• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 wig1989

wig1989

Banned

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hi all, wondering if any can help. I currently have no access to any design programs that many are reffering to on this site, eg. Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator and am using free programs like GIMP to do my designs, which isnt a vector design program.

So i have found a program called Inkscape that states on the web that it is a vector design program. It doesnt pixelise if i decide to zoom in on a chosen part of the image either, Like Raster programs, eg GIMP / Photoshop.

Is this an ok package then to use for designs on the site? As im very keen to get involved on DC to enter contests and get feedback.

Thanks

#2 ricosuave413

ricosuave413

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:04 AM

I believe so. I started on Inkscape because financially it made more sense and had no problem using, saving, exporting etc. vector files. As long as you can save as .eps or .svg you should be fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#3 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

i heard only good things about inkscape, but if you don't want to succumb to buying the over hyped adobe illustrator then i would recommend xara xtreme, it is as powerful as illustrator, has a hundred times faster render and in my eyes is the king of vector graphics. good luck.
"Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

#4 MasNgabei

MasNgabei

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:01 AM

I never heard that Xara stuff, i'm gonna get some info myself on that.

#5 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Have to say inscape only good is the gradient tool compared to the older CS illustrator tool However on the new illustrator it is much better. But from allot of graphics I've seen overly using allot of bitmap filters to get great look especially seen the realistic cars and then saw in the vector version that the lines are not making sence with it and looks like they used blur inplace of meshing.

#6 mlev

mlev

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:24 PM

I use inkscape, it is good for me, but i'm not a professional. I started with it so this is common for me.

#7 backbeat

backbeat

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

Can anyone write up some more info on Inkscape?

#8 wig1989

wig1989

Banned

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

Can anyone write up some more info on Inkscape?

What you wana know?? All info can be found on the internet, I believe there is some kind of wikipedia thing for inkscape that I found, tonnes apon tonnes of info and links to tuts. I use it all the time for my designs. Sometimes it lets me down but the one thing that I have learnt by using it, SAVE after every say 15-30 minutes as its likes to crash.

#9 chooey98

chooey98

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

I have been using Inkscape v0.47 for about a month now, going through the tutorials on the web, and even creating some designs. It is an excellent tool, and I'm pleased with it. Since I'm just starting out myself, I don't have the budget to buy the very expensive Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw at the moment. But Inkscape would fit the requirements to deliver a logo if you should win a contest.

The only thing is, some CHs require that designs be created in CMYK format, and Inkscape does not have this capability yet. Is there a plugin or anything that can do this for free or cheaply?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users