify it. Dolphin looks too skinny.
browncat.cityclicker.net

BROWN CAT DESIGN

#4 bigyou

bigyou

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:21 AM

As both previous messages stated, you may want to use Illustrator or even Freehand to get the results you are looking for. If you don't have access to those software, you may want to try with Flash, which was not intented for this kind of work but it can do the job.

For your logo, I think you need to simplify. Less is more. The dolphin is hard to recognize, it takes too much time. But the overall shape is a good start. Try working on it a bit. As far as the lines around it are concerned, I don't think they add anything. You may want to try to rotate the dolphin to see if it fits better horizontaly or vertically. Try putting it into some shapes to see how it looks. And the most important thing, have a try at different typos. Try a lot before you choose one !

Good luck !

#5 Qbee

Qbee

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll give illustrator a try then.. tho the interface looks alot like ps's interface.. which I right away associate wiht complexity :p

#6 exogen

exogen

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 04:07 AM

I too am a PSP user. I find it much better for quick jobs & pixel pushing. The logo can be easily cleaned up using only Paint Shop Pro. Use the line tool and make all of those bezier curves. While Illustrator is definitely a first choice for vector drawing, it's not required. You can preserve the shape as a vector in PSP.

#7 Qbee

Qbee

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:07 PM

So today I finally downloaded the illustrator trial, messed around with it and this is what I made of the logo now :) I must say that I really like the way illustrator makes them curves amazingly smooth! not gonna ditch that proggie yet!

Posted Image

thanks for all your input by the way! :)

#8 Shyflower

Shyflower

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:29 PM

So today I finally downloaded the illustrator trial, messed around with it and this is what I made of the logo now :) I must say that I really like the way illustrator makes them curves amazingly smooth! not gonna ditch that proggie yet!

The reason that illustrator smooths out the lines is because it does things in vector art, which is geometric, rather than raster, which is done in pixels.
I use a vector art program XARA X1 (http://xara.com). It probably doesn't have all the frills of illustrator, but it does a good job, has a very user friendly interface with excellent "help" and is a whole lot cheaper than Adobe products.

Xara was originally designed for Corel (CorelXara) and has just recently gone off on its own.

They also have a fully function free trial.

#9 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:19 AM

yeah the new version is much better than the other, the power of illustrator
www.uiom.com.au
simple and effective design solutions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users