• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

So our fellow designer Coy decided to help me out and give me an assignment to practice here it is and then the draft...

With that said - here is something to give you a place for use to start and evaluate your steps to creat a solution.

Let's try this out.
I want you to design a logo for me. Coy Designs
I like simple, yet abstract looks. Something that flows nicely.
I don't want a type logo, I want an Icon or symbol and a strong font something up-to-date.
I have a tendency to be drawn to dark-ish earth tone colors like red's, blue's and teals. But feel free to use whatever color you'd like.

You can use a simple C or CD combo or even come up with a unique image that would Identify me as a designer.

I would like to choose from 4-6 ruff drafts before you start anything in a vector based format.

So this is the drafts Mr Coy! lol Ideas thoughts folks!?

Edited by TheDreamer_EJoy, 16 July 2009 - 08:37 PM.

#2 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:44 PM

Not a bad start but I'd say they are off the mark right now.
Out of these five I'm drawn to the top middle and the lower left one. The flower is just WAY off. the top middle one reads more like DC then CD though.. The bottom left one is too spread apart.

Here is a link to some of my work Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket maybe you can get some insperation perhaps that will gear you toward a look I'd be after..??
Make some doodles on paper and see what looks good to you and/or what might flow well with what I do or if you think I have a certain look to my designs. Then take your top three or four get them on the computer.

remember not to take any critisisume's to heart, just think of it as a learning tool. That's how I see it as it'll only make me/you/anyone a better designer.
The client has an idea to what they like and just might not know it till they see it. Read through some of the current contests hear and you'll see replies that may sound harsh but really arent, cause the client wants something that hasn't been done yet. You could get close or be way off and in some instances hit the mark on the first shot out of the box, but it's rare IMO. ;)

Edited by Coy, 16 July 2009 - 08:48 PM.

#3 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

Yup I understand! I tried to bring the uh bottom left one together more already i got to squish it togther more i guess.. And i though that to about the middle top one. I just dont know how i could do that same style but reverse the letters! The flower was just a thought but i can see it totally isnt you style! I kinda like the bottom right one! actually but i wil do more doodling! I have like a huge page of doodles! lol Thanks!

#4 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

Hmmm. I didn't see the bottom right one the first time around???

That'd probably be my favorite one out of the six so far.

#5 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

Hmmm. I didn't see the bottom right one the first time around???

That'd probably be my favorite one out of the six so far.

oh goody! lol ya it was cause i added it last min

#6 ACDesigns

ACDesigns

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:53 AM

oh goody! lol ya it was cause i added it last min

Hey you two! This is sort of an awesome assignment, and I wish someone else on the site would PM me and give me a muscle-flexer like this one.

That being said, when I read "Coy Designs" there are several images that come to mind. First off is the play on the emotion of "being coy." then there is the idea of coy fish. I think there might be some opportunity for laying out some intersting typographic something that is a fish and the letters. Too complicated?

#7 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

Hey you two! This is sort of an awesome assignment, and I wish someone else on the site would PM me and give me a muscle-flexer like this one.

it's possible. Just ask I'm sure anyone here wouldn't mind helping out.

That being said, when I read "Coy Designs" there are several images that come to mind. First off is the play on the emotion of "being coy." then there is the idea of coy fish. I think there might be some opportunity for laying out some intersting typographic something that is a fish and the letters. Too complicated?

This is the kind of thing or one of the ideas that TotalJoy would want to concider and brings up a great point to make.
Sometimes a company has a unique name that could have several meanings or even different meanings in other lanquages and would be great to look into those avenues. The company might not even know what some of those meanings are and think it's a cleaver idea, ultimately landing you that job. ;)
I've made a couple just by looking up the meaning of a word. that meaning gave me ideas on what to creat.

I tried to leave the topic open for creativity.

#8 theredpea

theredpea

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:47 AM

I like that names can be interpreted different ways. "Coy Design" is not just mysterious, it is wordplay.

As for the challenge, I would recommend some bolder shapes rather than calligraphic strokes. Try experimenting with different literal icons/images, maybe a Koi fish? Just a thought!

#9 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

I like that names can be interpreted different ways. "Coy Design" is not just mysterious, it is wordplay.

agree

As for the challenge, I would recommend some bolder shapes rather than calligraphic strokes. Try experimenting with different literal icons/images, maybe a Koi fish? Just a thought!

ACDesigns also suggested playing off the Koi(coy) fish.

total joy said she'd be away for a week or two but will be working on ideas to post up.

#10 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

Yup Thanks for the thoughts guys! I am back now! So this week maybe starting Sunday I will start working on it again!

#11 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

Will there be any more of this type of assignment? I would love to work on some assignments between clients and all. Anything to learn more and get feed back!

Sharie

Like us on facebook

• Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

Coy, you should moderate a community contest, that way you could give an assignment and provide feedback to all members of DC at the same time!

#13 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Coy, you should moderate a community contest, that way you could give an assignment and provide feedback to all members of DC at the same time!

I could do that. I'll think of an assignment of sorts kinda like a real world experiance. I'll send you a pm about it. ;)

#14 AlottaDots

AlottaDots

• Designer
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:40 AM

To think of a koi fish would be the first impulse. And while i am not into going for the obvious most of the time, i think it is a good idea. It is a beautiful colored fish and their colors and markings are an art in itself. I think the head and body forming a 'C' while the tail swirls around to make the d would look pretty cool. But maybe not the look?

#15 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

To think of a koi fish would be the first impulse. And while i am not into going for the obvious most of the time, i think it is a good idea. It is a beautiful colored fish and their colors and markings are an art in itself. I think the head and body forming a 'C' while the tail swirls around to make the d would look pretty cool. But maybe not the look?

i though of something like that too

#16 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

Does any one have any tips on "sketching" in Illustrator!?!?! I am having a hard time knowing where to start on drawing a Koi.. Or should i draw it in adobe and then is there a way to convert it to a vector... OR are you all going to make me draw it on paper and then trace it in ilustator? lol

#17 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:03 PM

Does any one have any tips on "sketching" in Illustrator!?!?! I am having a hard time knowing where to start on drawing a Koi.. Or should i draw it in adobe and then is there a way to convert it to a vector... OR are you all going to make me draw it on paper and then trace it in ilustator? lol

Do you have a tablet? You should be able to draw it with that. If not I'd suggest drawing it on paper then redraw it. Unless you take your drawing outline it in a thin dark ink for good lines then you can use the live trace and it'll do an OK job at tracing it for you. I've found the best result Is just redrawing it on another layer following the orig. sketch. hope that helps.

#18 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

Hi Coy.....So working up some koi fish is the current assignment?

Sharie

Like us on facebook

#19 AlottaDots

AlottaDots

• Designer
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

I had a tablet once but it was only a 4x9. I hated it. I like the draw and scan method for now, Then trace with pen tool. im sure if i had a larger tablet i would be happy. But the price tag for them is just silly! Just do what you gotta do to get the job done.

#20 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

Hi Coy.....So working up some koi fish is the current assignment?

Sharie

No. It's just the logo concept still. she was taking some advice and working around a koi fish at the moment. It's no neccessary but an angle she is working with.

I had a tablet once but it was only a 4x9. I hated it. I like the draw and scan method for now, Then trace with pen tool. im sure if i had a larger tablet i would be happy. But the price tag for them is just silly! Just do what you gotta do to get the job done.

agree. mine is small also and I really don't use it that much since I don't have it at work and don't get to do much at home and when I do it's a quick this or that. But I love it still.

most of my home stuff is concept work, doodles and CAD type stuff.

Edited by Coy, 06 August 2009 - 06:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users