• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hello all.

I have some suggestions for developing the DC.

If CH extends the contest, designers also have to have the right to submit new entries and ideas again. All submission credits should be renewed. We all here have certain strategies during the contests. New participants just copy the ideas and make them look
differently or they see what CH likes or not, therefore they have a certain advantage.

Moreover, DC system needs the deadline timer to be updated. It would be great, if when we have less than 1 hour left we should see minutes and seconds. Also, the list of contests should indicate the contest's progress, smth like "live" or "dead" contest icons. If CH doesn't participate in ratings or discussions we (designers) and CHs should be able to see a mark (it could be a battery for instance or a progress bar), so this will give an idea for CH that he won't get enough logos and potential better entries because his contest is considered, lets say, as a "dead" contest (in case of small progress). So he/she needs to be more involved in the process in order to get more logos and therefore designers (full progress bar attracts more designers, so they don't think that this contest is abandoned).

My fourth suggestions is that the community needs to be a bit more professional. We have dozens of instances here when designers propose mediocre designs for the clients and some of the clients are very happy with their designs by choosing them as a winning designs. This just isn't right. I understand that client's tastes are a subjective thing, but DC as intermediate of graphic design services should provide more professional attitude and quality services for the clients. Most of the clients are not
professionals in this field, they don't know the details. They need some sort of consulting, but we can't consult them, we can reduce the number of unprofessional-looking designs. So we need some kind of a board of old and honored designers who actually manually look through the designer's applications (for new members), their portfolio and moderate their entries before they can submit something on their own during a fixed period of time (or number of submissions, let's say 20). Answering for a couple silly questions before registering does not work anymore.

Cheers

#2 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

Hi eximius, interesting suggestions ... although I do have some comments

If CH extends the contest, designers also have to have the right to submit new entries and ideas again. All submission credits should be renewed. We all here have certain strategies during the contests. New participants just copy the ideas and make them look
differently or they see what CH likes or not, therefore they have a certain advantage.

Not really convinced by this idea, I think that 7 designs (it was 3 before!) is enough and anyway if a CH likes your work he will ask for more and give you credits for that.
Some designers are already using the "I upload all my 7 designs no matter what" strategy , therefore your idea will probably make extended contests even more confusing.And copycat usually don't win (hopefully).

Moreover, DC system needs the deadline timer to be updated. It would be great, if when we have less than 1 hour left we should see minutes and seconds. Also, the list of contests should indicate the contest's progress, smth like "live" or "dead" contest icons. If CH doesn't participate in ratings or discussions we (designers) and CHs should be able to see a mark (it could be a battery for instance or a progress bar), so this will give an idea for CH that he won't get enough logos and potential better entries because his contest is considered, lets say, as a "dead" contest (in case of small progress). So he/she needs to be more involved in the process in order to get more logos and therefore designers (full progress bar attracts more designers, so they don't think that this contest is abandoned).

I've seen the healthy/dead contest thing somewhere i think, I don't know if it works but why not ...

My fourth suggestions is that the community needs to be a bit more professional. We have dozens of instances here when designers propose mediocre designs for the clients and some of the clients are very happy with their designs by choosing them as a winning designs. This just isn't right. I understand that client's tastes are a subjective thing, but DC as intermediate of graphic design services should provide more professional attitude and quality services for the clients. Most of the clients are not
professionals in this field, they don't know the details. They need some sort of consulting, but we can't consult them, we can reduce the number of unprofessional-looking designs. So we need some kind of a board of old and honored designers who actually manually look through the designer's applications (for new members), their portfolio and moderate their entries before they can submit something on their own during a fixed period of time (or number of submissions, let's say 20). Answering for a couple silly questions before registering does not work anymore.

Very interesting point, I do agree , it would be nice to improve our quality contests even though designContest has always been and will remain a place where beginners are welcome. In the old website, we had the 10 posts rule (wasn't the best but actually useful when I think about it now, because new members used to read all the guidelines properly) and then where a bit more educated when starting their fist contests.
I disagree with you concerning client's choice though, They should remain free to choose what ever they want. I don't like the idea of the "we know what's best for you" ... I think they should feel free here in DC, and WE, need to be reliable if they need us.

Also there use to be some "elite designers only contests" , it might be back one day ....

Edited by cobalt, 23 September 2011 - 07:31 PM.

#3 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

Whatever guys :) You are going to the wrong direction :)

#4 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

well, technically I'm not in charge here , So I will follow DC rules anyway :)

#5 Nimram

Nimram

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

Hello all.
...My fourth suggestions is that the community needs to be a bit more professional. We have dozens of instances here when designers propose mediocre designs for the clients and some of the clients are very happy with their designs by choosing them as a winning designs. This just isn't right. I understand that client's tastes are a subjective thing, but DC as intermediate of graphic design services should provide more professional attitude and quality services for the clients. Most of the clients are not

Maybe the simplest way would be to start a tread on the forum with beat up designs. Things we see way too often. Some designers (me included) use images or ideas that are overused because they don't know any better or because the CH seems to favor them. in any case, i think is wrong. We could try to educate ourselves and the CH to avoid these things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users