How do I make a 3D cube in illustrator?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Mimoza

Mimoza

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

I wanna create a 3D cube in illustrator but when I try it with extrude & bevel even if i change the color of the stroke and path I can't choose a different color for every side...
Any idea?

#2 TheDesigner03

TheDesigner03

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

You can either draw it manually - For a 2" cube: draw a 2x2" square. On top of that, make a 2x1" rectangle. On one side of your square, make a 1x2" rectangle. Shear the top rectangle horizontally 45degrees; shear the side rectangle vertically -45degrees. You can attach the three sides either by grouping or adding the shapes in pathfinder.

Or you can make a blend - draw two boxes; place one in front of the other, with one corner of the front box meeting the center of the back box. Fill the boxes with different colors. In the Blend options dialog box (Object --->Blend --->Blend options), select "specified steps" and increase the number (it defaults to 8). The larger the number of steps, the smoother your blend will be. Click OK. Go back to Object --->Blend --->Make blend.

#3 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

You have to expand the effect in order to change the colors.. and i would not be using any strokes when using effects for they may give unwanted results. If you dont want to expand the effect then you can do the effect set it as a guide and with the pen tool or ellipse trace the dimensions then add your fills and strokes.

Hope this helps
Aloha

#4 Radha

Radha

• Designer
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

Hello and Hi,

Just visit How to create a Rubik’s Cube in Illustrator to increase your knowledge.

#5 Mimoza

Mimoza

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

Thanks to all of you for your answers. I tried them all and they seemed to work but the easiest way seemed to be from @ Dskwkrs.The expand tool really helped me cause I'm new to Illustrator.Thanks again!
Best regards

#6 REC

REC

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Very very beautiful tutorial!!!

#7 anand224patel

anand224patel

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

Good Tutorial ,Helps very much.

Thank You.

#8 baumax

baumax

Banned

• Banned
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Yea, You have to expand object after effect and than you will be able to change the collors as you wish. Though, expanding object with gradients is problematic to say the least.

#9 HUH

HUH

• Designer
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

hi all plz guid me how to create 3d Cube in Photo shop?

#10 HUH

HUH

• Designer
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

how to join 2 psd in one?

#11 fantasthink

fantasthink

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

You can change the colors on the Style/appearance tab too. Select the cube and click on the Styles tab. Than you'll see the color swatches that are in use within the effect. Click on the swatch you want to change and choose a new color. This way you may continue to try different effects before expanding the appearance.

#12 rajagee

rajagee

• Designer
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I think thedesigner03, post very good, very intristing, i learn more & more Today thanks for post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users