&nsbp;

#1 akhockey17

akhockey17

Banned

• Banned
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

Hey guys,
I had an idea to redesign a company's website for an organization I used to work for. Being that I'm originally from Alaska, I had the opportunity to work with the state's largest fitness club chain, working in their marketing department doing graphic design for various flyers, posters, passes, etc. While I was there, they were working on revamping their website and to this day I still can't stand the layout or design of it. Therefore, I took it upon myself to come up with something a little more fresh and modern, consolidating many of the links and simplifying the layout. This was my idea for the homepage redesign. Here is a link to the original so you can compare the two.

Original --> The Alaska Club
Mine --> http://img841.images...7/tacmockup.jpg

Let me know what you think!

PS: Granted this might not ever come to fruition but you never know ;)

#2 trisler

trisler

• Designer
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

Neither one screams "fitness" or "athleticism" at me, but I'm definitely digging the redesign. I like that you got rid of that awkward pic for the New Member link.
It also seems to be easier to navigate, with just the important links highly-visible.
So...yeah. Maybe warmer colors if you wanted to project fitness and strength. I can't see anything else to critique.

#3 akhockey17

akhockey17

Banned

• Banned
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the comments. And I do see your point about the page "screaming" fitness. Remembering when I worked there, there was a lot of positive feedback about other fitness websites that had nice, simplistic designs. Minimalism was key and they didn't necessarily convey fitness right off the bat. I feel that their name itself is empowering and thus why they choose to go that route. In the same way, I'm using The Alaska Club's name and reputation to tell people the things they already know. Fitness, quality, family environment, etc, etc. This was mostly just a "clean-up" job if you will to a (IMO) disasterously designed site with too many buttons and not enough thought put into aesthetic appeal.

As far as the colors are concerned, I might have to do up a version with some warmers ones. I chose bluish colors only because the main color to the logo is a teal. I just altered to a darker gray blue for my design.

#4 Chris West

Chris West

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

The original isn't a total disaster although is a little cluttered. Yours is a definate improvement, the balance of space is much better and I like the choice of typefaces. The only thing I would say is that 'MY ACCOUNT' looks a little wrong to me like it should be | MY ACCOUNT | perhaps.
www.chris-west.co.uk

#5 zzzjoana

zzzjoana

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

try with little bit more color on bottom menu i think red..

#6 rsjunderground

rsjunderground

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:16 AM

I think the original website has a lot of links and things that make me feel confused and i dont know where to start clicking. so your design is better, but i think you can make it a litle more simple and fresh.
I like your design. just improve it!

#7 zensko

zensko

Banned

• Banned
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

New design is so much better, maybe you should try to change background color, and as someone said before it would be better with some other color for menu.

good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users