Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

How do I make a wave gradient with-in Text in illustrator ?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 cpuccio

cpuccio

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

I am a design student and I am quickly finding out that the instructors do not take you deep enough into the adobe programs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao,

C. Puccio.

#2 sanonyp

sanonyp

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Illustrator is not for effects so I think it is not possible. Or, it is very difficult to carry out that effect in Illustrator. I suggest you to use Photoshop. :D

#3 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

What do you mean by wave gradient? Do you have a sample image you could post?

I am a design student and I am quickly finding out that the instructors do not take you deep enough into the adobe programs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao,

C. Puccio.

#4 cpuccio

cpuccio

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Similar to Web 2.0 Type Design Text ... Is that done in illustrator or do I have to transfer the vector graphics into photoshop and further edit ?

#5 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Are you just trying to make just some gradient text. Or do you know how to do that and your wanting to add that nice glossy effect.

I made a tutorial on how to make gradient text in illustrator. I don't know if you know how to do this but this is how to do it. If you want to know more just let me know.

Attached Files

Edited by Squewheet, 24 July 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#6 Edeng

Edeng

• Designer
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

thank you!!

#7 JvZ

JvZ

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Thanks dude!

#8 servspot

servspot

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

you can watch it NEW! Adobe Illustrator Tutorial! Make Comic Style Text! - YouTube

#9 DESIGNKB

DESIGNKB

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

You past a gradiënt into the text works for me

#10 alainboujawdeh

alainboujawdeh

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

nice question

#11 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

Reason why most instructors dont give you all that Adobe has to offer is because they probally dont know all of it..
Oh turst me I have been an Adobe user for over 20 years and have to say that I still am learning each and every program.

Take photoshop as an example. You can do the same effect with about 10 different ways to reach that same effect some easier than others. Or you are able to apply a gradient to an element 5 different ways. ok may not be actually 10 different or 5 different ways but you get my point.
Illustrator example... You can use the 3d effects or you can make your own from scratch or you can use the scew, transform and warp effects to get the same or sometimes better results.

So this is whay your Instructor may not have told you about this or that about adobe.. They probally dont know. YES Abode is to powerful for most of us to have our hands on.. I would say only 5% of the adobe population really know every knook and cranny and the rest of the world just designs with the basic knowledge about the applications.

SO TO answer your topic there is not one way to make a wave gradient.
but I will tell you couple ways,

1) you can use the gradient sliders and spec colors that you want into the specific areas that it is needed.

2) you can draw a path to where you want the colors to be and use the pathfinder panel to get the portion you need.

3) you can use the gradient mesh { which is the best way to go if you are doing numerous colors and effects to one element } more like if your doing a portrait or rendering a car... Something that needs very high detail and requires numerous multiple colors.

Those are just a few ways to make a wave. The top is the easiest and the bottom would be the hardest.. yes I am still learning gradient mesh techniques to this day and probally will til the end of my life.. Yes is actually worse than Adobe apps itself. really mesh is an easy thing to learn but super duper hard to master just like all adobe products.

As I mentioned before that everything you use for designing .. your computer, the applications that you use to design, the font management systems etc etc NO MATTER if its for Pc or Mac they are just TOOLS. Just like a mechanic has his toolbox.. Yours is your computer... That has wrenches and screw drivers and pliers etc etc.. those would be wrench/ photoshop, screwdriver/ illustrator , pliers / flash.. etc etc etc hope you get my point. They are all tools an extention of your creativity but the main thing is using the right tool for the right application... You dont use a hammer to loosen a bolt? err usually unless the bolt is rusted lmao. Yeah if you have ever used crayons and paint brushes then those would be tools too and you can classify that like crayons/ illustrator , and , paintbrush / photoshop. So breaking down everything to the basics makes it mush easier.. err well for me it is.. to know what effect, warp, pathfinder etc etc etc tool your going to use.

How ever you do it what matters is that you have composed your vision to where it meets your clients and your standards. Dont ever think I had a client ask " Oh how did you make the words bend like that or something to that matter" they just want the brand they envisioned.

Hope this helps

Always Dream about Concepts

Aloha

Edited by Dskwkrs, 14 August 2012 - 12:18 AM.

#12 sunface

sunface

• Designer
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hi cpuccio
Visit for lot of option for text effect
Adobe Illustrator - Gradient Wave Text Effect

#13 rahulsingh

rahulsingh

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Good information :cool:

#14 SIHEM

SIHEM

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

When you convert the text into outline, it becomes a vector just like a square or circle. So go ahead and use gradient as you use for the shapes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users