What is a good logo?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

After a few months here in DC, I question myself about what is a good logo. is hard to understand, start believing that good logo does not exist and that all depends on the client's final approval. I've watched dozens of contests where the winner in the eyes of the community of designers, not far from deserved to have won that contest because it was a weak logo, or copied, or did not know how to use colors, alignment, fonts etc etc etc. The client dictates the final judgment, and for good or bad, just respect by the final result. but honestly, it is often frustrating, I've heard on this forum that a logo is done in 15 minutes, I was shocked, shocked beyond think it's a lack of respect for the end customer. So, what is a good logo? a very good designer that we can be, I think as a professional, which is often a matter of luck. and that's why we all work so we can have the luck to make ... a good logo.

Z

#2 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

zounds, that's a good question, I am relatively new to DC and I admit that I was already impressed, but we have to respect, although sometimes disagree and see Great logos remain the way but there are choices we do not understand, and I think all designers already were perplexed, but there is nothing to do CH is that makes the final decision, There are competitions that I think is worth entering because I will do something that is not to my liking

Edited by zeca, 17 October 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#3 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

In the end, unfortunately, it's the CH's loss if he/she selects what may not be the most appropriate logo to represent their company or service. In the majority of cases, their personal tastes get in the way of making rational decisions. A designer might come up with a very clever design with good use of color and proper kerning, but many clients won't even notice; they'll choose the "nice and shiny" one that looks like it's been coated with 40 layers of varnish :confused:

#4 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

I have noticed in my past experience with making logos....."Simple Is Better". But like Happy said usually the CH tends to let there personal taste get in the way and they choose and design that might really not work for there business. But you always got to remember that in the end it the CH's choice to choose what they want........even if we don't think it's right choice.

#5 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

That is, by what I've seen, I believe there should be CH who have repented of their choice

#6 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

hello guys, the question is really this, the client always has the final judgment, but above all we must be humble and accept the end result, however unfair that may be. keep up the good work for everyone .... and do not forget to build ... Good logos :)

#7 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36575 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

It always comes back to CH personal taste, even sometimes it is opposite of their's brief, they get lost during the process.

But we also have personal taste, don't we?:D

#8 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

that's right zounds and babba, go forward and good work and good luck to all

#9 landrum75

landrum75

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

I agree it is very frustrating. I've seen some very impressive designs on here where I thought for sure they would win only to be eliminated. I'm not sure what some of these CH's are thinking at all.

#10 latifcetinkaya

latifcetinkaya

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

Sorry. My English is not very good. I wish I could tell my mind.
You're so right. I agree with you. Yes, some people are more fortunate. But the client also develop aesthetic direction :) ... Always the best design win.

After a few months here in DC, I question myself about what is a good logo. is hard to understand, start believing that good logo does not exist and that all depends on the client's final approval. I've watched dozens of contests where the winner in the eyes of the community of designers, not far from deserved to have won that contest because it was a weak logo, or copied, or did not know how to use colors, alignment, fonts etc etc etc. The client dictates the final judgment, and for good or bad, just respect by the final result. but honestly, it is often frustrating, I've heard on this forum that a logo is done in 15 minutes, I was shocked, shocked beyond think it's a lack of respect for the end customer. So, what is a good logo? a very good designer that we can be, I think as a professional, which is often a matter of luck. and that's why we all work so we can have the luck to make ... a good logo.

Z

#11 cfmenz

cfmenz

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

It can definitely be discouraging at times- in the end it is the decision of the CH. The CH should probably have a team on their end discussing it before making a final decision on their logo selection.

A good logo in my opinion is clear and should easily identify what the company/service does. It should also be able to stand the test of time.

#12 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Disagree with "fortunate", I think it's a matter of understanding what CH wants and follow his directrizzes, which is not to say that often the best logos (for me / us) fall by the wayside

Sorry. My English is not very good. I wish I could tell my mind.
You're so right. I agree with you. Yes, some people are more fortunate. But the client also develop aesthetic direction :) ... Always the best design win.

#13 Diab

Diab

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

In the end, unfortunately, it's the CH's loss if he/she selects what may not be the most appropriate logo to represent their company or service. In the majority of cases, their personal tastes get in the way of making rational decisions. A designer might come up with a very clever design with good use of color and proper kerning, but many clients won't even notice; they'll choose the "nice and shiny" one that looks like it's been coated with 40 layers of varnish :confused:

^ This.

I've only been here a week and I've already seen that most CHs have no idea what good design is. With their logo selection and judgement, you'd think they are still living in the dark ages of the 1990's of websites and design. Flashy neon colors, wacky comic sans typography, scrolling marquees and all.

15 minutes for a logo? Even the simplest one should take at least twice that time to get to a stage of perfection. I'm currently working on a three-part logo for a contest here and I've completed one part so far, which took me ~3-4 hours alone.

#14 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36575 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

15 minutes - ha, that is a joke, an insulting joke! If I were a client and heard such a thing from designer, we would be done, instantly and forever.

#15 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

babba agree with you, but each has the abilities to be a good designer, I believe that it is necessary "mental gymnastics", but 15 minutes, only if it is already done and make up some changes

#16 kowan

kowan

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:49 AM

I think a good logo in this contest is a logo that match to the contest holder's brief and taste, no matter how simple it is or complex logo submitted. Even though everyone here made amazing and beautiful logos, but sometimes it doesn't look good for the contest holder. But it is very hard for the new member, since the submission is still limited.

#17 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hi kowan, you're right, but often the CH asks one thing in brief and then the end result is different, it is best you submit just one logo and waiting for the rating to see what he wants, likes, etc.

#18 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hi kowan, you're right, but often the CH asks one thing in brief and then the end result is different, it is best you submit just one logo and waiting for the rating to see what he wants, likes, etc.

I hate when that happens, when the CH doesn't even follow his or her own brief. I know the CH may have a change of heart midway through the competition — some then update the brief to reflect their new changes (which is a good thing) but most don't so this. So in the end it's a guessing game.

#19 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

no doubt this is true and happens in most competitions

#20 kowan

kowan

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

I think in every competitions when we have to fulfill what the contest holder requested, is NOT about a GOOD LOGO, or AMAZING LOGO, but it's about what they LIKE / DISLIKE or what the WANT. Just like a cooking competition, the best chef in the world could fail the contest because when all the chef in the world said the cooking is PERFECT... but the contest holder said too salty, too sweet, too spicy, etc. So, when we feel that we have submit a GOOD logo, and anyone submit AMAZING LOGO, but not the taste of the contest holder..it can be assure that they wont win the contest. Well, it's natural to have the best logo as the contest holder desired. Just, keep designing, who knows when we will be chosen as the winner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users