• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 amcmillin

amcmillin

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 07:09 AM

I am not a newbie just someone who has been having to sell his soul basically to get a decent income on all these "rent you skills" type sites. I am sick of it as I know I am worth far more than 40$ for the work I put into them. My skill level in flash is beyond the norm. I can do just about anything with flash. Games, Websites, Banners, Applications, etc..

I am also exceptionally good with creating ASP pages but dont know shit about php(just havent bothered working with it/learning it). I have over the years aquired friends in high places and managed thru beta testing to get alot of 3D applications and am skilled using them.

My question is....... How much is a singular flash website worth? This includes sound, animation, graphics(all royalty free graphics I have bought over the years), exceptionally well done layouts. and expandability(I make sure that if the customer doesnt know anything about flash and doesnt have the proper programs to replace the text that I make them a .txt based backend for replacing it as well as the links associated with it.).

How much basically would you charge?

My next question is. how much is a Flash game worth?
or a flash application(by application I mean stuff they can use over the web to interact with other people or things that they cant normally do with html alone).

Reason why I am asking is because last year I made 12k. thats 1k a month and I am sure I can do better if I knew how much to charge...

oh btw, this has nothing to do with that other guys post lol.

#2 Nulla nonummy

Nulla nonummy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:18 PM

Hello

I would just decide how much you want to make per hour and then estimate how many hours you will spend on each project, and go from there.

That is just my 2 cents though.

I am always afraid of overpricing a job and loosing it, but at the same time I am scared to underbid myself. cause if I ain't happy with the pay scale my work will suffer.

That is bad.

I hope this at least started to answer your question.

Later
Nulla

#3 karl472001

karl472001

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 06:04 PM

I have the same problem. Just think up of an hourly wage you would like to work at and tell the client that you will work for that much per hour.

#4 Cleric

Cleric

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 10:21 PM

I charge 50 an hour for flash but my knowledge of actionscript is minimal. Also it depends on where you live and your cost of living. Also it varies from client to client, I would quote less to a startup band than I would a major company.

You might check out http://www.amazon.co...476058?v=glance
CarbonFour
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

#5 Nulla nonummy

Nulla nonummy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 02:24 PM

Hello

Also it varies from client to client, I would quote less to a startup band than I would a major company.

Definetly. I also charge based on what the client can actually afford.

Later
Nulla

#6 Digigamer

Digigamer

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 12:33 AM

Sounds like your pretty skilled so I would start charging at least $20 a hour, more if this is your only source of income. Make sure you have a digital portfolio showcasing your skills and work. Then just get the word out about your site. Get free advertising any way possible (posting a link to your site all over the place works well). Anyways for what you described I would charge at least $250 for that site and I suck at layouts and shit. Keep in mind thats $250 of my skills. Your obviously more talented so that prise goes up.

#7 amcmillin

amcmillin

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 12:41 AM

here goes a example of my work. Its something I did just for giggles. My work is allways top notch and I ussually charge about 40 max if i am using another site as it seems if I dont (please excuse me for saying this) People from India will under bid me conciderablly(ussually about 50$ for a template of the same quality if not less in price).

http://webpages.comnetservices.com/

This is just a small example.

#8 Crazy Bat

Crazy Bat

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:50 AM

Make sure you know what the client is expecting now and try to quote based on that. If they try to 'feature creep' you, then make sure you have a contingency plan in case of that.

$50/hr is a good place to start.
Crazy Bat Designs
Home of the phpBB WASO
Helping You Reach The MOST People Possible

#9 Cleric

Cleric

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 07:09 AM

Something I do frequently is quote double the amount of time I estimate for completing a given project. This way when you finish in half the time the client loves you, and when something goes wrong and it takes longer you have a buffer.
CarbonFour

#10 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:50 PM

Personally, I think you should give a flat rate. Not go hourly. It gives your client more secruity knowing that you're not gonna cheat them on the hours you say you sent doing something. However, if I do something by hour I charge close to 80 on the hour, but I try not to do that.

For the site that you showed I would probably put 80 on it. It's not to overly complicated not much involved in it. But the difference b/t me and a client is that I know Flash, Design all that goodness so I would expect more. I'm assuming your text is dynamic. Which could boost the price only because it if you created an online database the client could easily update the site as they see fit.

www.beyondthepixel.com - a multimedia affair
··························································
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
-Leonardo da Vinci

#11 amcmillin

amcmillin

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 11:36 PM

extremly true about the dynamic part. I run a back end off of it to change things as need/whenever I get a urge.

but remember the photo's on there are stock which I took which normally I sell at 75$ alone(yes they do sell well btw(its my other hobbie), which raises the price imho(the client doesnt need to worry about getting bad quality pictures and more than likely wont find anywhere else on the web. Making the value of it raised.

and concidering layout is perfect and doesnt take up alot of space and is well thought out. I dont see why I couldnt get 150-200 for it.

BTW, I got quotes from several ladies that I know who do flash and that was the cost they said they would charge/pay for the website.

And as your signature says simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Its simple yet eligant at the same time. Some that takes time and skill to achieve ^_^.

#12 Cleric

Cleric

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 04:04 AM

This is simplicity:
http://www.howry.com
CarbonFour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users