Mac Vs. PC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#1 LukePettett

LukePettett

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

I've always heard that Mac computers are better for designing than PCs. However, Macs are expensive and I was wondering what features (if any) do Macs have that justify their prices? (I'm currently using Windows 7 and I heard it has a similar user interface to Mac's user interface.)

Thanks,
Luke Pettett

• Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

There are no special features. Macs are just better :)
I Switched to Mac about 5 years ago and not coming back to windows.

#3 uyoxsoul

uyoxsoul

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

I still use my Windows 7 ;)

#4 LukePettett

LukePettett

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

There are no special features. Macs are just better :)
I Switched to Mac about 5 years ago and not coming back to windows.

So, are you implying that I can't know how Macs are better than PCs until I try using one myself?

#5 relz2011

relz2011

Banned

• Banned
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

MAC is very good. P like the graphics and it is very secure to any viruses but it was very expensive rather than windows it is friendly user.

#6 LukePettett

LukePettett

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Being user-friendly is defiantly a plus; what are some user-friendly features Macs have?

I like nice graphics as well, but they aren't absolutely necessary.

#7 candyfloss

candyfloss

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Viruses are not a problem on PC if you invest in a good antivirus solution. Macs are expensive and mostly about eye-candy. User friendliness? Adobe illustrator has same layout both for PC and Mac. And the largest user base means solution to virtually any problem you might have on Windows.

#8 abajanda

abajanda

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Viruses are not a problem on PC if you invest in a good antivirus solution. Macs are expensive and mostly about eye-candy. User friendliness? Adobe illustrator has same layout both for PC and Mac. And the largest user base means solution to virtually any problem you might have on Windows.

I have to agree with candyfloss. Personally I've been a Mac user for many years now and fell to the "never-going-to-windows-trap". I still have my gorgeous MacBook Pro but I recently purchased an ASUS g75v and to be honest..... it's all the same, minus the prices. Comparing hardware, they're all the same (Intel-based, NVIDIA graphics card with the 2012 retina display macs, amongst many others) Prices are more about brand and programming. The mac OS is way more user friendly than windows, only because its designed FOR designers in mind with very little programming skills, so it can help us focus more on the visual aspects rather than functionality of the equipment. PC's are way cheaper probably because they're huskier than macs and more prone to headaches if you can't figure how to trouble shoot it. But to put it in simpler terms:

MAC:
More expensive
More attractive
Non-dedicated video cards (512mb) as opposed to more recent models, but of course that means an emptier pocket.
User friendly
Virus-proof (The less people using them, the less interest in trying to hack them)
And what really bothers me...... MASSIVE over heating problems. (Heed my word when I say that the slim design isn't so great for this issue)

PC's:
Kind of confusing....
Excellent rendering
Places you as solemn administrator and God over the machine (MACs are designed to keep you out of the technicalities.)
Much much cheaper
Designed for a better cooling system (depending on which model)
(The best part) Customizable =P

The programs?? THEY'RE ALL THE SAME. Again..... I use them BOTH.

#9 abajanda

abajanda

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

Being user-friendly is defiantly a plus; what are some user-friendly features Macs have?

I like nice graphics as well, but they aren't absolutely necessary.

What makes them user friendly is that you don't have to worry much about technical details. When you want something to work (your display, formatting, image burning, finding your files, connecting to the internet) Mac does everything for you. It's like spoon feeding. Just hit enter and it's doing it for you. Finding files on your dock, desktop and recent files is also much easier.

#10 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

Hate to date myself, but I've been using Macs since 1989! :) Love them!

I always say a PC is kind of like driving a Volkswagen, and a MAC is kind of like driving a Mercedes. Both are great cars and are going to get you to the same place, but you will get there in more style in the Mercedes! (MAC) LOL! ;) MACS are very stable and last FOREVER!

All kidding aside, abajanda breaks down the differences very well...

Edited by PaintedPony, 04 August 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#11 arthouros

arthouros

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

simple example

let's say you have

APPLE MC814 IMAC 27'' CORE I5 3.1GHZ 4GB 1ΤΒ AMD HD6970M 1GB WIRELESS KEYBOARD + MAGIC MOUSE EN

cost : 2000 euro

with the same money i think i can made one monster pc 3 times better than this mac.

#12 sergiourra

sergiourra

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:28 AM

The real realty

- Good designers are good whatever operative system they use.
- Tools for designers doesn't kill mediocrity.

Like PaintedPony I have been using Macs since... Well, say a few years before "PaintedPony start".

Like most of the designers I was not too exiting with the idea of buying a PC. However I did bought my first one in 1994 -paying the same prize of a Mac- and I was really taken with it.

Mac is like a Mecedes, I agree. You can have a nice driving on perfect roads and without to have too much driving skills. To fix a Mac (and believe me, they aren't as stable as the mythologists say. Mac are only more stable than standard PCs in the wrong hands) is expensive.

A PC is like a full terrain. With a PC you can go further but, like any other full terrain, it requires more skills than the ones that the standard "mercedes technology" users/consumers have. Also, as a full terrain could need more "stops in the route" than a Mac. It's normally true, but if you are a smart user of technology, you can avoid most of the stops.

Abajanda is right. If you aren't a smart user of technology, or you are lazy, don't buy a PC.

Reasons for buying a Mac

If you:

- have no problems spending money (so, you are snob) or
- think that wearing famous brands you'll be more charming (or beauty, or smarter or whatever) Most designers fit in that category, or
- are not too smart using technology, or
- don't want to go further (what the computer do for you is the limit you accept).

Then buy a mac.

An interesting phenomena

Some years ago to say that you where using a PC for your designs was like to say that you are gay or you got leprosy.

Fortunately more and more designers and illustrators are recognizing that they use PCs, even when applying for famous contests (no more lies). Just watch in youtube some of the great tutorials and speedpaintings from the masters. Pay attention: no apple in the left/top corner of the window :p

Cheers.

Edited by sergiourra, 14 August 2012 - 05:45 AM.

#13 sunface

sunface

• Designer
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

Apple has been around longer than the PC. If it was so good, why isn’t it the one selling 95% of the market share? The answer is simple. The bottom line is, do you want to spend twice or three times as much for an Apple so you can buy most of your software over again and relearn how to use a different operating system? I have used both and I am not impressed by Apple. If you buy carefully you can get a good deal on a PC system that is 1/3 the price of a comparable Mac. I have been using PC’s since 1992, at home and at work. Any time I get a virus I download free software and get rid of it in minutes. You can sing the praises of the Mac until the cows come home but the numbers don’t lie. Most people want the PC and the Mac can’t compete. It can’t compete on price, It can’t compete on software/hardware availability, and it just barely edges out the PC on reliability. Sorry Mac. You’re nowhere near a close second. The reason you don’t get many viruses is you’re insignificant. You’re not worth bothering with. At its peak the Betamax videotape format held a 30% market share and then died. The Mac is nowhere near that popular and where is it now?

#14 StacieMac

StacieMac

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:49 AM

I don't think you'll ever find a definitive answer to the Mac vs. PC debate. Each person has their own preference. I use both, as I have for many, many years. While my Mac is more stylish, I cannot say there is anything I can do with it that I cannot do with my PC, and vice versa. I think the key for all designers, or anyone who spends hours a day with their computer, is to find a system that you are comfortable with and that aids you in creating your best work rather than hindering you with minute annoyances.

#15 kwik

kwik

• Designer
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

i use windows7 but i like MAC....

#16 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

Not sure where to start, but not to stretch more, MAC without doubt. vector, image, 3D and more. no virus problems, kernel and dll files etc etc etc.. invest in a MAC and see the difference. as others say, have a MAC is not being snob, really focus on quality and working conditions it provides.

#17 karlito31

karlito31

Banned

• Banned
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

Macs are PCs nowadays. Same hardware. Only different looks.

#18 cfmenz

cfmenz

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

I have found that macs are more widely used by designers, so if you do work with other people frequently, it is a plus to go with a Mac. They are more stylish, for sure. I think the overheating issues are really just the slim laptops. iMacs are the best Mac for the money.

#19 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

I bought a new 27" iMac and I love it. I will tell you that it's very easy to find you files and its just more of user friendly os. Now the down side of it for me is that if you wanna take your designing in to other parts like I have been in the past couple of weeks with vinyl cutting...it can be a pain. Most machines that are for vinyl cutting are made to run on windows better and it can be a hassle to get it all setup to work. But back to about designing....... I did about my first 10yrs of designing on a windows os. And it ran well but I hated that I had to always fix my PC and it just got annoying so when it was time I did my re-search and upgraded to my iMac. I know I will never use a windows PC for designing but I will use it for cutting vinyl and anything else that comes along.

Edited by Squewheet, 20 November 2012 - 07:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users