• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#1 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

What's the best format/procedure for exporting vector work from AI to CD? I know technically this is an Illustrator question, but I think the better answer would come from CD users, so I'm asking here. I have a client that uses corel - I've used it once about 10 years ago :( I've looked around on-line, but it's all AI users taking their best guesses - which isn't really helpful. Thoughts?

thanks for your help!

#2 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

soooooo...no one then?

#3 DM3

DM3

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:33 AM

Save it as an .eps or .pdf. Make sure to convert all the text to outlines.

#4 rahulcreations

rahulcreations

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

converting it to .eps is the best I fond till today.

#5 DesktopDesigns

DesktopDesigns

Banned

• Banned
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

Save it as .pdf then open corelDRAW and the open work are > minimize the window > select the newly created .pdf > drag to Corel DRAW window > put it on stage ...

#6 asti

asti

• Designer
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

if you have gradients or transparencies it may not work (you have to create them again in corel after saving at spot colors)- you can try with the svg also .

#7 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Save it as .pdf then open corelDRAW and the open work are > minimize the window > select the newly created .pdf > drag to Corel DRAW window > put it on stage ...

I don't have Corel - that's the problem. It's for a client.

#8 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Apparently .pdfs don't work for him - particularly with text. he said, "The text gets all screwy and jumbled"

#9 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

You have to explain, that Illustrator is an industry format. If he needs fully editable and compatible file he needs to use AI. You can't have all fully licensed software available on market. If it doen't help, you have to export file to .eps and remove all goofy effects, transparents and gradients from the graphics to maximize the compatibility. Make everything on one layer. If you had a Corel you could play with it by exporting/importing but in this case you need to be cautious. Provide him with pdf file also without effects and gradients. Make graphic simpler.

I don't know what kind of graphics you've done, but you shouldn't provide client with a fully text-editable content. Make curves out of them (outlines).

#10 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

It's a label template for a product that varies from batch to batch - outlining wouldn't be helpful. There aren't any effects - it's solid shapes - all strokes have been outlined. It's not the images that are problematic - I was wanting to know if there was a solution that allowed for editable text. .Pdf format leaves the text "live" - but doesn't maintain the integrity of the text box, so it's fragmented and not legible when opened in Corel.

We decided that it was easiest for me to give him a native .ai file saved down to CS2 and have him create his own text boxes. (that also kept everything in 4C mode, rather than .svg RGB-mode.)

#11 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

thanks for the suggestions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users