&nsbp;

#1 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

Hey Guys!
The CH from the FairView Gardens logo contest asked me to design a billboard for him... here's my first draft... I can already tell that the bullet points are too small, and I need to fix those. I also think that the "polaroid" pics need something, but I don't want to make it too wordy...

DC members always have great ideas, so tell me what you think! (Thanks!!)

Edited by brandyarnold, 29 April 2010 - 02:23 PM.

:) Brandy

#2 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:47 AM

BTW- the billboard is 24' wide, 12' tall (a big one!!)

#3 not2shabby

not2shabby

• Designer
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:52 AM

What a thrill it must be to see your work in such huge proportions! I like the composition:)

#4 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

Hello Brandy,
It's nice to hear your design is going to be shown "in big" :)
Congrats!

As you said, the polaroids might be a little more realistic ... some shades or something perhaps

And there is something in that dark background that I don't like very much ... some green (fresh-grass garden green) maybe.

So ... What about showing more happyness-like colors or clear ones ... (that'd enphatize the "clearly homes" concept)

just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Regards,

Edited by jjyepez, 25 April 2010 - 01:02 AM.

#5 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:00 AM

And there is something in that dark background that I don't like very much.
So ... ehat about show more happyness-like colors or clear ones ...

I agree. The client wanted a black background, and I went with a sunset image to try and add visual interest, but you're right... there's something bot quite right about it...

#6 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:04 AM

What about some images like these .. ? .... darker but not yet black
http://espanol.istoc...ntal-garden.php
http://espanol.istoc...d-butterfly.php
http://espanol.istoc...th-red-barn.php
maybe using some blur behind the logo would get a nice effect.

Edited by jjyepez, 25 April 2010 - 01:12 AM.

#7 Anan

Anan

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:53 AM

it's a big space for design ... and you had put great composition there. however, i agree with jjyepez ... the background need to be brighten up.

in my opinion the bullets thick aren't too small compare to size area, but making it 2 or 4 point bigger wouldn't ruin the composition or maybe adding thick layer bellow the bullet text would make the text clearer to read from distance.

and another suggestion is adding or replacing one of the picture with younger couple it would make the fairview garden open for all age.

sorry for being 'knowledgeably' ... :D

#8 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:33 AM

and another suggestion is adding or replacing one of the picture with younger couple it would make the fairview garden open for all age.

Great suggestions, thanks.

As far as the images, I chose those because of their ages... Fairview Gardens is a 55+ community for active seniors. I could probably use a bit more ethnic diversity, though, I suppose.

#9 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:53 AM

Brandy, First of all I know your final project will be just perfect, Your style is one that I am always amazed at. I think with what the requirement are you are definitely on the right track. I will agree the bullets need more visibility. Might be hard for a 55+ senior to see. You would be surprized how big the letter on a billboard are. Here is a link to a Letter visibility chartLetter visibility Link. btw I love the pictures I think they are perfect for your venue, however I agree you might want to add a diverse group of shots. Good Luck

Vince

Designers are meant to be loved, not to be understood. — Fabien Barral

#10 aset

aset

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:04 AM

That's a good compromise on the background, as the customer wanted it black.

With your dot point text I would use a sans serif font instead of something like times. As a sans serif is less a little more simple looking it would be easier to read from a distance. If you get what i mean.

The polaroids are a bit bright being all white like that. I think there should be some stock images of actual polaroids somewhere then you can just put your other images over the top.

Good luck with it, it's a good start.
  • DixielandDesign likes this

#11 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

That's a good compromise on the background, as the customer wanted it black.

With your dot point text I would use a sans serif font instead of something like times. As a sans serif is less a little more simple looking it would be easier to read from a distance. If you get what i mean.

The polaroids are a bit bright being all white like that. I think there should be some stock images of actual polaroids somewhere then you can just put your other images over the top.

Good luck with it, it's a good start.

Good Point Aset, a sans serif font is pretty much the standard in large format design (There are exceptions for artistic purposes "Like in the Tagline.) Changing that will help it with visibility and clarity.

Vince

#12 libbyelliott

libbyelliott

• Designer
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

I really like the layout of your billboard! The logo looks great! I like the type along the bottom. It's a well balanced piece.

I just had a few suggestions. I'm not a huge fan of the sunset photo in the bg. It makes the right side of the billboard look blown out. I would try a solid color as a variation and see what happens. I also think a solid bg would make the rest of your design elements pop. :cool:

I love the photos you have selected, but in my opinion the polaroid look has a better application. Maybe something more along the lines of a scrap-book style (photo corners, paper backgrounds) would be more attractive to your audience.

I can't wait to see what you do next!

#13 serenabass

serenabass

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:34 PM

I agree with everyone about the photo used in the background. It is a bit dark and somewhat intimidating. Did you make the logo as well?
-Serena

#14 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:43 PM

I agree with everyone about the photo used in the background. It is a bit dark and somewhat intimidating. Did you make the logo as well?
-Serena

Seems to be the general consensus... time to change that background. Yes, I entered that logo in a contest here on DC, and the contest holder asked me to work on the billboard. This is my first real billboard design (I've done fake ones in school and for personal practice, but never for a paying client), so it's very exciting!

#15 libbyelliott

libbyelliott

• Designer
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

I also thought of one more suggestion... ok 2...

Less is always more, when it comes to billboards... they are passed by in a very short amount of time. Also, do you know where your billboard is located? Sometimes it's helpful to have a small directive to the location you are advertising on the billboard. Like.... Next Exit, or 2 Miles Ahead.

#16 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:19 AM

You should be excited and proud of your accomplishments. I am excited for you. As for the background I think I remember the CH wanted to see the logo on a Black BG., I would give them several options. Myself the Background you have right now may be dark but if the client wants Black so they are looking for a dark BG. I might even try a gradient in the BG as another choice. I think the present BG mutes out your logo where a black BG would make it POP!

Vince

#17 onesummer

onesummer

Guru

• Designer
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

I agree with the previous comments on the dark background/sunset -- lose it, unless you want to remind the target audience that FairView Gardens is going to be their last stop in this world (might as well say "come die here!"). I'm exaggerating, of course, but still...

Altogether, I also agree with less is more. What you've shown looks way to busy. I'd get with your client and pinpoint the primary points he/she wishes to get across and focus on those.

Again, agree with prior comments. drop the cursive fonts. you want this board to be legible for those 55+ years of age, right?

Are you still planning on using stock images? Does this place already exist? I'd suggest trying to get some real photos of residents at Fairview Gardens, instead of throwing in stock photos. The more authenticate, the better. Of course, only if your budget allows for this.

I also highly suggest reading up on designing for billboards. Or, better yet, consult with a designer who's previously designed them. Also study billboards that are out there already that are considered great.

Sorry to be a downer, just trying to be realistic about it. I do admire you for taking on such a project by yourself though. Good luck with it.
- onesummer (paul)

visit my portfolio website at: www.pauljobson.com

#18 cclark413

cclark413

• Designer
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

I really like your direction!

A couple of things...

I realize that the bullet points may be at the direction of the client, but I would really try to convince them away from too much information. As someone was previously stating, these billboards are passed by in a short amount of time... The script at the bottom should be plenty for means of getting attention.

The polaroids could be a little more realistic as someone also stated, I would suggest putting a light gray to white overlay (or multiply) layer to show some perspective. I also may give it a slight bevel/emboss, since polaroids can be thick enough to have the effect. I did a project for a previous employer using this effect, and I remember even going to the extent to find out the exact dimensions of a polaroid. Also there is a little raised "pocket?" below the picture, it almost looks puffed up. Here is the project I did, I wish that I had this a little bigger though to show what I mean. You may be able to tell though...

[ATTACH]7586[/ATTACH]

I would also have some means of contact/info, a web address would be my first choice if available so that people can find out more information. This could then offer more information like what you have detailed in your bullet points.

One last thing would be the polaroid to the right could be centered a little more on the people. Maybe enlarging the photo to show the couple better and moving to the right would accomplish this.

Hope this helps!

Edited by cclark413, 27 April 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#19 Rockula

Rockula

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:10 AM

I agree, add some shades to the polaroids, or maybe just one word on them, not really a whole message if you dont want em to look so wordy.
Looks good in general, just bigger text but you already know that.

#20 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

thanks everyone, very much, for all of your input. That along with the client's feedback will help me get it just right. I'll post the new version when it's done.

thanks cclark for the example you created - it's very nice! Actually, the polaroids I used were a stock image, but I guess I should pick a better one.

this community isn't built yet, and the sign will be on site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users