• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 shomalgan

shomalgan

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Is the new logo the one with the half heart shape? i'm new here so I don't know if what's old and what's new

Me too !

• Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

Me too !

oh, I thought I have answered that - the new one is half heart.

#23 mecotterill

mecotterill

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:50 PM

Hmmm. I got the e-mail about the new site and came over to take a look, I actually signed up here in September but kind of forgot about the site! I was sort of hoping to sign up to enter the competitions but got put off by all the rigmarole of joining!

Anyway, I think for a Design Competition web-site I would expect a front page that blew me away. This new design does not blow me away. If there are loads of graphic designers here then why doesn't the site reflect that - there's virtually no graphics or images anywhere. It's all too texty and generic looking.

I like the banner and the 'latest forum threads' part but honestly I think you've got a long way to go if you want any prospective clients to be impressed.

As for the Logo, well I don't get it at all. What's it supposed to be? The name of the site is Design Contest right? The Logo doesn't have 'D' or 'C' in it does it, or if it does I'm missing it. Was a competition held to design and choose this logo?

• Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

mecotterill, you are right, there is still a long way before we can be proud of the front page, but still it is a flexible base ready for updates. If you have specific suggestions, please, share. If you have time you can make propositions for specific areas of the design.

As for the logo, there was no competition I did it myself. Well the blue shape is supposed to be "D" and the white "C". I get all kinds of response to the logo, some people like it, some people don't. So I suppose it is a matter of taste (since I've had very positive comments about it).

#25 mecotterill

mecotterill

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

Okay, I will try to be a little more constructive. Whenever I undertake a project I always do as much research as I can and in this case I suppose I would look at a lot of other web-sites, both competitors to this one and other types of site.

Then I would look at the ones I liked and figure out what it was I liked about them before going on to do any designs of my own. I'm not a web-site designer myself, but I know what I like. I will try to find some sites I like and post up links to them.

Re. the Logo - ah yes now you've explained it I see the 'd' and the 'c', however, they are so well disguised that I didn't get it. For one thing the 'D' has no middle which sort of makes it hard to identify, while the 'C' has different length upper and lower curves and it's on its side. Also they are vastly different sizes and the wrong way round, the 'c' is bigger and to the left of the 'd'.

Well, I hope you don't think I'm being too harsh, but I'm sure you'd rather have good honest criticism than silence. I suppose that Design is a passion for all of us here so this site is the best place to come to improve one's skills eh?

• Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

Okay, I will try to be a little more constructive. Whenever I undertake a project I always do as much research as I can and in this case I suppose I would look at a lot of other web-sites, both competitors to this one and other types of site.

Then I would look at the ones I liked and figure out what it was I liked about them before going on to do any designs of my own. I'm not a web-site designer myself, but I know what I like. I will try to find some sites I like and post up links to them.

Re. the Logo - ah yes now you've explained it I see the 'd' and the 'c', however, they are so well disguised that I didn't get it. For one thing the 'D' has no middle which sort of makes it hard to identify, while the 'C' has different length upper and lower curves and it's on its side. Also they are vastly different sizes and the wrong way round, the 'c' is bigger and to the left of the 'd'.

Well, I hope you don't think I'm being too harsh, but I'm sure you'd rather have good honest criticism than silence. I suppose that Design is a passion for all of us here so this site is the best place to come to improve one's skills eh?

No, I don't think you are being harsh. On the contrary, I appreciate you being so honest.
As for the first part of your message I should say it is not too constructive. You are writing on how you find inspiration and how you organize your work. We all have different methods, but the questions is: what specifically would you change on the front page would you change? and most important how you'd make those specific things better?

#27 ideamaker

ideamaker

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:26 PM

Why dont you hold a competition to design a new logo for DC in community contest forum? also you can keep voting for those entries...you will get a very good option...what you say? let participate registered users too:p
- IDEAMAKER -

#28 mecotterill

mecotterill

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

Hey, good idea - I would submit an entry.

• Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

Why dont you hold a competition to design a new logo for DC in community contest forum? also you can keep voting for those entries...you will get a very good option...what you say? let participate registered users too:p

no, I feel it is my privilege as the site's owner to design it's logo :)

And come on if you have some creativity that you'd like to show off you can try your hand at DC t-shirt design ;)

#30 ideamaker

ideamaker

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:41 AM

no, I feel it is my privilege as the site's owner to design it's logo :)

And come on if you have some creativity that you'd like to show off you can try your hand at DC t-shirt design ;)

hehe :)

sure! will participate in tee design...
- IDEAMAKER -

#31 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

The logo is fine, in fact it is very playable.
"Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

#32 kpaug1

kpaug1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:47 AM

Hi,

I am a newbie in your site. And you know from the very first visit to your started loving it. It is a nice topic. The paintings are good. Thanks!

Kvi
-----

FTP Program

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users