• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 MVA

MVA

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:03 PM

I'm a newbie here...After reading the rules in a couple of different areas, I'm confused and not willing to take a risk. I'm not on the design team. Can I still enter a logo design contest in the low cash/no cash contest area, or not?

Also, it looks like I can't do attachments in my posts. Is that how it's supposed to be, or is something wrong? Does that mean I need to post a link to my design posted elsewhere (assuming I can enter, of course)?

Thanks for your time.

Perry
J. Perry McCutcheon
Freelance Graphic Designer
http://www.perrymc.com

#2 MVA

MVA

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:05 PM

oops! I just noticed that it says I can post attachments and that the IMG code is now on! so, it looks like maybe I can do that?
J. Perry McCutcheon

#3 Loaded

Loaded

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:09 PM

You can enter contests in the low/non-cash area but not the other ones, I'm doing it myself to build a portfolio, although it sorta sucks taking your time to do something for someone else and not get sh*t for it :/

#4 CA_Logos

CA_Logos

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:41 PM

Loaded, you said non cash contests can't be entered, but I guess that is just a typo. I don't like being excluded either, but I'm doing it to build a portfolio as well. I'm glad we can still see the team's submissions for the cash contests.

#5 Loaded

Loaded

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:56 PM

Yeah, damn, that was a typo :p Fixed it now though thanks for pointing it out.

#6 BlazeQ

BlazeQ

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:16 AM

Hey MVA, it looks like you have some nice logos in your gallery. I think you'd be accepted to the design team once you have enough posts and have been here long enough :D I'm waiting the time out myself...

I noticed your Terrgen and Bryce pieces. Ever use Vue?

#7 MVA

MVA

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:43 AM

I've used a demo version of Vue and liked it alot! Thought a little about buying it. I especially like the nice vegetation Vue can do - something Terragen can't do and Bryce isn't good at (IMHO). I've seen some beautiful Vue work in the Renderosity.com galleries...you should check it out if you haven't already.
J. Perry McCutcheon

#8 BlazeQ

BlazeQ

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 03:44 AM

The Renderosity galleries are astounding.... great inspiration material there ;) I agree, Vue is the best for vegetation; Bryce stinks at it. Bryce is a nice package for those starting out though, you can pretty much just load it up and start playing with it ;)

One that I want to try is WorldBuilder. I've heard some great things about that one.

#9 MVA

MVA

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:45 AM

Have you played with MojoWorld? It's a unique little package that takes an interesting approach. Again, my experience is limited to evaluation version. I thought it was cool.

How about posting a link to your Vue stuff?
J. Perry McCutcheon

#10 Extirpate

Extirpate

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:36 PM

I tried vue and got all confused

#11 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:02 AM

My first post here was about 2 years ago when it was still using PHPBB, and that first post was in the Design Contest forum. It was deleted of couse because i did not read the rules first.

Now i'm trying to build up post counts, and i'm compiling some logos to be submitted for screening.

• Guests

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:19 PM

Loaded: You said that it "sorta sucks taking your time to do something for someone else". Well, first of all, let me point out that a portfolio that you are making will help yourself in the first place. If you are planning to take design seriously you will be forced to compile a portfolio sooner or later.

Besides, our community works for both designers and the clients. Many people who host their contests with us will look thoroughly through our previous contests and portfolios of our team members to see what kind of design level they can expect before actually posting their contests.

And after all, we are trying to maintain a friendly and professional atmosphere here. Keeping things in order never hurts. Try to imagine what a mess would it be if all the messages in this forum were just packed in one folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users