• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently started to learn how to design/code website.
It's actually very interesting and powerful (more than I expected !).

anyway, I want to learn and I want to learn to proper way to do it.
I know there are excellent website designers here, and I got a couple of questions if you don't mind answering.

1. first, about software , Im quite curious to know what you're using (and how you work as well).

I tried different ones, and this is what I end up with :

layout/slicing : definitely photoshop

xhtml/css :
- coda : excellent, a light IDE , unfortunately only on MAC
- dreamweaver : as a beginner, quite helpful, but lots of useless stuff.
- notepad++ : ok, but it's just an editor.
I would then use coda, but if there's a good one (light IDE) on windows I'd be interested.

I also used the web developer toolbar on firefox which is quite nice as well.

my training isn't finished yet, is there any other tools I should know about ?

2 . Also, I'd like to know a bit more about your website design experience in DC.

I had a look at website design contests and Now I can understand why eximius suggested some more detailed briefing !!
Contest seems a bit confused, So if you could share how it did end for you it would be interesting.
for instance :

Did you design only the layout or end up coding the whole website as well ?
Did contests finish with a one and one project and how long did it take …
Do you usually create original icons or do you have collections of free buttons,icons etc …
Do you usually buy stock images or leave it to the CH ?
… or anything else relevant …

lot of random (maybe silly :D ?) questions , sorry about that …

Obsiouvly, this post is for winner of DC website contests and website design expert (eximius, xclusive, goldenZ and all the others … )

If you don't mind sharing your knowledge , it would greatly appreciated.

thanks.

cobalt.

#2 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hi Cobalt,

I will answer to you briefly since I don't have much time :)

1. You may use whatever IDE you want for coding. The main factor here is the Knowledge. You should now the basics about the web developing in general and some experience. There are tons of nuances that even experienced web designers have troubles to foresee how their design will look like in the very end of the developing.

The main thing you have to know - the basics of HTML/XHTML markup, CSS (! a must) and one of the programming/scripting languages such as PHP, JavaScript, Java, Perl, etc (so you have a basic knowledge about the programming in general. You can be a talented designer but if you don't know how the coder will slice your design, your design will be a pain in someone's @#s. Of course you have to know Photoshop (industry standard) and Illustrator.

Personally I use:
To design: Photoshop. The vector elements I do in Illustrator of course. Flash.
Developing:
Slicing/XHTML markup - Photoshop, TextWrangler (it's a code/text highlighting editor for Mac) or/with FarManager (editor/filemanger/FTP client for PC). Firefox Web developer plugin and Firebug.
Programming (depends on platform/technology) - TexWrangler (PHP, Javascript, Perl, ASP), FarManager, FLASH (ActiveScript), FLEX, Eclipse (Java, C++, Ruby)

2. I do not participate in contests which require coding here in DC. There are many rules here and the system itself limits the CH - Designer interaction, so it's extremely inconvenient to work. I really don't understand how we can code and work with client's servers, hosting platforms without sharing our personal information like emails or phone calls. There could be tons of things you need to discuss with CH.. Ridiculous :) Moreover, the amount of compensation for the developing is usually very poor comparing to the actual prices for such services and I don't want to work for the dumping prices. Briefs here are VERY poor also..

Sorry, gotta go :) Just be original and do not copy one's ideas within a contest. Use your own media or stock images with whatermarks and keep records of the stock ID's and lightboxes. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users