Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Turn Real Life Video Into a Cartoon

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:27 PM

Ever wanted to see yourself in a cartoon? Before now, there were means to turn a single image into something cartoon-like, but some folks at Microsoft Research have come up with a method to turn a video into an animated cartoon. It's not up to doing it fully automated, as you have to hand-mark various parts of the video every 10 to 15 frames, but the video of the results is quite impressive."
Posted Image

#2 NavySeals

NavySeals

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 06:01 AM

Wow, nice find resurepus, if and when this goes public, I want to get the software, it could be a revolution of animation and graphics.
Penguin is my HeRo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:23 PM

well, but I still doubt it can be a revolution in creative and original animation if you know what I mean...

#4 NavySeals

NavySeals

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, I mean the whole concept itself, beeing able to create cartoon movies out of real world pictures. Not necessarily now, but in the future.
Penguin is my HeRo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Qeffects

Qeffects

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:34 PM

hmm seems like a nice concept but for some reason i dont really like its output. it is, well a cartoon drawing afterall. i would much more impressed if it did vector graphics or something a bit more 'real' but i guess the aim was to make it look as if it was drawn i guess.
i dunno i still would prefer to do some rotoscoping in flash myself rather than have some program do it for me. means i can control everything myself too

#6 ic3d

ic3d

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 12:32 PM

That's really funny, anyone knows where i could find a sample video? Don't really believe this really works though. i can't see a piece of software turn several trees on grass (like in the sample) intro cartoon grass and one tree.

[edit]
Found it:
http://research.micr...FastForward.wmv

And the tree in the back seems to be a drawing? Where is the blue/green screen?
[/edit'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users