• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 danielaMo

danielaMo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

I lost my job a while back, (clerical work). But have a degree in fine arts & minor in art history(& two years of graphic design related classes). would like to find a job/cereer that deals w/graphic design/animation/art.
But it is damn discouraging out there.
Any one has advice on how to keep your spirits up? I keep feeling like I should just quit, my loved ones say get a real job & you can dabble in art or do it as a hobby...
frankly it is all a tad depressing, wonder how many of my college class who graduate in art went on to do art for a living.

#2 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

I'm in the same boat.

Best thing I could advise is keep at it. Hit up all the design firms in your area and keep checking back with them. Bug the crap out of them till they hire you or tell you to leave them alone.

In the mean time do what you can on sites like this to make some money for your self.

Unfortunatly I don't have the comfort of this since I have kids and they need insurance so I'll be very happy to keep my job and do this on the side. till something comes up that offers good pay and great insurance. :D

#3 danielaMo

danielaMo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

Ha, not sure being on unemployment is the best spot to be. (would be much more horrible w/out it of course) & I do miss the insurance. (got cats no kids though).
Thanks for the reply though, will take any encouragement.
cheers!
D

#4 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

this happened to me several years ago. I grabbed the yellow pages and went down the list calling everyone listed under "Graphic Design", just to introduce myself, ask if they had any open positions, and if not, whether they ever had the need for a freelancer. Then I put together a portfolio (back then it was a book) and drove around, for days, stopping at every print shop, screenprinter, newspaper, sign shop, etc. - basically, anyone that I know uses design services. I made it all the way to the letter "T" in the phone book before someone had some interest, and they ended up giving me a part time job, and I picked up contract work from a few of the places that I visited.

Like Coy said, you have to put yourself out there, be prepared for people to be rude to you, don't take it personally, and make yourself memorable.

That part time job I was offered connected me with my current employer who I've now been with for almost 7 years.

It might be hard right now, in this economy, but hang in there and don't give up! If you have to take a non-design job in the interim, so be it. There will always be a need for designers, and your number will come up eventually. In the meantime, DC is a great place to keep learning, keep improving, and maybe make an extra buck.

Best of luck to you!
:) Brandy

#5 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

i too was unemployed! twice i might add to that! the longest was for almost a year! -- dang that was painful! on my side of the story tho, i needed a job badly! and right now, just as Coy has mentioned - i'm slowly getting myself back within my interest through sites such as this - it does help me - learn, practice, interact and perform as though being in the actual field ...

i say, make use of sites that presents compensated projects, or sites such as this that provide skill development, and gradually build up your portfolio, something you can present to your prospective employer within your graphic/design field.

and yes, just keep on applying, it is tuff - very much - but - gotta start somewhere! join groups, surf the web of projects, keep on sharpening your skills while on search mode. there are some small-medium graphic/design projects you can find in the web that you could participate in or bid for =)

hope this helps! just keep on -

:)
:D
--
the best is yet to come ~

#6 GoldenZ

GoldenZ

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

Dear danielaMo

Actually the World see the design Job as a temporary career (my friends my family). Even My father works in a petroleum business and he wants the best for me as keep pushing me to join this profit career, But I cannot find myself in any other than web designing field. It’s really disappointing when you lose your Job that gives you insurance, although you cannot live the rest of your life in something you have no interest in there will be no creativity at all. C’mon We are spending the most of our life in the Office. Where they become your friends and your family.

So basically you love the design firm, and people around you doesnt support you, looking at this as a non career or future job. But you can do it. Work hard, make clients, be in market that will give you the strength to be online out there to be able to provide a future and fortune for your kids.

Don't give up... we all passed the same situation of yours and because we love that firm we stand. It’s not the end of the world, Fight back :mad:

Good-luck
-Amr

#7 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

Okay - since, we got the ball rolling on this topic, here is a site i stumbled just a few while ago ... =D

it does have a massive list of project-based opportunities -- and one of them lists that of the graphic design/art field =D

Freelancer.com | Online Freelance Jobs | Employment | Design | Outsourcing | Programmers | Web Design | Freelancers

hope this helps out =)
--

#8 danielaMo

danielaMo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

Thank you and Sevehn thanks for that link, I also have been using

I really appreciated the words of advice and the encouragement. (brandy, will grab my phone book) In my situation you tend to feel isolated and to isolate yourself.
Starting to be more proactive, enter contest and make a plan has/will help.

Edited by Coy, 08 February 2010 - 05:39 PM.
No links to other contest sites

#9 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

Daniel I edited your post by deleting the link to competitors site.

Sevehn's link is to a Bid site and not a direct competetor.

#10 danielaMo

danielaMo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

Daniela, :-)
as for the rest, oh ok.

Daniel I edited your post by deleting the link to competitors site.

Sevehn's link is to a Bid site and not a direct competetor.

#11 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:24 PM

Daniela, :-)
as for the rest, oh ok.

:o ooops sorry forgot the a.
I was trying to catch up on all posts from this weekend and was rushing it a bit. ;)

#12 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

oh, i'm sorry guys, if i been posting competitor links ... my bad ... will watchOut for that moving on forwards ....
--

#13 idesignkimberly

idesignkimberly

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

It is tough out there for a lot of designers.

#14 xpressions

xpressions

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

I feel you...but don't give up if this is something you love doing. Try offering some probono services to your local charities or schools to get your name out there. Post up a flyer at your local shops or colleges offering special deals. Take the opportunity at functions to create some fun party favor or invitations....give handmade (or computer generated :) ) gifts with your artwork on it....create your own greeting cards for holidays.... but don't give up. :)

#15 smyth

smyth

• Designer
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:57 PM

I feel you...but don't give up if this is something you love doing. Try offering some probono services to your local charities or schools to get your name out there. Post up a flyer at your local shops or colleges offering special deals. Take the opportunity at functions to create some fun party favor or invitations....give handmade (or computer generated :) ) gifts with your artwork on it....create your own greeting cards for holidays.... but don't give up. :)

Hmmm ... i am acctually thinking that graphics over internet might be a solution quitting the day by day job. Is someone here making money only this way? till now i made only 65$, but 6 month ago i didn't even know the concept of freelancer. I guess the hard part will be crossing the "indian barrier" (they are very many and they bid pretty low )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users