jonasmorais

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Stripe

Stripe

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

I've just uploaded my first submission in several weeks. My design has compression fuzz around the image. This never used to happen.

The image was 640px x 480px exported 'for web' straight from Illustrator as a maximum quality RGB jpeg. When comparing the original (exported image) to that of the DC (roll over) preview, there is a noticeable difference.

Is their any secondary compression done now when uploading DC?

Thanks.

• Guests

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

yes, the 640x480px previews are compressed. however you can always see the original image with it's size and quality just the way you uploaded it by clicking the preview.

#3 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hi there Stripe and welcome back to DC.

This is how I save mine for uploads.........

I save the AI file sized at 640x480 (ai can be sized at anything or changed with no loss) I then open the ai file in photoshop. The size pop opens I open the file 640x480 300 res

I then check the mode and make sure it is rgb and then save the exact file as a jpg. I never get fuzzies and have never seen anyone have the fuzzies that save the file this way.

Like us on facebook

#4 Stripe

Stripe

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the quick response. That sounds like a logical method and I'll give it a try. My only constraint is with only having 1gb of RAM, my machine works better with photoshop turned off, I don't expect you to be able to help with my hardware issues. Thanks again and I'm loving the new DC!

#5 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

It maybe saving s a web format is the reason for your fuzzy edges. Try saving in different formats before uploading the final as a test

#6 Stripe

Stripe

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

It maybe saving s a web format is the reason for your fuzzy edges. Try saving in different formats before uploading the final as a test

I have always uploaded images to DC that were exported 'for web' from Illustrator. DC is after all a website, right? 72dpi, maximum quality jpeg, at 100% zoom usually does the trick (check my DC entries). I understand that you can't zoom in on a 72 dpi image but it would probably load a bit quicker?? This problem only occurred during rollover preview. The image, when clicked, displays clean.

This has been more of an observation than a complaint really.

I'm still going to try Sharie's method when I get the chance.

Thanks.

#7 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:55 AM

Make 640x480, 72dpi RGB Photoshop file for previews. Just copy your logo from AI and paste to PS as pixels. Than save to PNG24.

#8 SpyMouse

SpyMouse

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

I always save my preview images as PNG. You should avoid using JPEG when possible so that you don't see compression artifacts or get "fuzzy" images.

#9 Stripe

Stripe

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

You're right SpyMouse. I'm using PNG at the moment and it's crisp and clear. A lot of submissions (even some of the top designers in DC) have the fuzzy stuff around shapes when you look closely enough. I just can't tolerate it.

I don't need to use photoshop. Just export my illustration from illustrator PNG. Simple and clean.

Thanks all!

Edited by Stripe, 02 March 2013 - 12:19 AM.

#10 FEMAE

FEMAE

• Designer
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Unlike JPEGs, PNGs are lossless, so always use those and you'll be fine :).

#11 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

fuzz can happen when your doc is in the wrong format.. RGB instead of CMY is whats needed to be uploaded..
If any part of the doc has CMY even tho the doc global settings say RGB you can get fuzz.

I would recommend setting up an AI template just for DC.
Everytime you want to make something in DC then you open template from the Ai file and it will have all your settings.
Make sure 2 of your settings "Import files as and Convert colors to" are set to the same color as the document. This way everytime you import a vector/ raster / what ever image into that doc your sure it will keep the doc color format and not a hidden CMY.

Hope that makes cents.

Good Luck

#12 Elijah

Elijah

• Designer
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

I export mine using a A4 sheet size as .PNG with a 1024x724p 300dpi and never had any problems, im guessing most people these days use at least a 1024 width resolution so its not too big or too small, and DC resizes the preview to its 640x480 automaticaly with no loss in quality...I think!!!
Even on a smartphone it looks good so i guess im doing something right.

#13 Stripe

Stripe

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the info' people. It seems that there are several ways to achieve good presentation here. Now I just need to enter some more contests! (using PNG).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jonasmorais

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users