• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#1 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

Every once in awhile designcontest ends up with what we call an banded contest. For various reasons the contest holder has left the contest. When this happens we will put the contest in voting mode for you (the members) to choose the winner. This is only done on "Guaranteed contests"

Please visit this contest "Serona animal Health"

DesignContest.net Serona Animal Health

This vote will be up for 14 days

Edited by sharie, 17 November 2010 - 08:16 PM.

Like us on facebook

#2 aset

aset

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

This is a great idea sharie.
I have no idea why CHs don't follow through. I mean they are just throwing away money.
Plus all the time and effort the designers put in.

I have voted in both.

(Just curious to know. Your not able to vote for your own are you?)

#3 Stev27

Stev27

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:13 PM

Nice to see these old guaranteed contests getting resolved.

Time to vote! :D

#4 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:16 PM

No you can not vote for your on entry

Like us on facebook

#5 aik

aik

• Designer
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

Nice to see that every contest is well taken care :)
But I'm still new, and not sure how is the mechanism, so members vote for a winner, are members votes will be converted into rate points? How about rate points that already given by the CH?

Btw, the order of the designs displayed seems like random, either I choose 'best rated first' or 'most recent first'. On what base are they ordered?

#6 ZukiH

ZukiH

Guru

• Designer
  • 1178 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

Final votes will decide the winner.

Everytime you enter on the contest page, the entries order change. The idea is for you to vote ignoring the ranking. Just vote the one you think its perfect for that client.

Each designer will keep his points and voting wont give or take back any points.

#7 aik

aik

• Designer
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:27 AM

Final votes will decide the winner.

Everytime you enter on the contest page, the entries order change. The idea is for you to vote ignoring the ranking. Just vote the one you think its perfect for that client.

Each designer will keep his points and voting wont give or take back any points.

So is it means that the winner is only decided by votes, and the points or ranking is not counted?

I'm a little bit doubt to take vote, considering some matters:
- if I didn't involved with the contest (didn't submit any designs), I might not have spent enough time to understand the specific goal and need from the CH that followed by the designers involved (which sometimes bended the results from common good value), so I might mistakenly voted based on my common good value.
- if I involved with the contest, then my votes might get biased with the surrounding conditions. Given not being able to vote for my own design, I might mistakenly hesitated to vote my competitors, regardless of their quality.
- since the forum is rather open to all members, is there a chance that votes taken unseriously or perhaps just for fun? If that the case, several fun votes might jeopardize the result, and this could be a backward move for DC.

For the best of DC,
cheers :)

#8 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:57 AM

You are making this too complicated. It is simple vote for the design you think is best, doesn't matter if you were in the contest or not. Look at the entries and vote for the one you like

So is it means that the winner is only decided by votes, and the points or ranking is not counted?

I'm a little bit doubt to take vote, considering some matters:
- if I didn't involved with the contest (didn't submit any designs), I might not have spent enough time to understand the specific goal and need from the CH that followed by the designers involved (which sometimes bended the results from common good value), so I might mistakenly voted based on my common good value.
- if I involved with the contest, then my votes might get biased with the surrounding conditions. Given not being able to vote for my own design, I might mistakenly hesitated to vote my competitors, regardless of their quality.
- since the forum is rather open to all members, is there a chance that votes taken unseriously or perhaps just for fun? If that the case, several fun votes might jeopardize the result, and this could be a backward move for DC.

For the best of DC,
cheers :)

Like us on facebook

#9 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

hey everyone,
i really missed DC..i wasn't around for the last few weeks (work..work ..work).. it's weekend in my part & i'm trying to catch up. hope everything is running good..

Every once in awhile designcontest ends up with what we call an banded contest. For various reasons the contest holder has left the contest. When this happens we will put the contest in voting mode for you (the members) to choose the winner. This is only done on "Guaranteed contests"

Please visit this contest "Serona animal Health"

DesignContest.net Serona Animal Health

This vote will be up for 14 days

Sharie , that is good news.. i also was wondering why the CH abandoned the contest like that. it was a good contest with very nice entries, also the CH was greatly involved in the contest till the very end!!
anyways, it's about time for this contest to have an end..
i've submitted my vote.. good luck for all :)
  • Babba likes this

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#10 aik

aik

• Designer
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

You are making this too complicated. It is simple vote for the design you think is best, doesn't matter if you were in the contest or not. Look at the entries and vote for the one you like

:) Sharie, making it too complicated is the last thing I want, trust me. But by not saying it, doesn't reduce the complication. After all, this is a forum, and I was just trying to discuss it, I'm not opposed to anything or anyone :)

My first concern is that I didn't pay for the contest, so I believe the priority belongs to the CH to like it or not (if they have put some points mark), not me or others.

My other concern is the appreciation of all the hard work dedicated by the designers on a contest, would it be valued properly with the system, considering if there could be lots of fun votes and nothing-to-lose votes? (It was a question, not a critique, because I don't know how the system currently works)

Thanks for the attentions, my intention is just a matter of discussion, to learn and know more, to share opinion, and hopefully for a better DC. And I agree that the votes itself should be simple.

#11 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

I think you are miss-understanding what I mean by you are making this too complicated.

To begin with the ch has abandoned the contest for reasons who knows could be they just didn't like what they were getting and had too many entries to get a refund per our TOS.

When I vote, I vote for the design

1). I think fits the contest brief.
2). I then look at what the designers interpreted
3). Most the time One design stands out above the rest , sometimes it was what was in the brief sometimes not. many times the very good designers will come up with something that is so fitting the ch can't even see it as to how great that design is.
4). So basically you vote for the design you think is best, doesn't matter if you paid for the contest, doesn't matter if you were in the contest or not (you can't vote for your own design any way) So vote for the design you think is best

:) Sharie, making it too complicated is the last thing I want, trust me. But by not saying it, doesn't reduce the complication. After all, this is a forum, and I was just trying to discuss it, I'm not opposed to anything or anyone :)

My first concern is that I didn't pay for the contest, so I believe the priority belongs to the CH to like it or not (if they have put some points mark), not me or others.

My other concern is the appreciation of all the hard work dedicated by the designers on a contest, would it be valued properly with the system, considering if there could be lots of fun votes and nothing-to-lose votes? (It was a question, not a critique, because I don't know how the system currently works)

Thanks for the attentions, my intention is just a matter of discussion, to learn and know more, to share opinion, and hopefully for a better DC. And I agree that the votes itself should be simple.

Like us on facebook

#12 soldation2010

soldation2010

• Designer
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

Aik, I guess It's not that complicated or malicious as you're afraid of and also it's not at all a bad idea (actually I already voted, hehe). Let's try to see good points: The appreciation of other designers could give somone good feelings. Also, everyone who's shuffling on internet could vote "just for fun" here? I don't think so. If it is so, I'd suggest a "rule of 10 posts" to be applied for the right to vote for this kind of stuff. Cheers!

#13 aik

aik

• Designer
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:50 AM

Hi Sharie and John, thanks for the feedback of the discussion :)
Perhaps indeed I've got a little misunderstanding, but actually I've got the big picture, and I agree that it's not a bad idea at all.
And I think that there's also a little misunderstanding about my concerns, because basically it was a question out of my lack of knowledge about the system, not a critique about the system.

Also, everyone who's shuffling on internet could vote "just for fun" here? I don't think so. If it is so, I'd suggest a "rule of 10 posts" to be applied for the right to vote for this kind of stuff. Cheers!

That's one of the question in the concern, I agree about the 10 post rules, but is the 10 post rules also apply to votes, or only for submitting designs? Is there any other criteria to be able to vote? (Considering the statistic that showed we have about 27,040 members with designers listed about 759).

To begin with the ch has abandoned the contest for reasons who knows could be they just didn't like what they were getting and had too many entries to get a refund per our TOS.

I agree, that might be the case, but imho, that would apply to CH that leave no points marks or leave just some bad points marks. Some other CH, leave some good feedbacks and points marks, and only disapear in the last moments, sometimes even after the contest has over due (no more new designs would change the points marks). I think for that case, it would be simplest to just carry on with what they left, and finish the contest :)
And in the business world, I believe that customers deserve the thing that they already choose and paid, even if they decided to leave it after. And only if the customers confused then we could pick what suits them according to us.
(When I try to put myself in the customer shoes, I imagine myself buying a cute doll for my niece, and after choose and paid, I had to left for an emergency situation. I imagine how disappoint I could be when I come back and see that the doll wrapped became a bestseller robot that lots of people like, but not me because my niece hate robots).

And again, it's all just a matter of discussion, sorry if there's any misunderstanding or offending, just a share of thought, a search of light, thanks :)

Edited by aik, 22 November 2010 - 05:02 AM.

#14 GuoJin

GuoJin

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

just curious, how many contests had been abandoned here?
should we make a topic regarding abandoned contests so we can be more careful entering such ones?
hope there are not many abandoned contests in dc.:)

#15 GuoJin

GuoJin

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

add:
how to vote?
sorry... kind of new here! :p

#16 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

No we don't need a topic for abandoned contests.

How to vote, click the entry you want to view or vote (depending on how your browser is set up, it might open in another window) once you see the entry you want to view or vote you will see a button below the design (vote this design) There you go

Like us on facebook

#17 baiskee

baiskee

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 915 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:51 AM

voted.

good luck :)
LOGOWORX

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you don't have; rather remember that what you have now was once among the things you only hoped for.”

#18 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36603 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

Voted..., I wish some of the entries followed colors of clients preferences.
Anyway, like always - too much good ones, too hard to make selection:)

#19 gutierrezdesign2019

gutierrezdesign2019

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 06:13 PM

Hi the logo contest (https://www.designco...guard-insurance) has a year that ended without a winner yet, it is supposed to be guaranteed, how long should we wait then for the winner ??? ? Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users