• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#41 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

I have never used a tablet. Is it hard to hold the pen?

I do all my illustrations with the laser mouse, I don't have to hold a pen that way, It would be very hard for me to hold the pen for as many hrs as I use a mouse. My hands are getting more crippled so holding things like that wouldn't work, I would be afraid but everyone says I don't know what I'm missing. I do know I miss my traditional drawing..I draw and paint sometimes for for a limited amount of time.

This new mouse I have takes little pressure and is very precise and my hand just rests right on it.

Maybe I can rig something up to hold the tablet pen?

I bought a used wacom 6 x 8 intuos 4 years ago and it still works great - I use it exclusively everyday.

I've gone through a few packs of nibs...but that's it.

Like us on facebook

#42 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

I use an older Intuos2 (because I like the pen and I don't really need any of the new tweaks - and it was cheap :) ) The pen is a thicker than a standard pencil, so that helps. I find that I can create MUCH faster - so the time actually spent applying pressure would probably be less.

You CAN adjust the sensitivity to the point where you only need to barely touch the tablet...so that could be an easy solution. I used to have pain in my elbow after a long day using the mouse, but it went away after switching to the tablet.

I get an occasional sore hand, but only when I've been pressing hard (which I tend to do anyway)

A tablet takes a little getting used to - but now if I have to use a mouse (my wife's computer) it's like working in slow motion.

I have never used a tablet. Is it hard to hold the pen?

I do all my illustrations with the laser mouse, I don't have to hold a pen that way, It would be very hard for me to hold the pen for as many hrs as I use a mouse. My hands are getting more crippled so holding things like that wouldn't work, I would be afraid but everyone says I don't know what I'm missing. I do know I miss my traditional drawing..I draw and paint sometimes for for a limited amount of time.

This new mouse I have takes little pressure and is very precise and my hand just rests right on it.

Maybe I can rig something up to hold the tablet pen?

#43 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:17 AM

Maybe, I have been so reluctant to try a tablet, money is always a big issue with this type of change but using the pen/pencil for that long is what stops me, I do miss drawing though. I used to draw all the time. I was looking at some of my old drawing the other draw and it made me realize how much I miss my traditional art. I have read a lot about how using the tablet is like traditional drawing with pressure and all.

Like us on facebook

#44 cly

cly

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:24 AM

I agree with Sharie - tablets are expensive which is why I don't have one. However, I did try one out once. In my experience, I do find that it's convenient when you are in a rush to draw storyboards in Illustrator, the pen glides pretty smoothly on the tablet but it felt kind of weird to use (probably something that needs to get used to). However, if you're used to using a laser mouse, then that's good. Pen tools are pretty nifty, so I don't bother thinking about buying a tablet.

#45 contracept

contracept

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:12 AM

i lay at night gazing at the ceiling, pining for a cintiq

#46 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

I have a tablet pc and I have to say I actually use the touchpad more than using the tablet screen to design with.

#47 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

Is that like those touch screens? I have seen those new monitors that you cab draw on with your fingers. I wonder though how it works with illustrator

I have a tablet pc and I have to say I actually use the touchpad more than using the tablet screen to design with.

Like us on facebook

#48 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

Nah mine is 5 years old still work great but is just a tablet screen with wacom pen and driver so work as good as any wacom tablets. Only no touchscreen which I do wish to have. Touchscreen is great but not for vector drawing cause your finger mostly be in the way of what you want to see same goes for tablet pen. Only great thing about it is you can go into the menu faster and choose things easier.

I actually if I get a iMac I would consider getting the touchpad or Wacom Bamboo touch.

Other than that would consider getting a programmable hot keys keyboard especially pasting all kinds of icons on it so you can choose between the tools faster than clicking tools on the shortcut bar or trying to remember all kinds of hot keys.

#49 SMILEforDope

SMILEforDope

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:46 PM

Couple weeks ago I got a Wacom Bamboo Pen. It's pretty decent, but even harder for me since I'm left handed.

#50 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:07 AM

I have never considered what a tablet would be like for a left handed person. Do they make left handed pens?

Like us on facebook

#51 SMILEforDope

SMILEforDope

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

You only have to rotate the pad 180 for either left or right handed people. It's only harder for me because I'm not use to typing keyboard shortcuts with my right hand. And plus my left arm gets in the way sometimes.

#52 defocus

defocus

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

I think is only one graphic tablet to use, it is WACOM!

#53 suke

suke

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

I'm newbie.. so I bought wacom bamboo pen :)
It's easy than draw manual using pencil, because I'd have much time

#54 Kooia

Kooia

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

I've always considered getting a tablet, but I never realized how much people liked them - I mean it's obvious that it's easier than tracing things with a mouse, but I thought there'd be some complaints in this thread. Maybe I'll start considering getting a drawing tablet more seriously. But does anyone know whether that kind of thing would work on Linux - without drivers? On Inkscape or Xara Xtreme... does anyone have linux and a drawing tablet?

#55 GBravo1207

GBravo1207

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

I have never considered what a tablet would be like for a left handed person. Do they make left handed pens?

You don't need to look for a tablet for a left handed person. They're universal. Go ahead and get one. You'll have a blast figuring out how to use it.

#56 Xyther

Xyther

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:26 AM

Wacom Bamboo would be best & very affordable ^_^

#57 marlonaire

marlonaire

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

any comments about wacom bamboo?

#58 Hadeelsa

Hadeelsa

Banned

• Banned
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

I have a genius tablet and I love it, it fell like a thousand times, had liquids poured o it, my pen is wrapped with black tape and I wouldn't replace it for a million mouses, i forgot how the mouse look like, I use my pen even on non design like facebook, my email, games, anything :)

#59 cpuccio

cpuccio

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:28 AM

I used the Wacom Intous4 Medium tablet and I think it's a great tool for a designer and its also reasonably priced. However, I still prefer to sketch the drawing and scan it before I put the pen tablet to work.

#60 uyoxsoul

uyoxsoul

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

I use mouse too ;p
but i plan to buy a tablet too if possible :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drawing, mouse, tablet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users