Logo feedback needed please!

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 ashskye

ashskye

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:44 AM

This is a logo for a coffee shop located in a church. I would love/appreciate feedback. Thanks so much!

Attached Files

#2 cclark413

cclark413

• Designer
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

The first things that stick out to me are the lack of regard for the typography and the repeating (what I assume to be) Coffee beans. I would try playing off just one coffee bean, if you must, and adding more character to it. If you insist on having 3, then I would give them each their own unique characteristic. Maybe playing with the perspective of them and having the interact with eachother (leaning on one another, etc).

I would go with more of an uplifting, playful, java (if you will) type/font and contrast the type using upper and lowercase possibly. I would also look into reducing the size of "the" and "cafe" and putting more info on "Waterwheel". Maybe "the" could sit over "waterwheel" on the left side, and "cafe" could sit below on the right.

Good luck.

#3 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

cclark413 gave some great advise about this.

Like us on facebook

#4 cclark413

cclark413

• Designer
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

Thank you Sharie

#5 ashskye

ashskye

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:47 AM

Thank you! Yes, I agree...I had one bean, but was worried the bean and water concept wasn't obvious enough, so I added two more to make more of like a stream. Thanks very much for the advice!

#6 ashskye

ashskye

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

Here is a revised version...I am still not completely sure about it, so any further help is appreciated. I didn't mention before that it is for the youth building of the church. Thanks!

Attached Files

#7 cclark413

cclark413

• Designer
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

Getting MUCH better!

Now, I still think the font could use some work along with the bean, but the layout is much much much much better.

Go to this link:
Fancy > Curly fonts | dafont.com

These are some free fonts you might like to take a look at. The new font, while better, is kinds of creepy looking - and not subtle enough in my opinion. I would probably contrast the font even more by using a basic san-serif font for "the" and "cafe" and using something flashy for "waterwheel"...

I am more a visual person than a writer, so here is an example....

Attached File  WATERWHEEL.jpg   29.67KB   275 downloads

Now for the bean, don't look at the bean as a whole, but something more playful. All you need do is define the shape of the bean using, well, whatever, but good design means not being so "literal" sometimes. It's always best to not try and pull off realism if it doesn't look real :)

Make it out of swirls, make it out of a stroke similar to what you choose for your font, you have lots of options... but don't hold yourself to the exact form and fill of a real coffee bean... be playful with it... mess around... you might be surprised at what comes up :)

#8 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

wtg cclark!

The bean that is being used looks like a chocolate donut with filling. The size of the bean compared to the name, the bean overwhelms the name of the coffee shoppe

Like us on facebook

#9 ashskye

ashskye

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:48 AM

Here is revised version number 2! I think this one is better... Thank you both for all your help! The bean isn't exactly not realistic, but I hope it doesn't look like a doughnut anymore:)

Attached Files

#10 cclark413

cclark413

• Designer
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:17 AM

Wow. It's really taking shape now! Good job!

The only thing I can see now is some minor adjustments to the kerning (space between each letter) of "waterwheel". Some parts seem to have too much space

Great job again!

#11 rif56

rif56

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

Excellent, encouraging advice. You would be a great college professor. Are you?
rif56

#12 ashskye

ashskye

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

Thank you very much! I agree with rif56.

#13 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

I see 3 over-baked burgers in the original...but I like it...I think they are unique:)

#14 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

in the latest one...the a and t in waterwheel should be brought closer...

#15 tybest

tybest

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

I might be totally wrong but for some reason that blue is a little too strong for me against the brown. Is it a fancy cafe or a classy one?

#16 ashskye

ashskye

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:14 AM

It's a super laid back cafe in the youth building at a church...it's just sort of a section of a larger building.

Morabira: thanks for your comment...yeah they do look like hamburgers...ones with water instead of meat:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users