• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 artbymike

artbymike

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:38 PM

I drive an '09 Toyota Corolla. Okay, okay -- this isn't a Japanese car thread. My point is that my car was designed in Milan, Italy, and NOT in Japan.

In the past several years, Toyota has handed its design duties over to bureaus in California, Italy, and France, to name a few. I have also learned that car companies don't make their cars; they merely assemble them from parts they design, which other companies make for them.

Since it is obvious Toyota should hand design over to bureaus outside its HQ, should all car companies do the same?

#2 Edenarts.tk

Edenarts.tk

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:41 AM

If Toyota hands it's designs to other branch companies, then there won't be a Toyota company anymore -.-. It can be compared to the analogy like giving out a secret food recipe when your a food company.

#3 artbymike

artbymike

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

I believe the bureaus are owned by, or are in some way connected with Toyota. Many of their Lexus vehicles are designed in California. An automotive company can have a design center anywhere in the world, and it would still be considered a part of the company as a whole.

For example: Feat of Clay: We take a peek inside Toyota's Calty design center — Autoblog

If Toyota hands it's designs to other branch companies, then there won't be a Toyota company anymore -.-. It can be compared to the analogy like giving out a secret food recipe when your a food company.

#4 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:39 AM

Nowadays nothing have to be inhouse design, same goes for game companies. You think Capcom or EA does it all but they merely does the selling, the design and making are done by other companies in the end uses their names cause they are more famous and also they can get licences easier this way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users