Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Nico's entry in Pumpkin Contest is eliminated

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:23 PM

yes, you should not register other usernames just to vote for yourself. This is what's going to happen. So think twice if you want to cheat.

Besides, as we've mentioned before, it will not be a plus when your Elite Team application is reviewed.

#2 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:47 AM

just goes to show that there are conciquinces(sp) to this sort of thing.

In the past we've kept it pretty much out of the publics view for those that are caught "cheating" in this way. And think showing publicly will deture others from doing it in the future.

sad thing is; it is possible that he could have been in the top two but we'll never know for real I guess.

#3 Nico

Nico

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

is there a regulation or something? because i can't find anything about votes deciding who wins. I thought the poll was just for orientation, and that the contest holder decides who should win.
And still don't get it, if anyone gets a bunch of friends to sign up and vote their entry, how do you decide if that's cheating or not?

#4 Nico

Nico

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:56 AM

i guess this user KristinM that just joined on 11.03.2009, and voted for the pumpkin contest isn't cheating

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:03 PM

i guess this user KristinM that just joined on 11.03.2009, and voted for the pumpkin contest isn't cheating

I am going to go into details now and explain you how our security system works, but let me just tell you that I know for sure that "this user..." (who is not KristinM btw) and you are using the same computer.

As fot the regulations, it is strictly forbidden to register multiple usernames on DC. Normally it is followed by a ban. But I think you are a talanted illustrator and this was just a mistake on your part and that you are able to learn.

#6 Nico

Nico

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

i'm sorry but you misunderstood completely, i have no connection with that user, i was pointing out to you that that user is cheating two, if you say that i m cheating. The user that voted for me is Alinuta, and She is a person i know...that signed up from another computer...
AGAIN!, where in any regulation is it written that this is against the rules, like...anyone can call a friend and ask him/her to sign up and vote, and i'm sure that is what KristinM did too, how come my situation is cheating?

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

AGAIN!, where in any regulation is it written that this is against the rules, like...anyone can call a friend and ask him/her to sign up and vote

this is just common sense. It doesn't have to be written down to see that it is cheating. We are not going to ban you for asking your friends to vote for you, but when they sign in on your computer, this is just too much.

#8 Nico

Nico

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

this is nonsense,
you're telling me that if someone asks 50 friends to sign up and vote, but none of those friends logg in from the same computer, it's ok, but if one friend loggs from the same computer, it's cheating.
the winner should be decided by the contest holder in my opinion, ( that's how i thought this thing works )

#9 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

Nico if the CH is to chooses to win in this contest then Sharie, Resurepus and I would be choosing all the winners. I think it is better if the COMMUNITY chooses by the voting system and makes the site that much better. And why would DC go through all the coding to add a voting system to the (basically) free Community contests? that'd be a waist of time and resources.
The community contests are designed so that everyone can have fun and make designs without the stress of the allmighty dollar and so that everyone can participate in a FUN way. When you derive from the community and ask your friends to sign up and vote just so you can win a T shirt. then you are taking the DC community and the FUN out of it.

I can understand asking your friends to vote for something you did that might be a great prize like a WII or $500 or a trip to whereever. but for a FUN COMMUNITY contest with a prize that is around $20 is just sad in my opinoin. This also shows that someone is a little insecure in what they do and needs an ego boost.

But in my opinion taking the community out of these contests is just a shame. I'd rather be juged by my piers and loose than ask my friends to make me feel good for a T shirt..

#10 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

OH is KristinM one of your friends?

#11 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

Nico,

The program here at DC is set to track any and all double personalities. The reason for that is to stop any and all members that cheat. Cheating can happen not only from being able to vote on a certain entry but also if the one person has two names they can enter more than the 3 designs that allowed. It is the only way to stop such activities.

I know of a huge website (that many from here belong to) that put a ban on aol.com emails for this reason and other reason also.

The no double personality rule is one way to stop the cheaters. Have you ever seen or ordered or buy something and is told only one from that household? This is really no different.

If you want your friends to vote go ahead, there is nothing wrong with that at all. They just have to be from a different computer/household.

The community contests let the designers vote and the Elite Designer/paid contests is where the contest holder chooses the design that they are paying for. In the community contests allowing the designers to vote also helps them when it comes to designing, you start learning to really look at the other designs ask yourself what it is you like/dislike.

I hope this helps a little. You are a wonderful artisit and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Sharie

Like us on facebook

#12 Nico

Nico

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:32 PM

no,i have no idea who KristinM is, i was pointing out that this user also signed up just to vote, it shows on the profile that the user was created on 11.03
i don't care about the tshirt, i just wanted to say that all this doesn't make much sense,
that is all,
let's stop this, i've nothing against DC, it's a great contest site, and i will continue to post

a good day, and have fun designing and drawing

#13 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

no,i have no idea who KristinM is, i was pointing out that this user also signed up just to vote, it shows on the profile that the user was created on 11.03

But we didn't see her loged in as another person.

i don't care about the tshirt, i just wanted to say that all this doesn't make much sense,
that is all,

If you need a better explanation then PM me and I'll take the time to explain anything (to anyone) to the best of my abilities that may not have been covered here. And if it needs to be posted so others can understand then we should continue it here.. ;)

let's stop this, i've nothing against DC, it's a great contest site, and i will continue to post

a good day, and have fun designing and drawing

Great attitude.
DC has nothing agains you. Just as Sergey and Sharie have said you have good skills and would be nice to have you around.

#14 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

I have replied pm to you Nico as well as the post I made here. I hope you understand now what and why this has happened

sharie

Like us on facebook

#15 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi Nico,

Your works are great! And the DC peeps definitely attest to that :)

Now -- the point of resperus, Coy and Sharie is simple ... they are trying to keep the "honesty-policy" implemented on this community ... and that means ... an equal vote response based on voters choice and judgement.

Inviting friends to register and vote for a "self work" is (i think) just okay ... but the point is ... having them log into the same machine ... is really not tolerable.

>>> A good example is an online MMORPG game ... players can download the game client, install in their machine - now ... even these MMORPG games (even the ones that are free) have RESTRICTIONS on how many gameClients are allowed to run in ONE machine .... the same logic applies to what the DC Founder, Admins, Mods are trying to implement in this community.

>>> They are trying to "preserve" a community where designers would feel INSPIRED to share their works and be challenged into contest - with the thought that "vote-judgement" is not "BIAS" in any form ...

>>> Imagine ... if the Founder, Admins, Mods would tolerate such "single-machine-multipleLogins" for vote counts ... wont that KILL the motivation of other designers ... (since most artist tend to be seclusive) ...

Sooooooooo basically ... lets try to help this community (DC) -- to help US .... because ... at the end of the day ... its a 2-way relationship ... that is why WE joined right !!! -- so lets keep this community INVITING to potential newbies !!!

now lets keep on rockn' :cool:
:D
--
the best is yet to come ~

#16 jiaix

jiaix

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

duh ... let's poke it a little more. That 'double personality' cheker is probably just the 'last-connected IP (your computer or router)' line in the user to server communication. And if it finds two of the same it starts singing doom. And if you're in some public space (classmates from an art school cheking the DC out aswell) or let you're friends use your PC ... well, you're screwed
Which means one can break the system by using obfuscated IP's and online rerouters

Let's link user accounts to their verified paypal accounts (i think elite team is pretty much obliged to do this anyway and all the payments go through paypal anyway too)

And if you find 50 friends to vote for you ... just please don't, it will be the end of open contests alltogether (check infectious.com for instance - bloody rancid environment based on 'love-factor', certain people (even in groups) just go and give positive comments to everyone while at the same time not giving positive votes to people (outside of their ring))

a preemptive cure would be named voting ;) helps building constructive criticism aswell

/end rant

#17 tanu

tanu

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:35 AM

duh ... let's poke it a little more. That 'double personality' cheker is probably just the 'last-connected IP (your computer or router)' line in the user to server communication. And if it finds two of the same it starts singing doom. And if you're in some public space (classmates from an art school cheking the DC out aswell) or let you're friends use your PC ... well, you're screwed
Which means one can break the system by using obfuscated IP's and online rerouters

Let's link user accounts to their verified paypal accounts (i think elite team is pretty much obliged to do this anyway and all the payments go through paypal anyway too)

And if you find 50 friends to vote for you ... just please don't, it will be the end of open contests alltogether (check infectious.com for instance - bloody rancid environment based on 'love-factor', certain people (even in groups) just go and give positive comments to everyone while at the same time not giving positive votes to people (outside of their ring))

a preemptive cure would be named voting ;) helps building constructive criticism aswell

/end rant

I would like to ask,if my comp not working due to some technical reasons, could I use a different one to sign in and do my work , like voting for someone, uploading designs etc

Edited by tanu, 16 May 2010 - 03:36 AM.
grammatical error

#18 ZukiH

ZukiH

Guru

• Designer
  • 1178 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:18 AM

I would like to ask,if my comp not working due to some technical reasons, could I use a different one to sign in and do my work , like voting for someone, uploading designs etc

As far as i know, you can use different IP's for same account. You cant use 2 accounts for the same IP. ;)

#19 yodah

yodah

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:15 AM

As far as i know, you can use different IP's for same account.

I'm pretty sure you can. Otherwise the ones with dynamic IP's would be in trouble ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users