• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Ryland.T

Ryland.T

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:45 AM

I think to capture more attention a flash intro should be built to demonstrate both the quality of the projects being developed here, as well as the meer eye candy that is associated with an intro that can luer customers in.

just my two cents.

#2 Imagenesis

Imagenesis

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:06 PM

I dont think that's a good idea, I myself dont enjoy looking at intros...And I also don't think this type of site typically has intros...I just can't put my finger on it but I dont think it's a good idea...

• Guests

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:30 PM

personally I am more leaning toward simple and clean design, just like John's (penguinpedia) version of the mail page.

#4 JakSmit

JakSmit

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:00 PM

no, everyone hates flash intros.
-- --- - -- ---- - -- ---- -- ---- --- - -- ---
My site: Freelance webdesign

#5 Ryland.T

Ryland.T

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 01:05 AM

a flash intro represents the true essence of what software today has to offer webdesign. Flash intro's are what bring the movies home and onto out computer screen. It's not enough to say "no one likes flash intros" perhaps you just havn't seen/made any good ones. I'm very busy with school, work, and my girlfriend. Regardless I could make a pimped out intro. Depends if it would even be used though. could do it with flash or 3d max. I wouldn't do it though unless it was appreciated. I did water in flash using 3 .pdf images http://www.elitegame...m/SPECTRUM.html the effects are capable you just need the insight to realise what they could do for this site.

#6 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 01:39 AM

Nice intro Ryland :)

Unfortunately I have to agree with everyone else though. People just don't have time to watch a flash intro. They are very amateurish, and the "Intro Age" has gone away.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#7 Ryland.T

Ryland.T

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 02:30 AM

well I tend to dissagree. a splash page with site specs and entry info is used by every nowa days even 2advanced. the site i linked of mine is a mere splash page like all others just a lil more design rich. a splash page (static or flash) could always be used at this site i think. this site used to have one but removed it once they got there site up.

#8 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 03:44 AM

The purpose of the 2advanced splash page is to inform the visitors that the website they are about to enter is rich in flash content, and should be viewed at a certain resolution. In this case the splash page works.

But having a splash page/intro for any website is not necessary - it doesn't work on websites that are information oriented, or on websites that are content rich. Intros in particular are long and boring.

When designing anything you always need to keep your target audience in mind. The audience of designcontest.com are individuals who want to hold a contest and get it started quickly, or design an entry and become a part of the team quickly. They do not want to view an intro page.

Now, a flash movie outlining what DC.net does is an option. This wouldn't be on an intro page, but instead would be placed as a link in the homepage. Anyone who wants to view it can, but nobody is forced to.

#9 Ryland.T

Ryland.T

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:08 PM

lol well first of all intros are website specific as you said. "long" is not a must. the intro could be a mere 3 seconds with a mint design of the logo which redirects the user automaticly to the main site. just a lil mint design before entering. graphic rich yet still quick and to the point. as for boring. Unless the design is completely amateurial i don't think any intro of professional quality is boring... Don't get me wrong I could get links to hundred of boring intros but I could also get links to amazing in intros as well. If an intro isn't liked by any of you thats fine... I presume you havn't seen any good ones. But as designers, to go as far as to say "nobody likes intros" and intros... are boring" thats just uneducated nonesense. And leading designer would tell you otherwise. Im new to this forum so I'm not yet sure if this is one of those codeing fynatic sites. where html is considered great webdesign... but flash is undisputibly the wave of future web design. And to go one step further 3D max and maya presentations are becoming even more prodominate in the design feild with there 3D capabilities. Even this nav bar for DXC could be spoofed right up with a little Adobe work and some incorporated flash. I don't mean to sit here and critisize, I just like to press the importance of flash in design. Staying leading edge in design is imparative if you wish to get any where in this ever growing feild.

And if anything is "BORING" it's the static presentation of html. anyone can write html. my little sister could after a 3 hour lesson.

#10 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 05:55 PM

Ryland - you are entitled to your opinion but I don't see why you are taking offense to ours.

The fact is: Intros/Splash pages were "trendy" a couple years ago, now they aren't. Users don't care about fancy intros anymore - they want the content, and they want it right away. Being stopped by a splash page only turns away users from a website (myself included) because they somehow have to find the "skip intro" button or even the always hidden "Enter" button.

You also need to understand that we don't yet live in a broadband age. Not everyone in the world uses a high speed connection, and flash movies/websites have a tendency to be extremely slow loading on 56k modems. Flash is also not compatible on everyones computer, because it doesn't come as a standard in every operating system yet.

Flash the future? yes definitely, but it probably won't be called flash and it will be owned by microsoft.

Static HTML boring? Not likely. You need to step out of the designer shoes and look at a website how the users look at it. Ordinary people want information, not fancy graphics.

#11 Ryland.T

Ryland.T

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 12:36 AM

most of what your saying I agree with. users want the content and fast abosolutly but it's all relative to the point of view. So ill step off this, I personally am all about design i love it and take it up mor eas a hobby then anyhting. getting payed to do it is just a bonus. However I still think that if a site is related to design or graphics or webdesign in any way it should represent the best in both areas. content and design. "design contest"? who can build the best for the client. I think you can still keep the graphics rich and maintain a low loading time even for 56k'ers

but w.e majority rules I suppose.

#12 digitalmunky

digitalmunky

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 12:33 PM

How about thumbnail views of all entries on seperate pages... By using a script ,to copy and resize entries, you can have seperate pages that allow everyone to view entries by other forum members/visitors... Each page would be titled relative to the thread/contest/forum name (ie., Logos, Webistes, Flash, etc.).. Also, you would give people the option to open a full-size view of the thumbnails or they can choose to jump to the most recent thread comment the thumbnail is associated with... Just my 2¢...

#13 will

will

Designer / Technomancer

• Designer
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 07:41 AM

Ryland, thanx for the contribution. You are right, flash is an important thing nowadays (and personally I love it). A splash screen is not an option here because we need a fast access to the forums but I think something can be done for our main page both light (since penguin is right on the broadband issue) and stylish (since a slight movement tends to relax the eye from the static structures and makes it more attractive). It's good to see the members participating here and we are all glad to check on everyones ideas for making this place a better place.

Digitalmunky your idea has been on our mind for a while and maybe in the future can be applied when a programmer is found with enough time to dedicate on that issue. Again thanx for the ideas.
Will
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it" (EDITH WHARTON)
-- NEW Portfolio --

#14 NavySeals

NavySeals

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:33 PM

Well DC does no need a flash intro, it is fine as is. Personally, I do not think a splashpage/intro would be necessary for DC, you comonly se intros in hosting sies and never with design sites. Lets say some how DC did decide to have an intro, it wouldn't e auto start, it would be on a special page that you would be able to choose to see it or not. That's just my suggestion/opp.

Matt
Penguin is my HeRo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users