Rate the Brief

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 polyesterdress

polyesterdress

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

I think it would be great to have a feature that allows you to rate the CH's brief. Some of them give you no more than a sentence to work from and then quickly eliminate entries for going "in the wrong direction." What direction?! I've given up on those. It doesn't reflect greatly in the stats at the close of the contest when only a few were willing to participate.

#2 DESIGNKB

DESIGNKB

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

yes totally agree, i am frustrated about this too sometimes.
i work sometimes on another website who uses a standard form
they (ch)have to fill in...maybe idea here too?

#3 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36594 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Due to that, or opposite to that, long time ago, I found somewhere among DC threads funny link, can't remember where exactly, but I had it my bookmarks... here it is:
How Low Can Your Logo » Finalist
:)

#4 DexMind176

DexMind176

Banned

• Banned
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

I think it would be great to have a feature that allows you to rate the CH's brief. Some of them give you no more than a sentence to work from and then quickly eliminate entries for going "in the wrong direction." What direction?! I've given up on those. It doesn't reflect greatly in the stats at the close of the contest when only a few were willing to participate.

Yea.......... some times, even its difficult to find the company name..............really some CH makes lots of confusions

#5 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Sometimes the Contest Holder forget also to insert the name of the Company.
It there was a way of rating the brief the 90% would be in "wrong direction"

#6 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36594 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hahahahaha
well, I wouldn't agree over 90%:)... still, including the CH's ratings (even high ratings) and their's feedback that I do come across lately, is very close to 90%.
:)

#7 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

Yes Babbba... and we meant to write *if instead of "it" ;) ;)

#8 SpyMouse

SpyMouse

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

I see many contests where the brief is too brief. They should put as much information as they can if they want great designs.

CH orlove2006 recently set up 3 contests all with a one sentence brief.

#9 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36594 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Don't worry about it, I got you at first:)

#10 ideasstudio

ideasstudio

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:34 AM

I have confusions of some brief, read & work on the brief but ended the winner didn't follow the brief win.

#11 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

I've been away for a little while ... I don't know if the Brief is about to change, but there's something really weird to me .
I mean before the project Description, the first information should be : company Name and tagline if there's one .

#12 StudioStevens

StudioStevens

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

I agree somewhat. Maybe not rate them....but maybe the CH should have to write a certain amount of information to even hold a contest. The brief not only helps them get better logos, but it helps inspire us designers to create the best product. So frustrating when there is an awesome subject and all you get is a one liner!

#13 polyesterdress

polyesterdress

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

Maybe it shouldn't even be called a brief...instead maybe "Clearly Documented Expectations?" :) (kidding, kind of)
Also, never being a CH, myself, I'm not sure how much information is being asked of them. Is there a form requiring business name, description of business, example competitors, etc.? If there isn't, there should be. Us designers should get to make that checklist. :cool:

#14 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

I think that this could be a good idea. There could be a star rated system for the designers. And we could rate the brief and then if the brief gets rated below so many stars then it will let the admins and the ch know about it. And if the ch don't update the brief with more info about what they want in so many days. Then they admins will contact them and let them know they need to update the brief.

#15 Hooda

Hooda

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Good idea
As certain briefs not help designers to start design
This can alert CH that brief required more presentation

#16 DESIGNKB

DESIGNKB

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

To me simple list will do : name Company, wishes in Colors maybe fonts etc
Let also soms room for creativity

#17 WJK

WJK

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

I think the above are edging towards it, but wouldn't a few basic text fields (Logo Text, Tagline, Website etc) for the Contest Holder to fill in make the whole brief thing work better for non-English-speaking or incompetent CHs?

#18 Premiumlogo

Premiumlogo

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Well its a great idea. Provision of rating the 'Brief' would be helpful for the Contest Holders also. Low ratings to their Brief would be an indication to them to provide further details in their Contests to get better results.

#19 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

We think that DesignContest has all the interest in having Designers to be able in developing a GOOD design.
A complete brief is essential at the same time for Designers and Contest Holders.
Better Brief = Better Logo

#20 Jinn

Jinn

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

I agree that briefs need to be better or having more extra linked information.

Rating can give to CH the clue that maybe they can get a better design by improving the brief. Since probably some already have them selfs that doubt : if they have given enough information.

The clue for us about "what wrong direction"? when a design is rejected. That would still need other solution.
Maybe a short check list when they reject a design (has an option). Something like :
What is wrong in this design?
Font / concept / shape / everything ..

Edited by Jinn, 21 September 2012 - 11:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users