Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Must See! Some Interesting Statistics on DC designers!

charts designers info statistics stats

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

Some interesting statistics that you must see! :)
NOTE: Since only top 100 designers data is available to the public this is quite a statistic samble
and its interpretation may be extended to the whole designers universe in terms of percentages.

Posted Image
Chart 1

Posted Image
Chart 2

Posted Image
Chart 3

Posted Image
Sample data

What do you think!?
Nice hu?

Leave some comments :)

Regards,
--
jjy

Edited by jjyepez, 29 August 2012 - 03:38 PM.
Avg Stats Added

#2 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36601 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

This is Top 100 right?

#3 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

This is Top 100 right?

Yes.
Charts are based on top 100 designers only ...
What do you think?

• Guests

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

we need to calculate medals per designer average so see which country has the strongest designers :)

#5 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36601 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

I like perspective cut you made. You should highlight it is TOP 100. Also, it would be good to set the total number of designers per country (not only 100)... then we will get more realistic picture. Quantity vs Success/Success vs. Quantity.

Can you make statistics for rule violence (coping, clip-art, etc) by countries too?:)

#6 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

Great statistics jjy.. proud to be part of the top 100 :)

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#7 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

we need to calculate medals per designer average so see which country has the strongest designers :)

@resurepus:
Done!
What do you think?
Interesting hu?

@like an angel:
Nice! Now check out Chart 3 ;), you'll be even more proud ..

Kind Regards,
--
jjy

#8 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Updated!
Chart 3 added.
--
jjy

#9 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

Wah...decolympics....hehehe
Nice:)

Edited by morabira, 29 August 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#10 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

I've noticed that about every contest that I'm in that there is usually someone from the Philippines in the top three or they have won. This is a great post and nice to see this info.

#11 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:28 AM

Did you already see this?
What do you think about these stats?
Share your thoughts with us,
Regards,
--
jjy

#12 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

Waouh ... venezuela, 3 designers, 14 average gold medals !!!! THAT is very impressive.

#13 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36601 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

That speaks about quality, so as next five lines:D

#14 TIGERdesign

TIGERdesign

• Designer
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

WOW!
that's interesting data, and a little hard to explain :confused:
can anyone share with me this thoughts:
United State population over 300 million.
leader with: technology (hardware& software), learning resources, ART teachers...etc

Philippines population below 100 million.
late in: technology (compare with US), learning resources, ART teachers...etc

but when you see the statics here, you don't get it.
is it because of the low individual income in Philippines? so the designer find this site more convenient and give more time working on project ?.

#15 buntstift

buntstift

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

i'm sad, that austria isn't in the top100 yet but i'll try to change that in the nearer future ;)
RESPECT to the philippine designers! i've seen many of your designs and they're really great :)

#16 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36601 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

Tiger,
I don't think they are late with technology, not in any way.
Simply, those 2 countries (mine as well) have different life standards, different GDP, etc...
For example - the minimal hour wage in my country (if you get the job:-P) is about $1,25, while far as I could see in US (depending on a fed. state) is a bit above $7.00. Also, there is huge difference in life standard, production, economics, laws, etc... and of course big problem with unemployment - in my country at this moment is huge 43%, while US isn't going above 10% (I think I picked right data).
I wish fellow designers from Phili and other countries would share their facts.
Now, for each country, average contest price has different meaning of being profitable, meaning would it cover your life expenses. For me, 3 won contests per month would cover it, with no extra expense.

Still.... many designers are not here for the money only, but as being addictive to express their creativity or for the challenge.
:)))

#17 PeachyKeenWeb

PeachyKeenWeb

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

Yes, it's all about cost of living.

Winning 3 contests per month would not even begin to cover expenses here in the US -- you would be living in poverty. Poverty level for a single person in the United States is $931/month or the equivalent of making $5.37/hour. It has nothing to do with technology or the quality of designers from one country versus another -- it's all about money.

In the US, a graphic designer can make $20/hour on average (with the potential to earn much more). Therefore, when you consider the possible rewards of winning a crowdsourcing contest such as this versus the time involved (and the luck) to actually win a contest, it's just not worth it. As a professional graphic designer, your time is much better spent on a paying job -- why waste your valuable time gambling on something you may not win. I would venture a guess that most US designers are competing in Design Contest simply for the challenge, to build their portfolios, or because truthfully, they are second-rate designers. It's a known fact that professional designers in the US avoid spec work and crowdsourcing -- there are those who consider it to be the scourge of graphic design.

However, if you come from a less-developed country, you have much more incentive to work hard at submitting and winning contests. What is considered poverty-level wages in the US could easily take care of an entire family in other parts of the world! The potential rewards are far greater for those who are used to earning very little by US standards, hence the large representation from countries which are generally poorer than the US.

#18 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

This is getting more and more interesting.
Interesting points of view are emerging.
Please keep the politeness and bring up your thoughts.

What do you think about this?

Best regards,
--
jjy

#19 TIGERdesign

TIGERdesign

• Designer
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

Tiger,
I don't think they are late with technology, not in any way.

oh i didn't mean that now "they lake the technology". what i meant is this generation didn't have the technology long ago compared with the US. sorry my mistake :)
and for the rest, i agree with you.

many designers are not here for the money only, but as being addictive to express their creativity or for the challenge

for me, i'm a pharmacist. i never got in graphic school, not even an institute. i love to see inspiration designs and media and learn how they do it, i teach my self by "trying", just open Adobe lovely illustrator or photoshop, and try the tools and what i can do, it's amazing how easy they are.
when i started work as freelancer, even it was partial work like entering one or tow contests per month, i had to pay a lot of money to get the Adobe Creative suite "Adobe Design Premium CS5.5". first, i didn't think i will be paid for my work because i'm not professional, i don't know most of the program technique. but the funny thing is i got paid from contests enough to be happy with and cover the big amount of money i had to pay Adobe.
i have to say, i don't find the contests fun any more. it doesn't give me the opportunity to draw what i think will be good, no, i have to follow what the employer want for his project. still, i can always get to know more and develop more skills in designing :)

_____

Yes, it's all about cost of living.

Winning 3 contests per month would not even begin to cover expenses here in the US

oh it's interesting, made think about other factors..
for example:
i'm from Syria (in the middle-east) but i live in Jordan,
where i came from, a 400$ will be enough for single guy and especially for designer it will be like "AWESOME!" because designers don't get paid high enough for there work.

___

let me tell you people something funny: in Syria, we don't even know what internet crowdsourcing is :confused:
we don't have the luxury of fast internet, it's so expensive (till 3 years ago).
also, we only had the technology of credit card for the internet tow years ago.

#20 vart4riony

vart4riony

• Designer
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

in my country $150 is a lot of money, it's the equivalent of one month's salary
but I am not here to make money, just for leisure and creativity
how about you?.... money, creativity, or something else?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: charts, designers, info, statistics, stats

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users