• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

This is a t-shirt design im working on (for myself) What do you all think? Is it amateur? Or what? And what do you think of the concept

#2 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

I like the overall feel and the thorn "crown" I really like. but it feels busy.
try taking out some of the red and white glow from the background or grundge it up alot to where it's almost non excistant but just enough there to leave the cross image subtle but still visable (?). or make the back ground a dark gray?
Get the hearts, skull, love to match the roses and use a light gray color instead of the white, the reds could be darker. take the hand out it just doesn't seem to belong there?.
I'd leave the crown, cross and text as they are.
nice work

#3 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

I like the overall feel and the thorn "crown" I really like. but it feels busy.
try taking out some of the red and white glow from the background or grundge it up alot to where it's almost non excistant but just enough there to leave the cross image subtle but still visable (?). or make the back ground a dark gray?
Get the hearts, skull, love to match the roses and use a light gray color instead of the white, the reds could be darker. take the hand out it just doesn't seem to belong there?.
I'd leave the crown, cross and text as they are.
nice work

thanks hmmm not sure what you mean by the skill love to match the roses? .... and uh well when its printed on the t-shirt the shirt is going to be black so i dont plan on having a dark grey background.. As for the grunge grunge the background up a lot so the cross is subtle? that doens make sence to me unless i use black .... but i want the cross to be plain as day so i dont want it subtle! any other thoughts? about evening out the background? and hmmm the hand is kinda abstract but to me it represents childhood cause it is a kids hand so and the heart in the middle again love so ya... i kinda like it even though its not matching ot much but i agree it doesn look like it fits I actually want it mroe busy then it is i want lots of little things in the background... there is away to make things really busy and still look AWESOME lol i jsut dont know how to do it! lol

#4 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

Well since it's a shirt for you the meanings of things I was unaware of. An the only person that needs to like it is you. ;)

What other things would you like to have in there. Think of all of them. If you wanna have it be busy. Then I think start on the back ground just placing all the little things you want in it that means something to you. try and keep it to one or two shades of colors, since your using a black sirth go with a gray for the background with a few shades lighter on some of the more specific things you want to "stand out" like the hand and heart etc.

After you have the back ground place the few elements that mean the most. the cross,crown and text.

just an idea. :D

#5 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

Well since it's a shirt for you the meanings of things I was unaware of. An the only person that needs to like it is you. ;)

What other things would you like to have in there. Think of all of them. If you wanna have it be busy. Then I think start on the back ground just placing all the little things you want in it that means something to you. try and keep it to one or two shades of colors, since your using a black sirth go with a gray for the background with a few shades lighter on some of the more specific things you want to "stand out" like the hand and heart etc.

After you have the back ground place the few elements that mean the most. the cross,crown and text.

just an idea. :D

well yes its originaly for me i will have the first one lol but its a possibility i can sell it and will sell it too lol so uh i want it to be so other people like it too And thanks for all your help and ya i cant think of other things that i want thats the problem some kinda grunge deathly stuff or negative but then i want some oh HMM i ahve to think about it lol thanks though but did you mean turn the skull a light grey and then make love heart thing white? and the hearts over there on the left side white?

#6 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

but did you mean turn the skull a light grey and then make love heart thing white? and the hearts over there on the left side white?

see how the roses look kinda distressed. have them match that look. it's not really distressed just a bit. personally I'd make the white items grey and the red items a dark red/marroon. it'll make your text, cross and crown pop.

#7 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:55 PM

see how the roses look kinda distressed. have them match that look. it's not really distressed just a bit. personally I'd make the white items grey and the red items a dark red/marroon. it'll make your text, cross and crown pop.

mm hmm ok lets see thanks ima work on it some more....

#8 Stacia90

Stacia90

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

I like the overall idea and I think the text really works. I don't feel like the hearts on the left really work with the design and the blur of the background splatters actually kind of hurt my eyes and take away from the cross and the rest of the design, maybe if they were taken out...

#9 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

I like the overall idea and I think the text really works. I don't feel like the hearts on the left really work with the design and the blur of the background splatters actually kind of hurt my eyes and take away from the cross and the rest of the design, maybe if they were taken out...

hmmmm maybe if i sharpened them made them harsher? cause i like it....

#10 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

hmmmm maybe if i sharpened them made them harsher? cause i like it....

Hows this? Oh and i decided not to do a crazy background the style im thinking would take too long any would be probably TO much for this already busy peice so i added a couple things and uh changed some color what you all think now? oh and i also sharpened the blured whatever you call it lol... (I think the grey is a little to un noticable like its hard to see the skul and the ghost thing over there under love and the dancers i ahve to re position them or make them smaller or something cause they are too eye catching according to my friend but other then that what you all say?)

#11 .:FMD

.:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

i think you need to figure out what you want to be the focal point or hierarchy of your design. Is it the Cross? Is it the thorns? Is it the cross with the thorns? Is it the type?

Then make sure it is balanced and "feels" the way you want it to. I feel right now the cross, crown, and the type are fighting against each other.

Like coy said, This is your design do what you want to it.

#12 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

_joy do you have a tshirt templet? if not you can download one just google it or I can email one to you in a pdf. It might help us and you to see what it'd look like placed on a shirt.

If you want the 'live today as it was your last' statement would be really utilized as opposite side text. like you have the image on the front and the text on the back. ?

I agree with fmd the balance just isn't there. I think you could make this look outstanding by taking a couple steps back.
start fresh with the first layer..
from what it looks sounds like is that you want to show life and death in many images.
do all these little things first (dancers, hearts ect.) spread it out over the entire shirt, even wrapping it around (if your shirt printer can do so)
second layer show what is more meaningful to you in a different shade to offset the first layer.
then close it with the cross, crown and Tomorrow is too late. I'd also darken the crown a few shades so that the text pops away from it some.
I might even find a bible verse to reference to in small text under the word late or even under the "'live today" line.

#13 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

i think you need to figure out what you want to be the focal point or hierarchy of your design. Is it the Cross? Is it the thorns? Is it the cross with the thorns? Is it the type?

Then make sure it is balanced and "feels" the way you want it to. I feel right now the cross, crown, and the type are fighting against each other.

Like coy said, This is your design do what you want to it.

i have to agree with you they are fighting each other but i kinda want the 3 together to be the main thing i am going to add a glow to make everything else fade back

#14 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

on a shirt..

Posted Image

#15 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

AHHHH thats so cool! lol any way uh one like i said im not done 2 the uh text at the top is going to be further up and over to one side not sure wich yet but ya thanks for the visual!

Edited by TheDreamer_EJoy, 14 May 2009 - 06:18 PM.

#16 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

I don't know - I feel like the message/focus is a little unclear. The additional "live every day..." seems to contradict the "tomorrow is too late" text, when coupled with the cross & other religious imagery.

I also don
t really get the two people dancing and the whimsical hearts with the photorealistic roses/chains/cross. It's just too many different styles. Feels more like an explosion of stock art/photos that a single cohesive piece. The background is rather distracting, too. Maybe you could drop the couple dancing (and make the heart match the roses/chains stylistically) and then lower the brightness of the background - either using color or opacity. I realize you ARE using the background to make the cross out of negative space - but right now it almost hurts my eyes to look at. It could be the blur on it.

Do you know how you're printing it? I'd say you'd almost have to go DTG printing - the blurring would be REALLY hard to reproduce by screen.

#17 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

I don't know - I feel like the message/focus is a little unclear. The additional "live every day..." seems to contradict the "tomorrow is too late" text, when coupled with the cross & other religious imagery.

I also don
t really get the two people dancing and the whimsical hearts with the photorealistic roses/chains/cross. It's just too many different styles. Feels more like an explosion of stock art/photos that a single cohesive piece. The background is rather distracting, too. Maybe you could drop the couple dancing (and make the heart match the roses/chains stylistically) and then lower the brightness of the background - either using color or opacity. I realize you ARE using the background to make the cross out of negative space - but right now it almost hurts my eyes to look at. It could be the blur on it.

Do you know how you're printing it? I'd say you'd almost have to go DTG printing - the blurring would be REALLY hard to reproduce by screen.

hmmmmmmm.... well thats discoraging.... true though.... i can see how things are styled differently..... ug now i dont know what to do

#18 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

hmmmmmmm.... well thats discoraging.... true though.... i can see how things are styled differently..... ug now i dont know what to do

aw - don't be discouraged. Those are easy fixes. Overall it's nice.

#19 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

oh and i didnt say live every day i said live TODAY

#20 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts