Saving files?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 ABC123

ABC123

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:18 AM

Hey, I've been pretty busy lately and I havn't visited the board for a few months. :eek:
And im sort of new to this design thing and I was wondering, in what format do people like their images to be saved? Let's say if you won a contest, what format would they normally ask you to save it in, and would you send it through email?
:D

#2 illumina

illumina

Guru

• Designer
  • 2714 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:30 AM

My personal preferred formats are:
Vector: .TIFF and .EPS
RBG: .PSD

• Guests

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:39 PM

it depends. If it is a you might be requested your .PSD source file besides the jpegs or gifs if it is a web content.

If it is a logo or illustration contest that would require vector images, you might be requested .AI or some other format and maybe some bitmap copie as well.

#4 timmetje

timmetje

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:56 PM

hi, i've got some questions about saving too:

with illustrator I use .ai to save files, recently i installed a newer version of illustrator. If I open an old file (and I have to update it) the kerning is set to default again, is there a way to save this too?

How can you make sure the font is included in the save file?

Is there a way to make sure that older versions of illustrator can open the saved files too, is .eps suitable for that?

thanx in advance ;)

#5 Ruben@Run2

Ruben@Run2

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:13 PM

With CS version, AI's type engine changed thats why everytime you open a legacy file it ask to update it. What it change is the kerning and leading but im afraid there isnt a way to preserve old values.

The only chances to keep it is (obviously besides the no update option) is select not update and then update in a paragraph or selected text basis. You can find that option on Type > Legacy Text > Update Selected Text. The other (if you want an exact match) is to have two copies of the text, one updated and another not.
About fonts, you have two options: preserve text as font or change to outlines. With the last option you dont need to include any font. With the first one, you may want to be sure to include all the fonts required. To do so, just select all you elements and then go to Window > Document Info > Fonts and it will show all the fonts used on your document. ANd before sending any font, just to be sure to read the License Agreement of the commercial fonts you are using. You cannot freely distribute them.

And finally to open a CS file on legacy version, you can create a EPS or export it as a legacy version. Just go to Export and you will find the option there.

Hope this information will help you. ;)
:: Ruben ::
www.RUN2Corp.com

#6 deepixel

deepixel

Banned

• Banned
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:21 PM

Hey, I've been pretty busy lately and I havn't visited the board for a few months. :eek:
And im sort of new to this design thing and I was wondering, in what format do people like their images to be saved? Let's say if you won a contest, what format would they normally ask you to save it in, and would you send it through email?
:D

.eps is most suitable for vector. Because it is cross platform. I have had issues with sending AI CS files to clients with a MAC. You can try AI 8. Also .psd or the sliced .htm with the folder structure for web stuff. And of course .sla for flash stuff.

#7 timmetje

timmetje

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:46 PM

thnx ruben,

it helped a lot! except when i do "Type > Legacy Text > Update Selected Text" it still changes the kerning. So i guess i just dont update it then, i accidently updated a couple of files already though is there a way to turn this back?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users